Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #1

Owned NEW camper for 7 hours - Slide will not Operate

I just purchased a Forest River Cherokee 264BH (2014). I brought it home, which was a 2 hour drive. Once we were home, we put the slide out and looked the camper over and made some plans for how we would use the storage. When we put the slide back it, it did not make the ratchet noise at the completion, like the dealer said it would. 20 minutes later, the neighbors came to look at the camper, and the slide will not operate at all. The slide is operated by a touch screen, and pushing either direction, in or out, will not cause any motors to run or the slide to move. This is my first camper and I not know where the slide motors are, where the wiring is or anything, like breakers etc. Any reason why the slide wont work? Does it need to be plugged in to power, or will it run off the battery.
Oakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakster View Post
I just purchased a Forest River Cherokee 264BH (2014). I brought it home, which was a 2 hour drive. Once we were home, we put the slide out and looked the camper over and made some plans for how we would use the storage. When we put the slide back it, it did not make the ratchet noise at the completion, like the dealer said it would. 20 minutes later, the neighbors came to look at the camper, and the slide will not operate at all. The slide is operated by a touch screen, and pushing either direction, in or out, will not cause any motors to run or the slide to move. This is my first camper and I not know where the slide motors are, where the wiring is or anything, like breakers etc. Any reason why the slide wont work? Does it need to be plugged in to power, or will it run off the battery.
It should run off the battery, but do try it plugged in.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #3

Will do, battery is at full charge.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest looking for a in-line fuse or resettable circuit breaker that powers the slide...should be very close to the battery.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #5

Look for this between the battery an the trailer if it still does not work.

Push the little black button.

I see Dave_Monica beat me to it.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Look for this between the battery an the trailer if it still does not work.

Push the little black button.

I see Dave_Monica beat me to it.

Thank you both. It seems like something like this would be the issue. I didnt know it existed. I will try to check it out in a few minutes. Is this common?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #7

I would not say common but it does happen.
Was the trailer kind of unleveled?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #8

yes, come to think of it. it is good side to side, but front to back it is out of level, just unhooked from the truck. I bet that bound things up and popped the breaker.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #9

So, it looks like the wires lead to two of the silver things, but no black button on the side. Just two of those silver blocks with many wires on them. Is it possible the slide needs to be moved by hand just a bit because it is bound up? When I use the touch screen to activate the slide, there is click coming from the fuse panel that is above the sink. I checked the row of fuses numbers 1,2,3,4 and they were all good. there are some more fuses on it, but I would need to read up on the fuse panel to see which protected the slide motor.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #10

If there is one on/in the panel it will be a 30 amp or better.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
Infractee

Do you have a manual button to push in addition to the touchscreen for the slide?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #12

No manual button. I will look into it more in the morning
Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #13
Infractee

Just wondered as our in new 5th wheel, the bedroom slide would not go out with touchscreen but would with the button on the wall.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #14

thanks for all the help guys! I learned a lot about the camper already. So when i operated the touch screen to move the slide, I could hear a relay clicking in the cabinets. I took the panel off to expose the noise and found the fuse panel there. I found that a 30 amp fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and all is well. Slide has operated normally with the trailer leveled and a functioning fuse! Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #15

I swear to goodness I read this thread yesterday,
quess what happens today, yup you guessed it ,I closed my slide and it did not make rachet sound,
first thing I did was look for the 30 amp fuse, yup she was blown, headed to the store tomorrow to get a new one, I will get a spare as well,
I would not have had any idea had I not read this,,
Thank you for asking the question,
Camping fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #16

Not to Hijack this thread, but since it is solved<G>...

This is a GOOD Lesson learned folks and fortunately ya'll learned your lesson in your driveway We learned ours in a state park 40 miles from anything in NM

Put together a parts bag (a GREAT buy is a 12-15" tool bag at Harbor Freight for $7-8) load this sucker up with spare fuses, hose clamps, crimp connecters for 16-12 GA wire, water hose washers, teflon tape, multimeter, circuit tester, duct & electrical tape, a cheap water hose splice repair kit, and anything else you feel would be useful!

Helps also to get a decent all-in-one "Home handyman" tool set (We got great one at Sam's that has everything from screwdrivers to sockets n wrenches a hammer and a decent level for @ $40)

NEVER leave home without these
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #17

Update! We were preparing the camper for its maiden voyage, making beds, filling cupboards etc, and found the slide to blow the fuse again. So far, it has not completed two full cycles of the slide without blowing the fuse. Called the dealer and they said it is either a bad motor or a bad ground, and to bring it back to them. Looks like a 2 hour road trip to Rapid City for repairs. I think we will use it over the 4th and just take extra fuses with us.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #18
Jack of All Trades

Can you manually override the motors with a crank? No familiar with your trailer, but ours has a crank access holes. That would at least eliminate the chance that it is in a bind if your trailer is torqued. I don't think the "level" would affect it much as far as front to back or side to side....as long as it is not "torqued," meaning, twisted. Like holding both ends of a playing card and twisting in opposite directions. As long as the frame is "flat," level shouldn't matter much I wouldn't think.

Edit: I guess I missed the updates when I read then posted. Best of luck to ya.
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, slide