Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Hoss3

Send a message via AIM to chuckhossler
Leaking slide

New to camping and wondered if anyone could offer thoughts. Bought 2014 252rl xl. Love everything but a leaking slide. Had it in twice for inspection since purchased 3 months ago. Seals all great. Was told water was tracking in via the top track. Was told slide topper wouldnt help but to off level so slide is tilted towards back and away from camper. Also told no other fix for this issue. I always thought trailer had to be level for fridge to work. Anyone have others ideas to prevent leaks from the slide tracks?
chuckhossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Site Team

If the seals are good and installed correctly, the slide shouldn't be leaking.

If you can post some pictures of the slide seals where the water is supposed to be 'tracking' in, we may be able to see something that needs replacing or adjusting that will fix your problem.

Is this a new left over model, or a used model?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

Just glancing at some pics, it looks like a Schwintek. The gear tracks on the side keep the wiper seals from doing as good as slides with no tracks on the side as the tracks pass through the wiper seals. It COULD have water run down the tracks and inside if the rain was heavy enough...however, the slide roof should angle down away from the trailer somewhat sending most water away from the trailer. The tracks will still be paralel to the ground (or should be) but water shouldn't be too much of an issue. If it were me, I'd double check the side to side level and make sure it's not high on the slide side. It shouldn't take much and, even if it's dead on, I might consider leveling just a little low on that side. The refrigerator needs to be "mostly" level, but doesn't have to be perfect.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Hoss3

Thank you for responses

Gentlemen
Thank you for the responses. The camper was used so no warranty help. The suggesstions about how water could be tracking inside is exactly what the repair manager stated was happening. The slide does not lean away from the camper when exactly level so i will try to utilize slight off level to move wayer away from the tracks and towards the front of the slide. Again my thanks for your thoughts and input.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #5

Just to clarify, the slides are generally designed to sit level but the roofs have a very slight slope away from the trailer. Also, if you're going to try a little off level, you want the water running away from your trailer so front to back isn't going to make as much difference as side to side. It shouldn't take more than 1/4" higher on the opposite side if this is what's happening.

Out of curiosity, how are you determining level? If someone previously installed levels on it, they could be wrong.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #6
Hoss3

Leaking slide

Thanks for the tip on exactly which way to go off center. I have been using the levels on the camper when i bought it. It actually never ocurred to me thst i should go inside and check those levels. I will check them this weekend. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

My Berk has a Schwintek slide that leaked. Stopped when I put a small bead of chalk at the outside end of the gear rail. Seemed there must be a hollow space on the inside of the gear that water would get in and travel the length of and empty inside.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here's a photo of a Schwintek slide/rail that might help clarify.

Be sure to check for caulking where the rail meets the outer edge of the slide.
The rail is hollow and water can enter and run between the rail and the side of the slide and run into the camper.

Be sure the caulking/sealant along the top of the rail where it fastens to the slide is intact.
Again, water can enter between the two and run into the camper.

And finally water will (and does) run along the top lip of the geared rail and runs into the camper.
Leveling (as mentioned) so the outside of the slide is ever so slightly lower will help this. A small dab of caulking on the top of the rail, right at the body seal, (when extended) can help divert the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SchwintekSlide.jpg
Views:	2343
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	121733  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Here's a photo of a Schwintek slide/rail that might help clarify.

Be sure to check for caulking where the rail meets the outer edge of the slide.
The rail is hollow and water can enter and run between the rail and the side of the slide and run into the camper.

Be sure the caulking/sealant along the top of the rail where it fastens to the slide is intact.
Again, water can enter between the two and run into the camper.

And finally water will (and does) run along the top lip of the geared rail and runs into the camper.
Leveling (as mentioned) so the outside of the slide is ever so slightly lower will help this. A small dab of caulking on the top of the rail, right at the body seal, (when extended) can help divert the water.

So caulking a vertical line of caulk on the end of the rail at the outermost part of the slide can help to prevent leaking? We had a horrendous torrential rain storm a few weeks ago and it resulted in my slide leaking on both sides while closed. Looking for a solution that I can implement myself that does not involve replacing the seals that are only 2 years old and have been treated almost religiously with conditioner.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post
So caulking a vertical line of caulk on the end of the rail at the outermost part of the slide can help to prevent leaking? We had a horrendous torrential rain storm a few weeks ago and it resulted in my slide leaking on both sides while closed. Looking for a solution that I can implement myself that does not involve replacing the seals that are only 2 years old and have been treated almost religiously with conditioner.
Thats not going to leak if the slides are in. where do you see the leak is the water dripping off the closed slide or is it happening when your driving? PS: is that the system on your slide as shown in the pic's? put a piece of paper between your slide and the wall and see if you can pull it out..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Thats not going to leak if the slides are in. where do you see the leak is the water dripping off the closed slide or is it happening when your driving? PS: is that the system on your slide as shown in the pic's?
I had a leak, a pretty bad one, after a really bad storm. The slide was closed.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide