Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

HELP! Slide Problem

Just picked up my TT from storage to prepare for a trip next weekend. Tried to open the slide and the rear slide would move a few inches but the front side of the slide would not move.

It is a Schwintek in wall mechanism. Went to there site and found the trouble shooting and tried to release the break to get the slide out, but nothing works. It appears to me that the motor is froze up. As I can't get the slide open I can't release the motor mechanically.

I know I could bring it in for service, but chances of getting it in and repaired in time to leave on Friday or slim to none. I can use it manually for the weekend and bring it in when we get back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2012 Wildwood X-Lite 281QB
2011 Ford F150 XLT 5.0L 3.73
bayouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Team

just a question, you didn't happen to put the slide locks in, when you stored it?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Always Learning

Hate to leave you stuck (meaning, you get the slide out but are later unable to get the slide back in), but one of our schwintek slides is doing something similar- the rear slide pauses after extending a foot or so. If I push on it, it goes out.

Fortunately, coming back in hasn't been a problem. But every time we break camp, it's stressful! It is at the dealer now and they indicated that it's beyond the scope of what they can repair and are trying to get it returned to the factory. :-(
Old 07-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #4

Bikedan--I have never used any kind of slide lock.

Ependyad--Once I get it to open. I can disengage both motors which will allow me to slide in and out manually and use a slide lock (2x4) for travel. I can bring it in for repair once we get back.

At this point we can't use it as we wont be able to get in the kitchen cabinets or open the bathroom door wide enough to use. Cancelling our trip is out of the question as I have 4 little boys to answer to, and my wife have both take a three day weekend which is not an easy task. Last chance before school starts.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Schwintek In Wall Slide-Out

Schwintek Video Page

These might have your answer:

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
William

I had the same issue. The brakes on the in wall motor would not disengage following the procedires. I had to remove the gaskets on either side of the motors on the outside. There was one silver screw that enabled access to the motors where I was able to manually disengage them to push the slide in. These directions came from a PT factory rep when we were stuck with the slide out.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouboys View Post
Ependyad--Once I get it to open. I can disengage both motors which will allow me to slide in and out manually and use a slide lock (2x4) for travel. I can bring it in for repair once we get back.
Can you get inside to push the side of the slide that isn't going out? Maybe it just needs help starting if its twisting and binding...
Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #8

Thanks for all your comments. I've tried to push that side while the motor is running on the other side. I have unplugged both motors and push manually and this side will not budge. I even started taking the slide frame apart from the outside to get to the motor screw, but that was a much larger project than I thought and it is getting ready to rain.

I guess my only choice left is take it to the dealer and pray they can get it repaired by the weekend. Although that is doubtful as last time they kept it for three months and I had to call the factory myself.

It extremely frustrates me this unit is 18mos old and has been in for repair six times. Three of those times for the slide itself. I know I bought a entry level model and expected the finishes to be cheap, but I did not expect to have the problems with the mechanical items.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #9

Now I feel like a fool! After trying everything again, it mysteriously started working. Don't ask me what did the trick, because I don't know.

I examined everything after opening but did not see anything that would have caused it to lock up.

But anyway I guess problem is solved for now. Thanks again for your comments.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Save the link. You may need this again...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #11

I have a 2013 salera having trouble with slide & radio has been in shop for month forest river seems to be sitting on hands.
Dxn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #12

It's not a Forest River shop it's in. It's some service facility shop. Maybe you should look for a different one if you're unhappy with this one.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #13

That would a great answer if forest river shop had done it rite in first place. Sewer was at wrong angle ,radio on am bad static .

Privacy curtain would not because hole was drilled wrong.slide of corse, jacks not sycked. I love my Rv but thinking of trading this one in.
Dxn56 is offline   Reply With Quote