Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

Motor Access?

Yesterday my front slide out stopped working, bedroom slide is fine. Lights dim when switch is pushed. So I figure it is getting juice. The other slide works so I assume also that the circuit breaker near battery is OK. I believe the motor is shorted/ frozen.

What is the best way to access the motor. Removing the under liner, cutting a flap or square section and covering the hole with new piece of material. Can't remember what it is called (material) and searching had no results that I found. There were some threads recently that mentioned the name of the plastic material.

The type slide system I have is the gear & rack under slide. Never any problems. It stopped working without warning. Anyone with experience, ideas or suggestions please reply.

Also if I remove the motor will the slide stay shut for travel?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

Wires were rubbing and shorting, surprised it did not trip fuse. Bolt holding motor in was really loose so maybe a blessing. Going to cut out other motor to take a peek tomorrow. If the motor falls off I doubt the hand crank will be of any use. Better now than laying in the wet grass and ant beds somewhere on the road.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Did you cut an access hole? If so, Gorilla black tape will seal it up, after cleaning...
Old 05-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

Is it a Schwintek? YouTube has a lot of good videos on how to change the motors.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #5

Finally found the name of the plastic. Did a search for "rv belly liner" and got the name Coroplast. Got that at Home Depot and cut a patch. Use sm screws to attach like one from the factory that was already under there. The motor was much further back than I had imagined, had an extension that was longer I thought. Thanks for the tape idea, edge of the tape I had did not stick well. Not sure what a Schwintek is, thought that one was in the wall. Mine is underneath. Watch for sand falling in you face when you cut the hole and open it up. Changing the motor, piece of cake. One bolt holds it in is all I saw.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

Other motor bolt was also loose, not as loose as on the first motor. Added a little blue Locktite to both. Gorilla tape, good stuff. Sort of hard on an old guy to crawl around on the concrete but I know now what is happening under there.