Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

How to adjust slide out

When I pull my slide out in, It is tipped up from the floor. I measured top and bottom distance from the outside wall and found the top at 38 1/4 inches and the bottom at 39. It appears the bottom must go in or the top come out some. The adjusting screws are handy but I don't know what to turn to make the adjustment. The photo shows the adjusters. This is on a Flagstaff V-Lite.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Team

A couple of questions.

Is the seal touching all the way around?
When it's fully out, does it tilt the same way and amount as when it's in?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
A couple of questions.

Is the seal touching all the way around?
When it's fully out, does it tilt the same way and amount as when it's in?
The seal touches all around except at the top on the rear side there is about an 1/8 gap at the very top. I have had no water intrusion issues since this happened. We came through the remains of a hurricane without water coming in.

Measuring on a wall it comes in next too, when the slide is in the top tilts back about 1 1/2 inch. The bottom is about 3/4 inch back from the wall.

Outside the bottom is out 39 inches when opens while the top is out 38. This measurement is the same on both the front and rear walls when extended.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

photos

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	3528
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	119447[/ATTACH]

Here are some photos. This just started doing this. It always came in flat. Now the floor is up about an 1 1/2 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	119446  
Old 09-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Site Team

In the top photo, the bolts on the vertical piece are for adjusting the height of the slide. The bolts on the horizontal piece are for adjusting it in or out to match the other side.

I'm a bit concerned because it sounds like you're saying that the slide tilts further on one side than it does on the other side.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm a bit concerned because it sounds like you're saying that the slide tilts further on one side than it does on the other side.
No it doesn't tilt horizontally. It tilts top to bottom. When in, the slide is out 1 1/2 inches further at the top than at the bottom. It tilts vertically. I can pull on the top of the box and bring the floor down to where it used to be. What puzzles me is all the seals are tight. The slide seems to operate normally except that the floor comes up so much higher above the inside floor when pulled in. This is something new so it concerns me that something is loose or broken somewhere. I guess I need to take it to someone to have them look at it. I don't want to be on the road somewhere and have it break all together.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Team

We're both concerned about the same thing.

Have you checked the adjustment bolts to make sure they're all good and tight? That's what I'd check first.

Then I'd check the slide rails under the RV to make sure they're still firmly mounted in the frame.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
We're both concerned about the same thing.

Have you checked the adjustment bolts to make sure they're all good and tight? That's what I'd check first.

Then I'd check the slide rails under the RV to make sure they're still firmly mounted in the frame.
I don't know the name of the parts but let me try to describe what I see.
The long gear driven bar (rail) that the adjusting bolts are on is firm and all is tight.
There is a tube alongside of it that has an adjustable metal boot or cone at the end of it. There is a lock nut against it to hold it in place. That nut was several threads away from it. It obviously had loosened. When the slide is pulled in that cone or boot is up against the frame. That tube also has quite a bit of play in it. I wonder if that is normal. Possibly something is loose behind the frame.

My daughter just had to have a slide rebuilt. She said the first evidence she had of a problem was the raised floor like I have now. She wishs she had looked into it when she first saw that. The rebuild was expensive. I guess I had better take it to someone.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #9
Site Team

The nuts on the tube aren't supposed to be snug against the bracket on both sides. That's the travel adjustment

There's a thread about slides that shows a picture of the gap.

You may want an experienced person to look at it, and hopefully it's just an adjustment.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
Ree

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Lite Fun View Post
[ATTACH]Attachment 119447[/ATTACH]

Here are some photos. This just started doing this. It always came in flat. Now the floor is up about an 1 1/2 inches.
Can you post a photo of the rail and the tube? The nut next to the tube is supposed to be tight and it sets the stop for the slide when in [outside seals]. The outer nut on that threaded rod sets the slide stop when out [inside seals].

With that nut next to the the tube loose, it most likely is pulling the slide in to tight and being at the bottom, cantilevers the whole slide up on the other end.
Hand crank the slide out about 1/4" and tighten that tube nut. Then run it out a foot and back in. If that take out some or all the tipping, your going in the right direction. Check the seals and fine tune as necessary.

GO TO > http://www.mybooklibrary.com/lippert...tem-prime.html

Mechanical Room Adjustment - Page 11
Ree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out