Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

One Month Old = First Major Problem

Well, one month after purchasing our brand new 2013 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25KS, we have encountered our first problem. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.... Apparently the slide out is not closing squarely which has caused some separation of the slide out frame from the exterior fiberglass. Worst part of all, our local dealer, Tom Johnson Camping Center, is two to three weeks behind on repairs. This means we"re going to miss half of June worth of camping!
If you have a new schwintek slide out system, keep an eye on it and make sure it is closing evenly top to bottom. Otherwise, it could cause ugly looking problems to your TT or RV!!!
Crosseyed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed08 View Post
Well, one month after purchasing our brand new 2013 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25KS, we have encountered our first problem. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.... Apparently the slide out is not closing squarely which has caused some separation of the slide out frame from the exterior fiberglass. Worst part of all, our local dealer, Tom Johnson Camping Center, is two to three weeks behind on repairs. This means we"re going to miss half of June worth of camping!
If you have a new schwintek slide out system, keep an eye on it and make sure it is closing evenly top to bottom. Otherwise, it could cause ugly looking problems to your TT or RV!!!
Well this isn't good.......
Any other dealers close by?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
10x

That stinks, hope it gets straightened out for you.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #4

It most certainly does stink!!! There are likely othre dealers, but I am kind of stubborn... (says my wife) I am disapointed that such a reputable dealer would deliver a unit to a customer with such and obvious mechanical flaw. The slide has not closed properly since the day we took delivery, but I have never ownded a TT before and just assumed that was how it was supposed to work.... Thus, I feel like the dealership that sold it should have to fix it! I know, I'm stubborn and a bit foolish!!! HaHaHa
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed08 View Post
You might want to check with Tom Johnson's Marion, NC shop to see if they could get to it any sooner.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

I called TJ's last Fri about my fridge not working on gas. Got an appointment for next Tues, 11th. This is at Marion location.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #7

I have a schwintek slide as well and on our second trip in the new unit, I noticed that the floor rollers supporting the slide were digging into the underside of the slide floor leaving 3 scraps which have now revealed the wood.
It is in right now being looked at for the cause but I hope that they don't pass it on as " user damage" and make me pay for it.
Also is this type of slide loud, ours from pick up makes a loud squeak ( rubber on rubber) sound other than the motor noise. Any thoughts??
Turtle people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #8

Well, after spending a couple of weeks in the shop, we were finally able to use our TT this past weekend. Once again, the same problem occurred with the slide. First thing Monday I returned to Tom Johnson and pushed a little harder for this problem to be fixed correctly. Now all factory screws have been replaced with longer screws and additional screws have been added! I'm not yet convinced that the problem is fixed "correctly", but I suppose time will tell!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

We have had a screw back out on our slide only used 3 times took to dealer but I think it is backing out again 2013 Microlite 25ks. Did they say what was causing the problem I guess we will take ours back to dealer also. Just one screw coming out at bottom of trim.
Nascar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Tom Johnson in Concord has a lousy service dept. Very obliging sales dept. tho. The one in Marion has been top drawer for us. We bought 2 campers from the Concord store, but will not darken their doors again after our little fiasco in FL in Dec.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #11

I have scwintek slides as well, think they are junk, never worked since I purchased my unit, rockwood 2503s mini lite, the slide stopped working and repaired myself because the dealer would not warranty the unit because I did not purchase from them. the electric motor was installed wrong, and was not seated fully into the base, there is a gap of 3/16 which does not seem like much but after seating the motor fully and redrilling a hole to hold the motor it works fine, sortaa.... the slide does retract but does not retract inline, it goes in a bit crooked about 6 inches deviation from end to end, also noticed that on the side that the slide is, there is 3 noticeable bumps where it looks like the framing of the trailer is pushing out at the base, the trailer is fibreglass and is holding up but worried after a few years it will get worse. I also only open the slide when the trailer is level as possible, going to try an tackle the slide issue in the next few days to see if I can get it to open straight once and for all
k1m0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #12

I've only had mine a little over a week, but I've had the slide in and out maybe six or so times and haven't noticed any problems at all. I keep checking for things working loose or hanging to try to catch anything before it happens. The guy that did the walkthrough on mine said that if it starts to get a little sideways to let off the switch, back it the other way for a second, then start it back up and the syncronizer should correct it. He may be right, as I noticed it go about an inch off on one side (looked like the seals stuck on one side and held it back for a second ) while I was opening it. I followed his suggestion and it straightened right back up. From what I can tell, these systems rely a lot on being securely fastened all around, so I'm probably going to be constantly checking screws on the motors and rails.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #13

We're looking at the Micro Lite 2014KS to purchase. We are new to a slide AND a Murphy bed. Is there anything we should look for while the slide is in or out while it is still on the lot to see if it may have this potential slide problem?
Also, the access to the bathroom and Murphy bed are blocked with the slide in. How do you current 25KS owners manage that?
Debbie Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Flanigan View Post
We're looking at the Micro Lite 2014KS to purchase. We are new to a slide AND a Murphy bed. Is there anything we should look for while the slide is in or out while it is still on the lot to see if it may have this potential slide problem?
Also, the access to the bathroom and Murphy bed are blocked with the slide in. How do you current 25KS owners manage that?
Welcome to the forum !
You should start a new thread rather than piggy back onto one to get more feedback.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #15

Debbie we usually just use the bathroom door to get to the bathroom when slide is in we only have to do this when we have it parked at home. You cant use the murphy bed when slide is in.
Nascar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #16

Is this slide issue common on the 2503S? We are ready to buy one.
SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I had Schwintek slides on my 2703SS Rockwood. If they are 6 inches out the Hall Sensors are bad on the motors. They count the revolutions of the motor (Speed) and report back to the controller to adjust the drive to the motor to keep both side in sync. In short get the dealer to replace the entire system like I did and it worked fine after.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #18
Papi

Writing Time!

Write a detailed letter to TJ himself...it will be received by a service mgr or VP and you will get satisfaction. It's just the squeaky wheel concept and I was forced to do it once to make a point with TJ. I was happy to have my issue resolved and even received some bonus bucks for my trouble. I did not ask for anything but it was given. You just have to get to the right person...yep, email 'ol TJ himself in Marion and you should at very least see that 3 week stuff be shortened or done away with. It won't make the situation any better but you'll get some customer satisfaction. I'd be surprised if they didn't respond agreeably!
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #19

hello, had issues with the swintek slides since I purchased the unit new, my 2503s is a 2012 model and I read somewhere that the motors have been upgraded since then.
I had issues with delamination as well stemming from the slide had allowed water into the trailer, I purchased the trailer sight unseen, would not recommend buying a trailer even new the way I did without a thourough inspection before taking possession of it. forest river was amazing in resolving issues and went above and beyond fixing the trailer, it was returned to Indiana, where they facilitated the repairs, the floor was completely replaced, two walls, and the swintek slide was replaced with a beefier stronger system, I could tell by the way it operated and sounded that it was definitely stronger and more robust. I have had a love hate relationship with this trailer, right now I love our trailer, great for 2 people, easy to pull, but if I were to do it again I would go with aluminum siding and a conventional hydraulic slide system, not the swintek system or fiberglass for ease of repairs.
my greatest advice no matter what trailer you purchase, do what I have done and keep it stored indoors out of the elements for the winter months, this is the best insurance for having a trailer that will last for years to come.
k1m0e is offline   Reply With Quote