Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Neither Slide Works

Hi all. Hope someone can help me out of a jam. Tonight, as I was getting ready to pull out and head to the campground, I pulled in both slides on our 2009 Wildwood 29BHBS BUNKHOUSE DOUBLE SLIDE Travel Trailer. All was well until we got to the camprgound to set up and neither slide would budge. No sounds or movements from either motor. We checked the inverter and found no blown fuses there. Finallly, we traced the wiriing into the floor and found the wire nuts tied the motor leads to the main wiring. We thn clipped leads on the wires at the motor and were able to get each one moved out so we can camp this weekend.

I'm guessing there is a fuse or something in line between the switch on the wall and the motor. Does anyone know where? Are schematics and wiring diagrams available for these models?

Any help would be appreciated! It's hot crawling around under that camper and we'd like to be able to enjoy the weekend knowing this problem has been fixed.

Thanks for any assistance y'all can give us!
ddillard91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums. I am sure there is an easy solution to this problem. Have you looked for a breaker near the battery. Usually the slide motors have their own circuit independant of the other 12volt items that includes a re-setable breaker. Others here have had the same issue so try doing a search and see what you come up with, otherwise someone will be along shortly to help.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #3

It looks like it almost has to be something simple. As you said the slide worked before you left but not when you arrived. My first thought was (if you have one) the battery cut off switch. This may have gotten turned to the off position while loading stuff or durring travel.

But then after reading your post again you cut the wires to the motor but not sure how you moved the slides. So am really without an answer.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. We figure it's something simple but didn't know what else to check. I'll look at the A frame for a cut off switch or breaker and see if that's the problem.

We were able to get the slides out by removing the wire nuts that tie the two wires on the motors and then running leads from the motor wires to the battery to move the slides.

Thanks again for the help!
ddillard91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddillard91 View Post
Thanks for the replies. We figure it's something simple but didn't know what else to check.
Look for corrosion on the wire terminals at the place where the 30 amp fuse pigtails are connected to the battery. There is a 40 amp current limiter between the battery and the pigtail connection that should be checked as well. The limiter is most likely "good" but the connections can be so poor as to stop the current flow.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #6

Hi Folks. Did you figure out how to fix this issue? I've got the same thing. 'Made the mistake, I think, of running both slides in at the same time and though the bunk slide is all the way in, the big slide is half way in and I've now got no power to either. Checked the inverter circuit breakers and fuses and everything looks good. I'm plugged in to 110 and 12 volt batteries are fully charged. Thinking there's gotta be a fuse somewhere that's blown but haven't found it. Tried to find info on using the hand crank, but nothing in the manual. The rod (and roll-pin) that I think would be used with the hand crank is tool large for the tool, so can't manually get the slide in either. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks.
lison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lison View Post
Hi Folks. Did you figure out how to fix this issue? I've got the same thing. 'Made the mistake, I think, of running both slides in at the same time and though the bunk slide is all the way in, the big slide is half way in and I've now got no power to either. Checked the inverter circuit breakers and fuses and everything looks good. I'm plugged in to 110 and 12 volt batteries are fully charged. Thinking there's gotta be a fuse somewhere that's blown but haven't found it. Tried to find info on using the hand crank, but nothing in the manual. The rod (and roll-pin) that I think would be used with the hand crank is tool large for the tool, so can't manually get the slide in either. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks.
There should be 30 amp fuses located within 18 inches of the battery; one for each slide. My camper they are green pigtails located BEHIND the battery.

What kind of camper is it? Our landing gear crank operates our manual backup for the main slides.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electric Slideout-Web.pdf (1.47 MB, 74 views)
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #8

Thank you so much for the help. PDF is a big help, as I think mine is a Lippert. It's for a 2006 Cherokee 285 B+ 5th wheel. I didn't look on the opposite side for the manual crank attachment. Can't wait to get home after work to check it out. Glad it didn't happen yesterday morning when leaving camping!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #9

Well, found the problem but it took a couple hours of searching and testing and crawling around under the camper. Found a bayonette fuse next to the battery but it was fine. Should have looked closer. It went to the switch for the landing gear. I also noticed that the manual/hand crank that came with out Cherokee lite is for only the landing gear, and the access hole is behind the propane tank.
Both slideouts are on the same circuit and connected to what looks like a junction block screwed to the back wall behind the batteries. It's actually three small (about a half inch by three quarters inch) rectangular circuit breakers with tiny little black re-set buttons underneath, where they can't be seen. I removed the middle one to inspect and accidentally pushed the reset button. Problem solved.
The manual crank for the slideout takes about a 5/8 inch socket onto the slide motor, located under the middle of the camper. You'll have to lay underneath the camper to get the slide in manually.
'Got another good lesson on camper repairs!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

If the slides still don't work, try removing the wire loops from the resetting circuit breaker you mentioned; sand them lightly to remove corrosion; then reinstall the wires. I had a similar problem.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If the slides still don't work, try removing the wire loops from the resetting circuit breaker you mentioned; sand them lightly to remove corrosion; then reinstall the wires. I had a similar problem.
Some also have a MANUAL reset button on them. Look for a small "pop" button and press it in.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #12

I just had this exact problem...been crawling around the camper for two days!!! After reading the PDF that herk7769 posted....BINGO!!!...found the 30A fuse holder...the cap had come off and I guess it got wet...fuse was blown...replaced the fuse and the slideout is back in business!!! This is why I love this forum...good folks come together and help solve a problem....THANK YOU!!!
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Gratz

It's always great when you can fix it yourself!