Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #1

Hyd. Slide out won't retract

38fl 5th. Wheel the hyd. Slide outs will not retract. Battery is up and is plugged in to 50 amp service all I hear is a click from the front control center.
The battery switch is turned on. The battery shows 12.4 volts.
The rv is a 2016 cedar creek 5th. wheel.
Jerry3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3535 View Post
38fl 5th. Wheel the hyd. Slide outs will not retract. Battery is up and is plugged in to 50 amp service all I hear is a click from the front control center.
The battery switch is turned on. The battery shows 12.4 volts.
The rv is a 2016 cedar creek 5th. wheel.
Wish I could help more. Mine did same thing. Started being hard to retract, then hard to extend AND retract, etc etc etc.......until last October they started literally falling out while driving down the road. Leaked too, and was low on fluid.

Took it to dealer, original diagnosis was faulty manifold. Lippert required 'more tests' and they piddled with it and finally it just magically started working, and it works still today. Their best guess is "dirt was in the lines".

I have had a lot of issues, mostly all fixed......and so about the only thing I can think to put on my Service Request form for FROG is "Inspect entire hydraulic system, validate integrity, and replace whatever is necessary to ensure proper function". Dunno if that'll fly or not.

For your case, try looking at the reservoir. Mine was badly low when I finally figured out to go look at it!! Use the outside switch, somehow that seems to make a difference. Don't see how, but it does. Turn your shutoff valves for all 3 slides on and off several times.

Other than that, not sure what might help.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #3

How much oil in the reservoir with the slides out and the jacks down.
Mine shows about 2".
Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #4

I wish I knew better to answer. I can only judge it when the slides are IN and the jacks are UP........because you do not want to overfill it. If it is low when all is stowed, then it's low.

I know, that puts you in a Catch 22.

I sheepishly admit I don't know how 100% how to retract them manually, but it can be done. I generally know, but have never done it........ can you do that???

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #5

On the pump, there is a rocker switch. You could try that to see if your slides will retract. If not, there is a series of DC circuit breakers in the front compartment. If one of the breakers is tripped, a small red button will be sticking out on the side. I would go get you a picture, but we have an awful storm going on right now. The breakers have two wires connected to each one. Lastly, if you just have to get them in right away, you can operate the pump with an allen wrench. See page See page 17 of the following manual. http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ice_Manual.pdf

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
ImGoneCamping

Mine did the same thing last time we were out and got ready to leave. Click click click click. I discovered that you do not have to have the power switch on on the inside panel in order to use the remote switch in the outer compartment. It was actually the first time I had ever used the External switch to extend and retract the slide outs. At first I thought that was the issue, perhaps that switch isn't working. But then when I went inside and use the inside switch it also did not work. I had to try to extend and retract several times before they started going in. I check the fluid level and it seemed OK. I know this is a stupid question, but should there be more fluid in the tank when it is in or out? I'm guessing the fluid level would be less in the tank when the slide outs or extended. But I'm not sure.
MichaelDStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #7

That is correct. Best to add with all slides contracted. Can't overfill.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #8

The fluid reservoir is closest to full when all slides and jacks are in and up. Fluid is used, thus removed from reservoir, as they extend. That's why you don't necessarily want to add ATF fluid when slides are out and jacks are down..........the fluid is at an unknown lowest level. Wait till it's at it's highest known level, then add if needed.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #9

If you hear the clicking and then, it works, you could have a motor or solenoid problem.
The fluid in the reservoir is low when the levelers are extended and the slides are extended. As you pull in the slides and/or retract the levelers, the hydraulic cylinders push the fluid back to the reservoirs.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
KJPapa

Lippert customer service can tell you how much fluids should still be in the reservoir with the slides extended. I had the problem of slides not retracting about three years ago when I had a Silverback with hydaulic slides and I called them. They told me, and I measured, and it was low. Went to the local auto parts store and bought fluid, added a little and got them retracted then topped off. I can't find the phone number, but I do remember that I got the number from a mechanic that Coach Net (road side service) connected me to when I called them to see if they could help. I didn't take much fluid to get it within operating range on mine, but of course we don't know how low yours may be if that is the problem. I hope this helps. Good luck.
2017-178
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
ImGoneCamping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpapa View Post
Lippert customer service can tell you how much fluids should still be in the reservoir with the slides extended. I had the problem of slides not retracting about three years ago when I had a Silverback with hydaulic slides and I called them. They told me, and I measured, and it was low. Went to the local auto parts store and bought fluid, added a little and got them retracted then topped off. I can't find the phone number, but I do remember that I got the number from a mechanic that Coach Net (road side service) connected me to when I called them to see if they could help. I didn't take much fluid to get it within operating range on mine, but of course we don't know how low yours may be if that is the problem. I hope this helps. Good luck.

