Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Leaking slide

The slide out in our 2018 Wildwood leaks on the bottom right corner (corner closets to front of camper) when it is pulled in. Looked like caulk on that corner was crumbling so I recaulked it. Seemed to be working. Went camping. Had lots of rain, no issues. Go back to camper 4 days later, floor and slide out around that corner are wet. Canít figure it out. Please provide suggestions. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
njfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 372
Hmmmm. So this only happens when the slide is pulled in but not when it's out?
__________________

__________________
Gerry Z
2014 Roo 21DK
Honda Ridgeline
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 8,264
My slide can seep both when in or out even tho the seals look good. I found that if I park it just -slightly- low on the slide side it stops.
I'm talking the bubble is just touching the line rather than exactly in the middle between the lines.
(bubble would be touching the line towards entry side since our slide is other side from entry door.)
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapelape View Post
The slide out in our 2018 Wildwood leaks on the bottom right corner (corner closets to front of camper) when it is pulled in. Looked like caulk on that corner was crumbling so I recaulked it. Seemed to be working. Went camping. Had lots of rain, no issues. Go back to camper 4 days later, floor and slide out around that corner are wet. Can’t figure it out. Please provide suggestions. Thanks.

Look at the top of the slide and see the position of the top 'flap' and the side 'flap'. If the side flap at the top is over the top flap, then water will be channeled down the inside of the whole side flap. Make sure that the top flap is over the top of the slide flap, this will channel down the out side. Bringing your slide in and out a few times over time, may have changed the position of the flaps as the flap drags along the slide and you may not have noticed that the arrangement has changed and what will happen because of this change.

Also, have your slide side have a halve bubble tilt to the slide side. With rain hitting the top of the slide, you want this water running to the edges. If your unit is 'true' or slightly tilted to the non slide side, water will build up on the slide roof and 'find' a way to infiltrate to the inside. A 'slide' is never truly 'sealed', so you must find a way to direct the water coming at your unit.
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
My slide can seep both when in or out even tho the seals look good. I found that if I park it just -slightly- low on the slide side it stops.
I'm talking the bubble is just touching the line rather than exactly in the middle between the lines.
(bubble would be touching the line towards entry side since our slide is other side from entry door.)


Interesting. I thought about making sure the camper tilts slightly back when in storage. Thanks.
__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Look at the top of the slide and see the position of the top 'flap' and the side 'flap'. If the side flap at the top is over the top flap, then water will be channeled down the inside of the whole side flap. Make sure that the top flap is over the top of the slide flap, this will channel down the out side. Bringing your slide in and out a few times over time, may have changed the position of the flaps as the flap drags along the slide and you may not have noticed that the arrangement has changed and what will happen because of this change.

Also, have your slide side have a halve bubble tilt to the slide side. With rain hitting the top of the slide, you want this water running to the edges. If your unit is 'true' or slightly tilted to the non slide side, water will build up on the slide roof and 'find' a way to infiltrate to the inside. A 'slide' is never truly 'sealed', so you must find a way to direct the water coming at your unit.


Are you talking about when the slide is in or out on both of these?
__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Hmmmm. So this only happens when the slide is pulled in but not when it's out?


Yes. As far as I can see. I wondered if rain water was trapped when the slide was out and leaked inside once it was closed, but would there still be water and moisture on the slide and floor 4 days later?
__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
My slide can seep both when in or out even tho the seals look good. I found that if I park it just -slightly- low on the slide side it stops.
I'm talking the bubble is just touching the line rather than exactly in the middle between the lines.
(bubble would be touching the line towards entry side since our slide is other side from entry door.)


Also, is this what you do when the slide is in or out?
__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
njfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 372
I think Brother Les hit the nail on the head.

One other thing that might help you is a Slide Topper but even if you do decide to get one, you should make sure this problem is solved without one.

https://www.campingworld.com/black-s...RoCthUQAvD_BwE

Other benefit of the slide topper is not having to worry about any leaves or branches that might make their way on top of your slide..
__________________
Gerry Z
2014 Roo 21DK
Honda Ridgeline
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
Member
 
Grapelape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
I think Brother Les hit the nail on the head.

One other thing that might help you is a Slide Topper but even if you do decide to get one, you should make sure this problem is solved without one.

https://www.campingworld.com/black-s...RoCthUQAvD_BwE

Other benefit of the slide topper is not having to worry about any leaves or branches that might make their way on top of your slide..


Yes, I need one of those.
__________________

__________________
Chris
Grapelape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak, slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.