Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
larry2c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Almost Tijuana
Posts: 632
Help on fixing up an older trailer

Hi all. My mother in law lives in a 5th wheel in an RV park about a hundred miles from our home. We are in the process of moving her into a senior complex and part of that process will be getting her 5er sold (2002 Alfa Gold 38RLTES). I was at the park today looking over the trailer and one thing that is very apparent is that the seals on all the slides are completely dry rotted. I've not pried them out to see exactly what they look like but I assume that I can find a replacement seal out there that sells by the foot (FWIW, Alfa is no longer in business and so far I've not found any "seal kits"). In the attached pictures it looks like the seals are simply held in place with screws into the siding of the trailer - probably some GeoCell sealer in there as well but who knows. Has anyone replaced seals like these? Am I correct in how they are attached?

My next question has to do with the slides. I din't take a look at the actual mechanism today so I don't know if they are hydraulic or mechanical at this point. My question on the slides is this - the trailer has been parked and lived in with the slides open for 5+ years. Any suggestions on preparing to move them for the first time in half a decade? Shoot lots of WD40/silicone spray on all the joints and moving parts? Anything to watch out for?

I guess one other question would be - has anyone here ever owned an Alfa 5er before? Any tips on the mechanicals? I'm still hunting for the owners manuals and hope to get lucky next week.

Thanks all - especially since this has nothing to do with an FR product!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190827_133422.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	213600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190827_133430.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	213601  
__________________

__________________
I just want to be outside!!!
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 210RBXL
'11 F150 5.0
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
larry2c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Almost Tijuana
Posts: 632
I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Could a site admin please move this to the slide out forum?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
I just want to be outside!!!
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 210RBXL
'11 F150 5.0
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 782
Is there a reason to put good money into bad to replace the seals? An old neglected 5th wheel used for full timing at one park for years will bring wholesale offers.
Sell it where is and as is.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 18,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Could a site admin please move this to the slide out forum?

Thanks!
Done!
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
larry2c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Almost Tijuana
Posts: 632
That's a reasonable thought UpFlying and one I have as well. However, if I can put a few hundred bucks into it (and of course my free labor) and get an extra thousand out of it that extra $$ will be a big help to the MIL.
__________________
I just want to be outside!!!
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 210RBXL
'11 F150 5.0
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
clr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sherman Illinois
Posts: 937
Try RVupgrades.com for your needed seals they seem to have the most common ones. You have to determine the profile of the seal that you need and of course the overall length. Hope this helps you some.
__________________
Chuck & Sandra
Engineer/Teacher
2010 F350 CC 6.4
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,794
WD-40 not a lubricant

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Hi all. My mother in law lives in a 5th wheel in an RV park about a hundred miles from our home. We are in the process of moving her into a senior complex and part of that process will be getting her 5er sold (2002 Alfa Gold 38RLTES). I was at the park today looking over the trailer and one thing that is very apparent is that the seals on all the slides are completely dry rotted. I've not pried them out to see exactly what they look like but I assume that I can find a replacement seal out there that sells by the foot (FWIW, Alfa is no longer in business and so far I've not found any "seal kits"). In the attached pictures it looks like the seals are simply held in place with screws into the siding of the trailer - probably some GeoCell sealer in there as well but who knows. Has anyone replaced seals like these? Am I correct in how they are attached?

My next question has to do with the slides. I din't take a look at the actual mechanism today so I don't know if they are hydraulic or mechanical at this point. My question on the slides is this - the trailer has been parked and lived in with the slides open for 5+ years. Any suggestions on preparing to move them for the first time in half a decade? Shoot lots of WD40/silicone spray on all the joints and moving parts? Anything to watch out for?

I guess one other question would be - has anyone here ever owned an Alfa 5er before? Any tips on the mechanicals? I'm still hunting for the owners manuals and hope to get lucky next week.

Thanks all - especially since this has nothing to do with an FR product!
WD-40 is not a lubricant; it's a rust-preventative. Both WD-40 and silicone spray are too light for heavy mechanisms, except for maybe spraying directly on hydraulic cylinders. For bearings and rack-and-pinion gears, if you're really looking for something to spray, spray with white grease from the auto parts store.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3...m-grease/16164

It turns out that the WD-40 company does make such a product:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WD-40-SP...0240/205115708 (also at Amazon and other sources)
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Is there a reason to put good money into bad to replace the seals? An old neglected 5th wheel used for full timing at one park for years will bring wholesale offers.
Sell it where is and as is.
X2. It will be difficult to get much out of it if it has to be moved. Sell as is, where is if possible.
__________________
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2017 Wildwood 27 RLSS
2016 Ram 5.7L crewcab, 8 speed transmission
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 43
Tough situation, "Darn if you do, Darn if you don't. Selling is the art of finding a "buyer" and convincing them they need what you have. Rebuild the whole unit and you have a rebuilt unit for sale, now find that buyer. Sell as is, and be firm on your bottom dollar (more possible buyers). Rent it out, chancy, but, can be rewarding, and the unit doesn't have to be moved. good luck
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Sell it where is and as is.
I'd agree with this advice. Especially if there are other things on the site that you have to worry about. Shed? Deck? Screen room? Flowerbeds?

Sell it all as-is and you may have better luck.
__________________

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.