Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

hydraulic slide not working

I own a 2005 All American sport toyhauler with two slides in the main living area. The slides have worked good for as long as I have owned it I went camping a while ago and when I was packing up the slides the kitchen slide on the left did not want to slide properly the side with the hydraulic ram (the front) came in fine but the othere end (the back) stayed put I had to go out side and push it in while my wife pushed the retract button. I think it jumped the track if there is one or a gear is frozen have not looked at it its been way to hot out to really looke at it. Any idea and how to fix this or what is wrong? I don't know the make of the slide I do know they are hydraulic the back side has like a track that might role on a gear? I have a sealed underbelly so I have not YET cut a access panel/hole to look up there. I really could use some help on this I hurt my shoulder last time I pushed the slide in
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotturner View Post
I own a 2005 All American sport toyhauler with two slides in the main living area. The slides have worked good for as long as I have owned it I went camping a while ago and when I was packing up the slides the kitchen slide on the left did not want to slide properly the side with the hydraulic ram (the front) came in fine but the othere end (the back) stayed put I had to go out side and push it in while my wife pushed the retract button. I think it jumped the track if there is one or a gear is frozen have not looked at it its been way to hot out to really looke at it. Any idea and how to fix this or what is wrong? I don't know the make of the slide I do know they are hydraulic the back side has like a track that might role on a gear? I have a sealed underbelly so I have not YET cut a access panel/hole to look up there. I really could use some help on this I hurt my shoulder last time I pushed the slide in
The fact that you don't report oil everywhere under the slide, chances are its not a hose or leaking fitting. Regardless if its hydraulic motor driven with a rack and pinion gear mechanism or a cylinder drive maybe one or two per slide. Its probably a solenoid control valve which will cause power application through a directional control valve to operate to hydraulic device. If you can locate the pump, the control valves will be attached to a manifold, allow system pressure to be directed to where its needed. You might be able to locate the defective valve by sound or lack of or voltage to the valve. Have someone operate a working slide then the bad one. Check your book there is often a way to bypass defective valves by opening a manual bypass. Hope that gives you a start.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

I have plenty of hydraulic fluid so yes no leaks and I only have on switch for both slides wish I separate switches for both. The hydraulic rams work fine unless there is a hydraulics that work the pinion gear for the back side of the slide. I am going out to my storage next weekend to work on it so I am trying to get all the info to arm myself with so its not a wasted trip.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Dallas Texas

Does the hyd motor run continuously or does it pulse? I've had this on mine and found I have to have a fully charged battery to assist while on shore power.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

It was a broken pin from the hydraulic motor to the gear drive.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotturner
It was a broken pin from the hydraulic motor to the gear drive.
Ah, so it was a whirr sound instead of a whine? Good troubleshooting.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #7

Yea it was an easy fix. I was not wanting to cut a hole in the sealed belly. But now that I did I'm glad I did I see now how everything is run and what I can get to if a repair comes up again like fuel line to the gen and if the other slide should happen to do the same thing. My front landing gear runs the same way and on the same trip that my slide broke the pin on the landing gear broke so I can only imagine the other slide will do the same I probably will just go ahead and change it out before that happens. Happy camping stay safe Scott