Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Loose bedroom slide bolts, etc.

We haven't spent a whole lot of nights in our camper yet, usually reserving it as an extra room for company. Now our schedule is more free (I recently retired and my mother-in-law has passed, whom we cared for in our home for the last 8 years).

We were on the road for 10 days while we returned M-I-L to her home state for her funeral services. We noticed that our bed seemed to be sagging in the middle so I took a look at a remedy for the situation when we returned home. As you know, the mattress (ours is a Trump Home) simply lays on the thin piece of wood which acts as a support on the bed frame. It is far too flimsy to provide adequate support for the mattress. I removed the mattress and lifted the hinged particle board to take a look underneath. The first thing I noticed was both of the gas struts were ripped away from the particle board. The screws had pulled right out, probably did it the first time they shut it. The struts were way too stiff for the screws to hold in the particle board.

After removing the thin piece of wood that covers the slide rails, I noticed that the rails were skewed and not level or parallel to the floor. All four bolts that hold the ram mechanism to the end metal bracket against the wall were loose and the nuts were close to falling off. I added some lock washers to these bolts and torqued them to an appropriate tightness.

Then I cut some two by fours and used them as stiffening ribs on the particle board to keep it from sagging in the middle. I drilled 5 pilot holes for each board and sunk deck screws from the top side of the support board through and into the two by fours. It seemed to do the trick. No more sag in the middle.

See the attached pictures for the ribs I added (the length just fits inside the bed frame) and the two close ribs are on either side of the hinge. You can also see the four bolts with 3/4" nuts against the wall that I had to tighten. It's a wonder the bedroom slide didn't fall out going down the road. It might have except for the single nut on the end of the hydraulic ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5217.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	123726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5218.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	123727  

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up