Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

Manual slide operation

2019 apex 28bhss
This is my 1st camper with a slide..i was curious if there is a way to manually operate the slide in case of power failure or component failure.
I dont see access from outside.
Canoechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

Your TT should have come with a rod that has a handle at one end, and a socket head at the other. 5/8" if I remember correctly. That should fit through a hole in the side of the trailer adjacent to the slide and allow you to turn the jack screw manually. I've never had to use mine (thankfully). I hear it takes forever.
Nogrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

The slide out type makes the crucial difference.
If it's a gear type with all the works under the slide out, there's (should have been, anyway) a special crank handle similar to your stabilizer jacks crank, that fits into a hole in the frame on the opposite side of the slide out box to get access to the gears / motor under the trailer. Or maybe you can crawl under the rig with a ratcheting wrench to fit it.

The other type has two tracks that are visible on the top and bottom on the sides of the slide out box (Shwinteck) which is a whole 'nother critter with twin drive motors up in the top of the box frame.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Looks like you have the wonderful Schwintek slide system. That's a different animal than the one Nogrey mentioned.

If the motors die on you, you have to manually push the slide to open or close it after you disconnect the power to the motors or disconnect the motors themselves.

Here's an excerpt from the manuals.

Quote:
  • 2. Manually Push Room in Override:
  • A. Locate the circuit board.
  • B. Unplug both motors from circuit board (releases motor brake). (Fig. 2).
  • C. Push or pull slide room in as desired; larger rooms may require several people to push.
  • D. Keep both sides of room relatively even.
  • E. When room is completely in, plug both motors back into the control board (this applies the brake for road travel).
  • 3. Disengage Motors, Manually Retract Room and Travel Lock:
  • A. Locate and remove motor retention screw located near the top of each vertical column (Fig. 3).
  • B. Bend back wipe seal & visually locate motor (Fig. 4).
  • C. Pull the motor up until disengaged, about ½ ”. Replace the motor retention screw to hold the motor in this position (Fig. 5).
  • D. Repeat this process for both sides of the slide room.
  • E. Push or pull room back in to the opening, keeping sides relatively even.
  • F. Re-engage motor to be ready for travel.
  • G. The room must be travel locked to keep room in place for road travel.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
FLY4FUN

Schwintek Slide System

You do need to locate the slide "controller" -- it's a small (relatively) electronic box (...maybe 5" wide) & has LED + wires running to/from. It's likely mounted/located (may be well hidden!) behind a panel somewhere near the slide. If (when? ) there's a failure to retract, that's probably the first place to look...and, there's a procedure for re-setting the controller to retract the slide. If that doesn't work, the next "procedure" as already mentioned involves accessing each of the two electric motors, removing a retaining screw on each & slipping the motors out of the drive teeth...then, probably with help, push the slide in from the outside. Here's hoping that neither you (or I! ) ever have to actually experience the issue.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply...
I did a little research and had to hunt down the controller.
Canoechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
You do need to locate the slide "controller" -- it's a small (relatively) electronic box (...maybe 5" wide) & has LED + wires running to/from. It's likely mounted/located (may be well hidden!) behind a panel somewhere near the slide. If (when? ) there's a failure to retract, that's probably the first place to look...and, there's a procedure for re-setting the controller to retract the slide. If that doesn't work, the next "procedure" as already mentioned involves accessing each of the two electric motors, removing a retaining screw on each & slipping the motors out of the drive teeth...then, probably with help, push the slide in from the outside. Here's hoping that neither you (or I! ) ever have to actually experience the issue.
I experienced this a couple weeks ago. The slide was stuck out and tilted down. All the procedures you list and Lippert recommended didn't work. I even called Lippert direct. It was too stuck. Now it's the dealer's problem as I traded it in on a new unit (obviously taking a hit on the deal!) NEVER AGAIN. To the OP, I wish you well and if you see the slightest trouble, especially while under warranty, bring it to the dealership to be addressed. Good luck.
campingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:16 PM   #8

By the way, anyone buying a new RV with slide out(s) be sure to keep that strange prop-rod looking thing because if your slide ever fails and you must disconnect gears / motors to get it in, you will need these to keep it in during travel. Some wise owners use them all the time as an added safety feature: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ars-49161.html
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, slide