Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Exclamation Overhead lights on both slides quit working

Greetings and hallucinations! I have a 2009 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8315 BSS and in preparation for this year's camping season, I was inside the trailer replacing the interior overhead light bulbs with LED bulbs. When I got to the light over the dining table, the lights didn't work. Turns out the lights over the couch (also on the slide-out) don't work either, and neither do the bedroom reading lights (on the bedroom slide). They worked a couple of weeks ago, but not today.

I checked the fuses, and they're all good. Is there some wiring bundle that goes to both slides that may have a loose connector or shorted something out? I'm hoping for a quick fix and would rather not have to spend hundreds of bucks letting a repair shop use a dozen man-hours of labor trying to figure it out.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it. I'm off work tomorrow, but then gone for another week (I'm a truck driver). Please lord, praying for a quick fix... LOL

Many thanks!

Chris

Old 03-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #2

The light fixture over my table in the slide has a on/off switch on the light fixture itself plus a wall switch. Are your lights set up the same way?

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #3

No, mine simply has a switch on the fixture. No wall switch.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

Only thing else I would suggest is to look under the slide for any wiring and then if there is a 12v breaker with a reset button near by. The 12v breakers are usually rectangular gray plastic about 1 to 1 1/2" long and have 2 posts (12v in and 12v out). Good luck.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #5

Thanks a bunch, Bob. I'll give it a shot on my next day off that it isn't raining. LOL
Old 03-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #6

Same thing happened to my rig. Troubleshooting revealed there is a bundle of wires beneath your slide out that are mounted to an articulated arm which provides attachment for the wires when the slide out moves in and out. These wires carry DC 12 voltage to the lights within the slide out. Locate and look for broken arm/wires. Lots of luck..........
Old 03-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #7

Thanks a bunch, Salty. Kinda strange that both front and rear slide bundles would go out at the same time, wouldn't you agree? Makes me wonder if there is a line that feeds both slide bundles?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #8

You are absolutely correct. I did not pick up on the term BOTH Slides were inop. Us poor folks can only afford a SINGLE Slide. (:>)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #9

It is entirely possible that there is a single feed wire running from one slide to another along the frame rails.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:40 AM   #10

Guess I'm going to have to get under it and find out (when I get time off in April). I guess my plan of attack will be to check the rails for the elusive DC circuit breaker/fuse and then pull the underside (which I'm dreading) if no wire bundles are visible. Thanks for all the great ideas and input!

Tags
light, slide, slide out