Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

One Of Three Slide Out Not Opening

I have a 2002 37ft Sandpiper that has 3 hydraulic slide outs.
PROBLEM - The main living room slide out will not open. The bedroom and the smaller living room slide will open. All of the slide out started moving out slowly and the main slide would not open without someone helping it by way of a good back pushing. I took the pump off and had a hydraulic shop look at it, they said the pump was going bad and I should call the manufacture to find out about a replacement pump. So I put a Lippert pump (643150) in it. Now the the bedroom and small living room will move in and out without any problems. I took the main slide out hydraulic ram off and had new sealsite put in it but that hasn't helped. So what should I do next? I live in a small town that has no RV shop within 2 to 3 hour drive.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
I have a 2002 37ft Sandpiper that has 3 hydraulic slide outs.
PROBLEM - The main living room slide out will not open. The bedroom and the smaller living room slide will open. All of the slide out started moving out slowly and the main slide would not open without someone helping it by way of a good back pushing. I took the pump off and had a hydraulic shop look at it, they said the pump was going bad and I should call the manufacture to find out about a replacement pump. So I put a Lippert pump (643150) in it. Now the the bedroom and small living room will move in and out without any problems. I took the main slide out hydraulic ram off and had new sealsite put in it but that hasn't helped. So what should I do next? I live in a small town that has no RV shop within 2 to 3 hour drive.
I don't know much about those, except if you weren't plugged in and operating off of the battery the battery needs a really good charge to make the slide outs work. If you are plugged in make sure the battery is being charged and the converter is working. On my Georgetown the two smaller slides work easily but the larger front slide is slower. The weight of my main slide could be is much as both of the two smaller slides, so it moves slower. If there were any other restrictions it might not open.
When you had the hydraulic ram off did you try to move the slide out by hand to see if it was hanging up? Also make sure the hydraulic fluid is full.
One last thing, is the RV level while putting out the slides. If the main slide was trying to move up hill it might not move. Sorry I can't be of any more help then this. When some of the others on the forum see your problem they maybe able to help you.
Good luck.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Have you looked for jacking screws? My slider has them. Additionally look for drag marks on the bottom or top/side seals jamming.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

It is plugged into land power, it is on flat level ground. I didn't see any drag or hang up makes. I did try and push it out when the ram was off but I done have enough butt to budge it, heck the slide is 15 feet. I'm still not sure what to check or try... Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Is the fluid Reservoir full? You said you had ram repacked did you bleed the system in case of air in lines. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #6

Sorry everyone, the the reservoir is full. I read somewhere on the web that the way to get air out of tbe system is to run the slides out and in a few times. So i extended and retracted the other slide outs half a dozen times to purge the system of air. If this is incorrect someone please tell me how to do it. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #7

Check the slide room control panel to see if the valve is shut off for the living room
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #8

Good answers

I was wondering what fixed your problem. Assuming you got it fixed. Please let us learn from your issue by letting us know. Thanks.

I would have guessed a battery or ground issue. The two smaller slides are lighter and work first. The slide that needs the most power is always last and sometimes the batteries are worn down by the first two slides. Sometimes waiting a few minutes will allow the battery(s) time to recover enough to push the last slide. Lippert recommends having shore power connected when moving the slides.

I have an 2005 Cardinal with 3 hydraulic slides. In 12 years, I have gained some experience with my slides. Two fully charged batteries with clean connections are a must. I have also changed out my battery cables with larger gauge wires and higher amp fuses. I have my batteries grounded to the frame twice.
billmac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

"Shell": Do all the slides operate off of one button/switch or are there separate buttons/switches for each slide? In post #1 you mentioned that you replaced the hydraulic pump. Then in post #6 you mentioned "I extended and retracted the other slide outs half a dozen times to purge the system of air". Operating the "other slides" to purge out air may not have gotten any air out of the hoses that go to the main living room slide. With experience with hydraulics I believe there should be, somewhere, a control valve for the living room slide. IF you can find that control valve I would try to manually operate it while someone pushes the button that operates the hydraulic pump.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out