Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

How to know when slide out is all the way in or out?

So, dumb question. My TT don't come with a manual and no one told me when I bought it.

Do I run my slideout out until I hear "clicking" and it stops moving? Or do I stop before that? Same for bringing it in?
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

Run it out until it "clicks" (or rips, or burps, whatever) and then release the switch.

There's a little clutch in there that knows when to quit pushing out. That's the noise you hear, like on a good electric screwdriver with a variable torque setting. Same thing.

On the first few trips check to make sure all the seals are good and tight. If they do it right the first few times then don't worry about them anymore.

Same bringing it in.

BTW: I leave the exit door open when moving the slide room. You'd be surprised how much air is displaced. Makes the motors job easier. And airs out the trailer!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Run it out until it "clicks" (or rips, or burps, whatever) and then release the switch.

There's a little clutch in there that knows when to quit pushing out. That's the noise you hear, like on a good electric screwdriver with a variable torque setting. Same thing.

On the first few trips check to make sure all the seals are good and tight. If they do it right the first few times then don't worry about them anymore.

Same bringing it in.

BTW: I leave the exit door open when moving the slide room. You'd be surprised how much air is displaced. Makes the motors job easier. And airs out the trailer!
That's the way I heard it (and do it).

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
Learning a lot as I go...

Varies by slide...

I have one that beeps when all the way in or out. That is a small 4x4 slide with a controller module up front for the closet.

I have another that does the clutch stutter. It is a 12x8 monster for my living space.

You will also find that they have their own personality if you can watch them. My big slide does a bit of an angle shift just as it seats all in or all out that you can use as a clue to minimize the clutch stutter.

I like the suggestion to keep door open when putting slide in/out: good point about air volume change.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Upon further review, stevejahr has added some important details. My bedroom slide is opened/closed by cables. When its movement is complete, the electric motor sounds like it bogs down and stops. My two big slides with the ratchet chatter also seat before stopping (inside edges raise at the end of the run) so it's easy to predict when the ratchet chatter is about to start.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

X2 on leaving a door open for the air! Thanks Radio, good tip.

Mine also clicks as it reaches the limits in or out. And yes, it also shifts a bit lifting and setting in place just seconds before it stops. As stated, look at your seals on the outside to make sure they are completely tight against the RV body panels. If they are you are good, if not you need to get the dealer to adjust until they do fit tightly.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #7

Schwintek slide users should be making sure that slides are completely in, or out, during use. This synchronizes the motors. If they get out of sync one side will not go as far out, or in as the other. There is a way to correct this however it's probably best to not need to do that!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
So, dumb question. My TT don't come with a manual and no one told me when I bought it.

Do I run my slideout out until I hear "clicking" and it stops moving? Or do I stop before that? Same for bringing it in?
We have three Schwintek slides on our RV. The dinette slide ratchets when fully open and fully closed. The other two do not. According to the dealer, all are operating correctly. We were told to hold the switch in position (in/out) for three to five seconds after fully extending/retracting to make certain the slides are seated fully in either position. We have also learned that the slides should not routinely be in any half positions unless servicing.

Take a look at the video and watch it fully. The first part shows how to re-time the slide and the latter portion relates how to maintain the timing as explained above.

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out