Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Need advice concerning slide

Our 2018 Salem Cruise Lite has sat unplugged for about a week at home so I'm sure the battery was weak. I plugged it in today for about 15 minutes before I ran the slide out using the remote because I had never used it before.

The slide started to retract then stopped and started again a couple of times before I went inside and used the switch on the wall. It then seemed to run out and back in fine. I then tried it with the remote again and it did not stop but was slow toward the end of the extend stroke.

Could the fact that the battery was not fully charged have affected slide operation even after plugging in to shore power? Are the remotes reliable? Just a fluke that it worked fine via the inside switch?

Any advice is much appreciated as we are getting ready to take a lengthy trip in a couple of weeks and would like to work any bugs out before we go.
Jmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #2

Hi,more info than you were asking for but its all important. You will probably find a sticker somewhere that says something to the effect of "never operate without shore power" Basically that function consumes an immense amount of power to operate, doing that on a not fully charged battery is double trouble and can harm your pump due to insufficient juice. Best practice is to be hooked up to shore power and if that is not available have your truck hooked up with the engine running which will be supplying your rig power from its alternator. That being said those remotes do not really have a good range in many cases, sometimes just being on the opposite side of the trailer will break the signal. Stopping and starting like that is typical when the signal breaks slightly. Best practice is to stand at the front of the rig for best reception. One other point for those with 5th wheels, when I first started playing with my remote I started to use it to adjust the trailer height while sitting in the truck while hitching. No worries if you are extending the front legs but do not use the remote to retract unless your 5th wheel is sufficiently under Trailer Pin. Sometimes when releasing the retract button it will keep going. Imagine the damage that could do if partially on and it slips off.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #3

Check your battery on the remote.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
Site Team

The slide motor uses a lot of power. The converter usually does not provide enough power and some has to be provided by the battery. If your battery was weak/dead, charging it for 15 minutes was nowhere near enough. A depleted battery will take about 8 hours to completely recharge. Most likely nothing is wrong with our unit. Once the battery is charged it should work fine.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
Happy Camper

Full battery power usually means Full function.
A good place to start.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

Remotes and the Slide

First...I have never found a need for a remote. I like to watch the slide action from inside, and thats where the operating switch switch is. The remote is just one more battery that can run down.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide