Old 03-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

hydraulics keep cutting off

I have a 2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA with hydraulic levelup system.

Over time my hydraulic pump has ran for less and less time until it cuts off. Most of the time it will cut off after a few seconds on its internal breaker/reset, but some of the time the little breaker on the main bus strip will pop out and I will have to push it back in to reset. This happens when trying to extend or especially retract the hydraulic jacks, as well as the room slides going in or out. It does it in cool or warm weather. It does it on battery power with fully charged batteries and even when hooked to shore power. I have changed to full synthetic transmission fluid which seemed to help a bit at first but that might have been just wishful thinking.

Does anyone have any insight into correcting this problem? I took it to my dealer yesterday for an estimate to fix hail damage (I was returning from the winter season in Arizona and ran into the hailstorm in north Alabama). I mentioned the hydraulic issue (that he witnessed as I ran jacks and slides in and out). His only advice was to put in bigger breakers.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Take the pump motor to a electric motor repair shop and have it inside cleaned and brushes checked.

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

I found this thread very helpful when my motor started acting up

Lippert electronic leveling plus motor

Lippert electronic leveling plus motor
jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #4

I pulled the electric motor off of my hydraulic unit. Took it apart and cleaned everything. The brushes were free in their slots and did not appear too worn. I cleaned up a very small amount of corrosion around the armature. The commutator looked shiny and clean. Put it all back together and test run it prior to installation, it sounded fine and was making no weird noise.
Reinstalled it on the pump unit and while it may be a tiny bit better, it is still tripping the breaker after 7-8 seconds (give or take). I put a dc clamp on amp probe on the hot wire to the motor and it is pulling around 55 amps and around 70 amps at start up. This is on batteries only. Shore power hooked up may show slightly less amps because of the voltage being nominally higher when the converter is operating.
Still do not know how many amps the motor is supposed to pull under normal operation but at the amps showing it would be equivalent to about a 1/2-3/4 hp motor, I would think.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Well, I finally figured out my trouble. My hydraulic pump motor has been kicking out repeatedly while running slides in or out and also extending or retracting the levelup jacks. I went to the trouble of pulling my hydraulic pump motor off, disassembling it, cleaning everything and putting it back together. It was always the same breaker that would trip and I would have to reset it.

Today, I pulled the breaker out and discovered that the way my CC bus strip is wired, they have stacked two of the 24vdc, 50 amp breakers on top of each other with a small copper bus strip connecting the output side of the two breakers. So actually, they have the current load for the pump motor shared between the two 50 amp breakers. The pump motor would run with one of the breakers but not the other. The one breaker that it would not run with (when they were in the circuit singly) did not show that it was tripped with the little button sticking out. Neither did it check as an open circuit with an ohm meter. But clearly, one of the breakers was not functioning.

This caused all the current load to flow through one 50 amp breaker instead of the load being shared across two breakers. By the way, my clamp on dc amp probe meter would show a running current of 55-72 amps while operating. So I'll replace both breakers since the one that has been tripping so often is probably a bit weak now.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #6

Good job "SlowrideHD", thanks for sharing the info so others may benefit from it
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #7

Received a new pair of 50 amp breakers today and installed them. Everything works perfectly. I sure went to an awful lot of trouble because I assumed that the one breaker of the pair that was not tripping was good. It was not. So all current was flowing through the one breaker when it was meant to go through a pair (in parallel).

Tags
hydraulic