Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #1

Newbie & Slide Out Maintenance

Okay. We bought our first Motor home (2005 Forester) last month and we took it out one weekend before putting it in storage. While we were camping we had a winter storm come through and we got some really cold temperatures and about 5 inches of snow. Now that it's in storage I'm wondering about general maintenance to the slide out, seals, mechanism and the awning etc. What do you do regularly and annually to maintain your slide outs? Thanks in advance.
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

We use the slide seal lube (Camco) on the seal, kinda looks like Tire Foam when it is put on. I use the Slide track lube (also Camco) to do the track. We have a Swintec type slide. Yours may vary. I also have heard of people using any dry lube on the tracks (for our style) and baby power or 303 on the slide seals.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
We use the slide seal lube (Camco) on the seal, kinda looks like Tire Foam when it is put on. I use the Slide track lube (also Camco) to do the track. We have a Swintec type slide. Yours may vary. I also have heard of people using any dry lube on the tracks (for our style) and baby power or 303 on the slide seals.
Thanks. Do you apply the lube while it is in the out position or can I do it when closed? The reason I ask is that I may not have enough room to open it while in storage.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

I do it when its out to do all. You will not be able to do the seals with the slide in, even a foot or so can get enough access to do the seals. Might be able to spray the track while in, I can. I will also put some baby power on an old sock and spread it on the inside one the slide lib where it would seat on the outside wall when deployed. Keeps it from sticking to the wall if it is left out for a while.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #5

Regarding your slideout you have to find out which manufacturer and model you have. I have Lippert electric slide and the manual states to use only detergent and water to clean the mechanism. It states that using a grease could potentially damage the unit so before you do anything find out who made your slide and get the correct maintenance information.
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyguy View Post
Regarding your slideout you have to find out which manufacturer and model you have. I have Lippert electric slide and the manual states to use only detergent and water to clean the mechanism. It states that using a grease could potentially damage the unit so before you do anything find out who made your slide and get the correct maintenance information.
Thanks for the heads up. Will the manufacture be on the slide out mechanism some where? We have a couple of booklets that came with the motor home, but there isn't much info in them and I don't see anything that lists the manufacture of the slide-outs.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlafond View Post
Okay. We bought our first Motor home (2005 Forester) last month and we took it out one weekend before putting it in storage. While we were camping we had a winter storm come through and we got some really cold temperatures and about 5 inches of snow. Now that it's in storage I'm wondering about general maintenance to the slide out, seals, mechanism and the awning etc. What do you do regularly and annually to maintain your slide outs? Thanks in advance.
I use regular grease from a grease gun to lubricate the underbody slide mechanisms. I use plastic gloves to wipe on a thin coat to the rams and gears. Then run them in and out a few times. I have Schwintek slide mechanisms on our new trailer, but I have not yet researched how to lube them. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the slide seals, inside and out. I also use the 303 to protect the awning fabric after washing with your favorite detergent. My awning motor is so called maintenance free, which means I have to replace the whole unit when it fails. Check to make sure the slideouts ride on the plastic wear strips and are centered and square in the opening. I don't lubricate the plastic wear strips/rollers. Anything the moves, pivots, etc; such as scissor jacks, folding stairs; gets lightweight oil on the hinges/contact surfaces. Take it to your favorite mechanic to have the oil changed and preventative maintenance done. Take it to your favorite tire store to have the insides of the tires checked. Have your RV mechanic check the caulking, given the age of your unit. I can go on and on, but you get the idea. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlafond View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Will the manufacture be on the slide out mechanism some where? We have a couple of booklets that came with the motor home, but there isn't much info in them and I don't see anything that lists the manufacture of the slide-outs.

Thanks
Google and this forum will be your friend. Put the year and brand of your unit in the title when you post.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #9

You might want to go the the forest river web "contact us" site and see if they can help.
My Trailer came with a pamphlet for the slide out. Try Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #10

YouTube has a good video on schwinteck.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #11

The lite has two schwinteck slides.

Robot Check

I just spray the tracks with the tube, spray some on a clean rag and wipe the seals down.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #12

As far as the rubber seals, surprisingly, baby powder keeps it from sticking and doesn't wash off.

Tags
maintenance, newbie, slide, slide out