Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Motor for slide won't start

Hi there, I'm having this problem with the motor for my slideout. This is what I've tried, The motor has been removed and tested , it works fine, I have no fuses blown, I have power at the Switch, I was told that there is a link of some kind attached to the underside of the chassis, and this may very well be the problem, My problem is that I cannot see this link. Does anyone know where this link would be located before removing the under panel on the chassis?
Jamesrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Well, here is the thing James.

When you do not set up your profile and/or your signature to show year make and model we have nothing to go on. We do want to help, but there are many slide systems out there.

If you elect not to put that information in your posts (so we always know what equipment you are talking about), at least put that information in your post.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Sorry About that, I'll remember that for the next time. I have a Forest River Surveyor SV291
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

OK, I think that is an electric only slide.

When you say you have no fuses blown, where did you check? The fuse for the main slide is NOT with all the other fuses. It is on a pigtail fuse holder or reset-able current limiter located within 18 inches (or so) of the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	360426586.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	21667  
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesrk View Post
Sorry About that, I'll remember that for the next time. I have a Forest River Surveyor SV291
Year would also be beneficial as equipment changes from year to year. Also the make of the slide out mechanism would be helpful.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #6

The year is 2012. I do have power at the switch would there be another limiter between the switch and the motor?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #7

I have checked the fuses near the battery and in the main circuit box inside.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

I missed the "power at the switch"; sorry.

The only other thing I can think of is the slide seal being "stuck" to the wall.
Using a PLASTIC cake spatula, run it around the slide to make sure the plastic seal is actually free from the wall.

I blew my fuse trying to open mine when water from a storm froze the slide to the wall.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I missed the "power at the switch"; sorry.

The only other thing I can think of is the slide seal being "stuck" to the wall.
Using a PLASTIC cake spatula, run it around the slide to make sure the plastic seal is actually free from the wall.

I blew my fuse trying to open mine when water from a storm froze the slide to the wall.
Hope you learned a lesson Herk, stay the heck out of any area where it freezes.

Did you blow your fuse or the one to the slide motor or both?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesrk
The year is 2012. I do have power at the switch would there be another limiter between the switch and the motor?
No limiter maybe connection?
Since the slide moves free of the coach, and could be removed, is there junction box or connector to make up the leads?(coach to slide) I assume when you had power "at the switch" it was not available at the open motor connections.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #11

That's right I have power at the switch but nothing at the motor, the fuses I've checked are between the battery and the switch i assume, because the undercarriage is sealed I was hoping that someone would know the location of such a limiter switch or junction box. The slide works fine manually with a socket or a cordless drill.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesrk View Post
That's right I have power at the switch but nothing at the motor, the fuses I've checked are between the battery and the switch i assume, because the undercarriage is sealed I was hoping that someone would know the location of such a limiter switch or junction box. The slide works fine manually with a socket or a cordless drill.
Check under the slide, mine has telecoping tubes leading to outside wall. JBs must be just inside of the tubes, or at wall. Not easy to reach but they did! Nothing else use a pierce voltmeter probe and check wires along lenth for power.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

You must have pinched the wire under the belly. In my camper there is nothing but a two wire cable from the switch to the motor.

Sounds like you will need to trace that wire.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll trace the wire, from what I can see the two leads runs from the slide, underneath the sink and counter to the bathroom from there I'm not sure gonna have to remove some panels. I'll give you an update the next time I'm on site to check it out, may take some pics of the setup.