Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

No power to both slide outs and awning

Rockwood bunkhouse camper.... Went camping, everything working great. Preparing to leave and no power to both slides and awning. Still plugged into 30amp at campground. All other electrical working. When switch pushed, no sound, no nothing. Breakers are good, fuses are good. Had to turn on battery to get them in, that worked fine. Got home, retested, no difference, no power when connected to electric. What else to check??
Thanks
Sharen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharen View Post
Rockwood bunkhouse camper.... Went camping, everything working great. Preparing to leave and no power to both slides and awning. Still plugged into 30amp at campground. All other electrical working. When switch pushed, no sound, no nothing. Breakers are good, fuses are good. Had to turn on battery to get them in, that worked fine. Got home, retested, no difference, no power when connected to electric. What else to check??
Thanks
Those items are 12v DC... not connected directly to your 120c AC system. They require 12v from battery. If you battery is "turned off", they generally won't work.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #3

Sorry not sure I explained it well. We've had this camper for 5 years. We always have the battery turned off if it's plugged into electricity. It has a"battery disconnect" switch we can use to turn battery on if we aren't connected to electricity. The slides and awning have always worked when plugged in at campground to 30 amp and battery disconnected. They have stopped working suddenly.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #4

I had a surprise one day when I removed a drawer in the kitchen and found a fuse attached to the cabinet structure. It operated one of the items you mentioned but I don’t remember which.

You might want to look for a hidden fuse.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

OK, this got my curiosity going so I went out to the trailer and here is what I saw. It wasn’t a fuse but 2 circuit breakers located above the power center.

joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #6

When unplugged do other 12 volt items work (water pump, lights, etc.)? Retest them now with the battery switch off. It sounds like your converter has stopped providing 12 volt power if none of them work with the battery switch off.
By the way you should always have the battery switch on when closing the slides, per FR recommendations. The heavy power draw can overload the converter and damage it. This may be what happened to you.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #7

I had a similar problem with my 2016 Leprechaun. Found 2 hidden 5 amp fuses behind a plastic cover in a storage compartment. Factory didn’t even know where they were.
leblancdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharen View Post
Sorry not sure I explained it well. We've had this camper for 5 years. We always have the battery turned off if it's plugged into electricity. It has a"battery disconnect" switch we can use to turn battery on if we aren't connected to electricity. The slides and awning have always worked when plugged in at campground to 30 amp and battery disconnected. They have stopped working suddenly.
You are mis-understanding the use of a battery disconnect.

The disconnect is used to disconnect the battery from the R/V when you are not plugged into shore power to keep the parasitic current drains (LP detector/clocks/radio/etc.) from draining the battery.

When plugged into shore power you should ALWAYS have the disconnect in the position where the battery is connected so the converter (which operates on shore power) can keep the battery charged.

As mentioned, it also helps absorb the 'load' of the slides and jacks to have the battery connected when on shore power as those items are power hungry when it comes to current draw.

As a side note... if your converter's protection fuses for charging/protecting the battery are blown, you will not have 12v even when connected to shore power with the battery disconnected.

Do you know where they are located and how to check them?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
When unplugged do other 12 volt items work (water pump, lights, etc.)? Retest them now with the battery switch off. It sounds like your converter has stopped providing 12 volt power if none of them work with the battery switch off.
By the way you should always have the battery switch on when closing the slides, per FR recommendations. The heavy power draw can overload the converter and damage it. This may be what happened to you.
X2.
Curt A20 c/w GM Puck system
2021 56 night’s booked
Gm Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #10

WOW. Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out. Its a work in progress. This is the first time I have used a forum. I have 2 pictures I wanted to attach and was able to get them in the "manage attachments" part of this thread but could not get them into the "reply" section. Sorry, I need my grandchildren for that. LOL. If its easy for someone to guide me to do that, maybe it would help.
You are correct, I definitely was misunderstanding the battery disconnect use for 5 years now. Guessing I didn't retain that part of the instructions from the dealer. What I have found out is my battery is dead. That has just happened because we had to use it to move the slides. I will have it tested first to make sure that is part of the problem. I am going now to replace it so I can continue to follow everyone's instructions to find and test things. I will be back. Thank you so much!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
Site Team

The battery may be permanently damaged so see if it holds a charge and then have each cell tested with a hydrometer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #12

Battery totally dead. They kept it on charge overnight. Will get a new one today and continue.

Tags
awning, power, slide, slide out