Old 05-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Kasual Kamper

Operating slide on battery vs. shore power

We have a Lippert slide on our Flagstaff 21DS. At the campground over the weekend, I hooked up to shore power and operated the slide both ways without a problem. When I got home, I tried to open it using battery power and it wouldn't budge until I connected to electric.

My question is, will it act that way if the battery is low? Everything else, included the power jack, worked fine off the battery. I just don't know if the Lippert slides have a built-in safety mechanism of some sort that prevents them from operating on low power or if there is something else going on here.

JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Many will tell you it is best to operate the slide when connected to shore power or a running tow vehicle (and it probably is as you'll have more juice available) but... the slide should easily operate off the battery alone, provided the battery is sufficiently charged.

Are you sure the battery had a good charge?

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Your tow vehicle may not be providing enough of a charge while driving home.

But yes, the slide motor is a big draw on the battery and a depleted one won't be enough.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #4
Kasual Kamper

I guess I'll have to have my charging system checked because I know I was able to open the slide on battery last year.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #5
Lacey's Spring, AL

yes, more than likely the slides, which is a much larger draw on the 12v system, will require enough 'juice' to operate, without which it won't. If your batteries are above a certain level, such as 12.5, they will, but below that level, they won't. Your owner's info may give the actual level, though.

she's for sale, and ready to TRAVEL!

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I guess I'll have to have my charging system checked because I know I was able to open the slide on battery last year.
Looking at your signature, you've got a 2013 unit. If the battery is likewise a 2013 (or possibly older), the battery itself might be the issue. At five years old, you might be at the point where a new battery is what is needed. A flooded lead-acid battery doesn't normally live much longer than that. Especially if it has been subjected to deep discharges, low water levels, etc.

First thing would be to check your water levels and if low, top them up. You might get a bit more use out of it.

Good luck &
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Remove battery and have Load checked,while battery is out clean the 3 battery connection areas, positive and negative at battery plus negative connection on the Frame! Youroo!!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:37 AM   #8

No one has mentioned, specifically, that your slide motors are 12 volt only. If your batteries are down or bad, slide won't work. Even if hooked up to shore power, your slides are still drawing off the battery/s, and if their bad, they won't hold a charge, so being hooked up to shore power is not going to "power" the batteries, or your slide motors.
You need to have "good, charged" batteries.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Remove battery and have Load checked,while battery is out clean the 3 battery connection areas, positive and negative at battery plus negative connection on the Frame! Youroo!!
X2
most likely ground connections on the frame if your TT is of any age other than brand new
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
No one has mentioned, specifically, that your slide motors are 12 volt only. If your batteries are down or bad, slide won't work. Even if hooked up to shore power, your slides are still drawing off the battery/s, and if their bad, they won't hold a charge, so being hooked up to shore power is not going to "power" the batteries, or your slide motors.
You need to have "good, charged" batteries.
Grumpy
Hooked up to shore power you have the converter adding it's voltage to to whatever the batteries are putting out. I have a volt meter, when running the slides in or out the voltage drops, when plugged in you hear the converter fan spool up as it starts adding power to the batteries to compensate for the load being drawn.

FWIW my slides will operate on battery power only, however they do recommend in the manual that you either have shore power or the generator running when you do it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:10 PM   #11

Sorry, but I have seen and experienced that if the batteries are shot, and won't hold a charge, then the slides may not work off of shore power. Shore power is running thru the converter to the batteries, but if batteries are shot, their not charging, and not enough "juice" is being stored to run slide motors. The converter isn't "adding" any extra power to the batteries, just trickle charging them Just like a cup with a hole in the bottom. You can add water all day long, but the cup won't hold water, no matter how long you pour water into it.
Have experienced this on our 2012 Lexi, similar to your rig. Batteries were down (4 year old originals) and even plugged into my at home dedicated 30 amp source, slides would not work properly.
Replaced batteries with new, and no more problem.
Not saying ALL rigs are the same, but OP's batteries are 5 years old, if original, weren't the best when new.
Hooking up a new battery to test would be my first choice of checking "things that went bad". Or, get a meter and check the batteries themselves. As in a car, the alt may be good, but if battery is bad, alt won't charge it.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power, slide