Old 03-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #1

Loud thunk and floor pop as slide comes in

Hello all!

My wife and I recently noticed our slide on 2016 Sabre Lite fifth wheel was squeeking/squeeling a bit when we operated it so we got some 3-in-1 Slide Lube, I crawled under the slide - wiped the rack and pinion track with a wet towel and applied the line to the tracks, teeth, and what I think is a ram driver.

We operated the slide to try and cost everything and noticed initially it sounded as though the motor was working harder than usual. A few in and outs later and that noise subsided but a new noise arose.

As the slide comes in (and only in) there is a loud thunk and what feels like a pop of some kind under the floor a few inches in from where the slide comes into the living room. I went outside while wife operated and best I can tell, right before the ratchet lock engages it seems as though something catches for a moment and then is forcibly pulled into the unit causing the POP. There is even a small puff of dust when the pop happens as though something is getting tugged.

My best guess as a non techical guy is that the track is some how slightly out of alignment and as it comes in itís forcibly getting pulled into alignment to lock.

My first question is does anyone know what this is?

My second question is whether this is something that needs immediate attention/fixing?

My third question is whether itís something I can do myself with some kind of adjustment or is this the major kind of shop needs to pull the whole slide off to reset the tracks?

My major problem is we leave Page Arizona tomorrow morning and head into remote UT. On top of it all, my parents are visiting us to go see some national parks in 2 weeks so I donít really have an easy option to just go to a repair shop and get this worked on if needed.

Any advice and or help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!!
Paul & Ashley

HoppinTheMap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #2

I read a similar post sometime ago and the owner eventually found an area of trim around the slideout was catching and then snapping back into place. Just sharing, probably not the same issue.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #3

Update: I have confirmed that the side that is popping is maybe a hair over 37 inches while the side that silent is at about 36.75 inches.
HoppinTheMap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #4

One of my slides was making a thunk. It was the underside wiper seal getting caught on top of the roller as the slide went in. Eventually it wore a hole in the seal causing the wheel to momentarily separate from the slide floor when running over the wiper seal then thunk as it cleared the seal.

Considering you don't have much down time to troubleshoot and pending company joining you, might consider posting on the forum for a mobile repair service in the area you are traveling to or enroute.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #5

You didnít say if you have hydraulic slides but did say you lubed something you assumed was a ram drive so I assume you have hydraulic

Check out this video... https://youtu.be/FTdD0DPak1w

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #6

If it is gear driven check out this video.. https://youtu.be/cycjHrNMnlg

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #7

Not sure if this is the same issue you are having, but I had a similar catching/popping issue with my big slide. It turned out to be the plastic trim under each side that the slide rides on. They had cracked and finally broke. I had to order them from FR. I replaced both of them and the slide works much better.
riengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #8

May have a slide out of alignment.

jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, slide