I'm not a hydraulic guru by any means but it seems to me that if hydraulic fluid is going to stop anything, it's pushing them OUT. If it runs out of fluid, it stops extending. Retracting, it would seem to already have fluid in the lines that would then be pumping out and back into the reservoir. Unless there would be an issue related to running out just when the slides get fully extended and air gets in the lines. Then it would perhaps cause a priming issue.

But one other thing crosses my mind...it's said that we should check the level when retracted....I've always thought that hydraulics actually worked both ways. Pushing and pulling. Which means about the same amount of fluid is used to push as to pull. The fluid and pressure would just be redirected from one way to another to achieve opposite goals. Pushing the cylinder in or pushing the cylinder out. Meaning the reservoir wouldn't fluctuate much. It's simply a holding place for extra fluid just in case there is some loss. Perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way. Either way, great topic. Everyone should make sure they know how to get those slides in manually just in case.
MichaelDStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #12

There should be a reversing solenoid on the side of the hyd pump near the top with white and black wires from it. This serves to reverse oil flow. Remove the connector with the wh/bl leads. Leave it dangle and try to retract the slides. Worked for me, prob may else where. I had jacks and slides out with that circuit out. The clicking is most likely that solenoid.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

I had a nearly identical problem last year.

Apparently, weak batteries caused the reversing solenoid to "chatter" and destroy itself, along with the hydraulic pump motor. Repair guy (God bless him) showed me how to run the pump with a drill.

All you need do is remove the sticker on the back of the pump, insert a 1/4" drive extension (or the wrong end of a screwdriver bit) into the 1/4" slot under the sticker and you can run the pump to get your slide(s) in and out until you can get it repaired. Use the isolation valves in the utility center so you're only running one slide at a time. E

nded up replacing the entire pump, solenoid and reservoir assembly for about $600 plus labor, AFTER replacing all four batteries. Been working fine ever since
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDStark View Post
I'm not a hydraulic guru by any means but it seems to me that if hydraulic fluid is going to stop anything, it's pushing them OUT. If it runs out of fluid, it stops extending. Retracting, it would seem to already have fluid in the lines that would then be pumping out and back into the reservoir. Unless there would be an issue related to running out just when the slides get fully extended and air gets in the lines. Then it would perhaps cause a priming issue.

But one other thing crosses my mind...it's said that we should check the level when retracted....I've always thought that hydraulics actually worked both ways. Pushing and pulling. Which means about the same amount of fluid is used to push as to pull. The fluid and pressure would just be redirected from one way to another to achieve opposite goals. Pushing the cylinder in or pushing the cylinder out. Meaning the reservoir wouldn't fluctuate much. It's simply a holding place for extra fluid just in case there is some loss. Perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way. Either way, great topic. Everyone should make sure they know how to get those slides in manually just in case.

Good theory but tank drops some visible level cause flat or outbound side of cylinder holds more oil than the piston rod side. The hose routes are not equal, with two jacks are parallel on the return side, individual extend circuits. I burned up a drill tryin to move the jacks. If the pump control is defective, the pump just recirculates and nothing will move, lived it.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #15

Found the problem the circuit breakers were tripped after I found them behind the copper strip in front of the Rv.
NOW the circuit trip every time I use the hyd.pump which is a real pain. I have to keep resetting as I level up the Rv and using the slide outs.
Why does it keep tripping?
Thanks everyone for the information.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #16

Hyd. Slide out won't retract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3535 View Post
Found the problem the circuit breakers were tripped after I found them behind the copper strip in front of the Rv.

NOW the circuit trip every time I use the hyd.pump which is a real pain. I have to keep resetting as I level up the Rv and using the slide outs.

Why does it keep tripping?

Thanks everyone for the information.

Breakers are much cheaper than Pumps/motors- Remove one and match it up for renewal. Or take voltage drop readings across the pump circuit while operating, should only be a few volts if really dragging could be bad pump motor. Change breaker first.

Tags
slide, slide out