Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

Like the Energizer Bunny

We have a 2015 26DBH that we had in the shop right before warranty expiration for a leaking slide out seal(s), point out the bottom seal/rubber piece was torn. Well they had one on hand but that might not be it so they ordered another and before long our next trip came along so we pulled the unit, went camping and returned it. Was notified by the dealer that she was ready. Before leaving I opened the slide and found the bottom one was still torn. Back into the shop. Notified again, go back and now the side seals are chewed up from the gear tracks on the side, back in she goes. 4th pickup and we are shown 3 replaced seals, 2 side and one top and the bottom "sweeper" is trimmed to avoid being caught in the rollers.
Somehow in the frozen midwest, we had rain over the Christmas weekend and low and behold, water inside the camper from two locations along the top of the slide. Where do we go from here? One would think a new seal would not leak, let alone in two spots. The gutters are clean, do they make a gutter or flashing that can be installed above the slide? ( I don't want to have to install a slide awning to fix what shouldn't be broke)Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1482955580.138979.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	127249Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1482955593.443747.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	127250Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1482955615.274688.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	127251

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #2

***update***
So the dealer told us to bring it back in. 4 days later (sat in the shop for the weekend to thaw out) they called to say they couldn't duplicate the leak with a hose or even with a pressure washer! WTH! So we advised when we would pick up and started licking our wounds. Two days later we get a call, "your rig is done, you can pick it up anytime". No kidding, we already told the shop manager we would be in that Friday. Friday morning we go in, "did you make an appointment to pick up"? So we are starting to really think they don't want our business. As we are waiting for them to drag out our leaky trailer, the shop guys says "yeah, after we talked the first time, we went in to close it up and found the leak"! Apparently it's a volume leak as opposed to a water pressure leak. They placed a new seal on the back side of the facia as well as on the exterior so the two seals create the seal when closed instead of a seal and a surface. I guess we'll see how well it works when everything thaws out in the spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #3

Now we are out of warranty and still leaking with the slide closed. The water seems to be getting into the wall and coming out in the storage compartment behind the couch. Even though they haven't fixed it they advised us we are now out of warranty.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Apparently, this is a problem with 26dbh. Ours does the same as mentioned. Suppose to go in if service department ever returns my call.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #5

Our current TT is the first we have had with a slider so I'm no expert on the topic. However, I have worked in aerospace for close to 30 years and we would never seal a seal on top of another seal. The seals on our slider look similar to the bulb seals on various aircraft access doors and components so that's my point of reference.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

I questioned the practicality of their decision, simply due to essentially doubling the thickness of the seal area. They assured me that the slide would still close the same and they have done it numerous times before. I think it caused pressure on the "face" of the slide, possibly opening the corner allowing water to seep in. I have siliconed every surface that mates up against another surface as well as placed a rubber strip down the length of the slide where the "tape" like seal is on the exterior edge. So far, no more water in the storage compartment in the slide leaking out onto the floor.