Old 09-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #1

Need source for Slide Gear replacements

I have a 2006 FR Flagstaff 5th wheel with one slide out. The motor turns, but the slide will move only if I manually crank the gearbox. I suspect the motor clutch or gear has failed. I am in southern Arizona and need recommendation for a source of a replacement gearbox. Is this a DIY sort of repair where I can remove and replace the gearbox myself?

evalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. It doesn't sound like a gearbox problem if you can manually move the slide by turning the gear box. Does the slide motor run and if so check for a broken shear pin at the connection of the motor to gear box. Let the forum know wha you find.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Welcome! I see it is your 1st post.

You should take the time to set up your signature line with all your pertinent information in it.

Slide gear(s) and motor/gears can be replaced.
There have been past discussions on this and a search of the forum should bring up results.

Forest River has used several types of slides over the years.
Do you know what your is?

Schwintek slides have rails attached to the side of the slide out.
LCI (Lippert Industries) has several models that include through frame, above floor, etc.

There are gears and motor/gear kits available online here are two of the most common...

Lippert Components 191072 18:1 Venture Motor Replacement Gear Set

RV Slide Out Motor 18:1 Ratio Replacement Motor M-8910
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

Thanks. I'll do some more research on the exact part numbers. My trailer is a 2006 model and this is the original slide gear box and motor. I hear the motor turning, but I suspect the clutch is shot. The gears only turn if I use the hand crank, and I feel a "slip" from time to time as I crank it.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

As has been stated there are many types of slide drive mechanisms. IF this is a Shwinteck then I know nothing about them. I have worked on mine and many of my friends that were the Lippert branded products. I would look for the drive motor/gearcase unit first. On my previous TT the shear pin broke while bringing in the slide preparing to depart a campground. Thankfully a nearby camper had the proper tool to crank mine in manually. Of course I had to stop twice on the way home to push the slide back in as it slowly came out going down the highway. That unit had the slide drive mechanism underneath the sofa and it was a PITA to work on. On my current TT, a '15 model, the shear pin on the living room slide has already broken and the slide was coming in very smoothly. I managed to prop the slide closed for that trip home. On this one I had to cut into the Coroplast underbelly to access the drive mechanism and it was as simple as the shear pin had sheared. I worked Industrial Maintenance for 42 years and learned there are differences in shear pins. I went with one that it some what like a spiral instead of one round part with a split down the middle. Hopefully your problem will be as simple as this. Good Luck
Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

Took gear box apart. Emerson Saginaw

I have taken the gear box apart and found that the motor works fine, but I think the reduction gear (nylon?) that fits on the motor shaft has worn to the point it no longer turns properly so that the main shaft to the slide mechanism isn't turning. I can turn that shaft by hand, but not with the motor.

This slide is on a 2006 Forest River Flagstaff 8528RKSS. The motor/gear box turns a shaft to a gear box that has two shafts that run left and right to the geared slide supports at each end of the slide.

Anyone know a source of gears for Emerson Saginaw Performance Pack slide motor/gear assemblies? I'm in southern Arizona (Tucson/Sierra Vista region)

Thanks

Ed
Old 09-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #7

See my post dated 9/10

Could it be a Thompson-Saginaw 7828696 motor gearbox? That's what is on my 2005 Rockwood. As best as I can tell the replacement part is a Lippert 125802, BUT thats not what Lippert says. That's why I say to look at my post.
HSage3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
rbq

Recently replaced my motor & gear box on my Roo. I pulled the assembly off so that I could get part numbers. Sent the part numbers to Rockwood customer service & they provided the information for the correct gear ratio that I have. Ordered the motor & gear unit directly from Recpro. Very happy with how it worked out.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

Slide Out

Thanks.

I have contacted Rockwood customer service and received a very nice, prompt reply. Unfortunately all they could tell me was that the items in question are no longer in their system. Their only suggestion was to contact Lippert again.

HSage3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, slide