Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Plastic slide strips

I have gotten tired of replacing glide strips on my unit. FR did make a change they now use a 2 glue strip or 2 sided tape. Before they just stapled them to the bottom of the slide floor. The staples move and get caught as they work out and rip the plastic strip. Also as the slide moves in and out below the side metal strip that overs the outside edge cuts the plastic like a box knife that can let water in contact with the wood floor before it will break apart. Every year this happens to at least 2 of them. So I bought 4 from FR to replace them all. Then I decided to take it a local metal fab. and had stainless steel made. They made an exact copy. I have to take it in to have them put on but I hope this will end my yearly trip and expense to have them repaired. I'll let you know how it works out or if it can be done but I don't see a reason why it will not work. I got the Idea from the member in Australia that had it done 2 years ago, and said his problem is now gone .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glide strips 009.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	64370  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Site Team

interesting.. To protect your flooring you might want to get some Slide Out Slicker.
The double side tape on mine has started to loose its hold. Dont think it likes the colder weather. Or, now that we are on a seasonal site and have the slides open for long periods of time.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #3

Just curious where are those strips located. If on the bottom of the slide I donot even have them.
wolfe4656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe4656 View Post
Just curious where are those strips located. If on the bottom of the slide I donot even have them.
Yepperz, that's the place

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

I will have to check with FR and see if they should be on all slides. I have a 2014 Prime Time LaCross 327RES and its not on any of the slides and there are three. I wonder if that is why my kitchen floor was torn earlier.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe4656 View Post
I will have to check with FR and see if they should be on all slides. I have a 2014 Prime Time LaCross 327RES and its not on any of the slides and there are three. I wonder if that is why my kitchen floor was torn earlier.
Umm.....you might want to look this thread over.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-45789.html

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #7

Thank You that is the same issue I am having.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
WFD

gljurczyk: I have a plastic strip cracked just as you say gljurczyk...the one in the fridge/oven slide towards the front...have examined it closely, and as you say, mine has no staples. I caulked the crack for now to keep moisture out, but now trailer is going into storage for the winter, so I will look to get replacements. Contacted a dealer and he tells me they only cost $8 and change....maybe thats why they crack so easily...cheap product.
Are they difficult to replace? looks like the metal strip facing the outside needs to come off first and also looks like the slide can't be fully extended so as to be able to slide it into place.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
gljurczyk: I have a plastic strip cracked just as you say gljurczyk...the one in the fridge/oven slide towards the front...have examined it closely, and as you say, mine has no staples. I caulked the crack for now to keep moisture out, but now trailer is going into storage for the winter, so I will look to get replacements. Contacted a dealer and he tells me they only cost $8 and change....maybe thats why they crack so easily...cheap product.
Are they difficult to replace? looks like the metal strip facing the outside needs to come off first and also looks like the slide can't be fully extended so as to be able to slide it into place.
You are correct, I have had this problem on day one. These slides are to heavy to be using plastic on them. I have had 2 a year replaced. I can't see how it can bind. You don't notice it until they fall apart. If you don't catch it in time, you stand the chance of ripping the bottom sweep and also the rubber in the corner that will start to leak. I thought about just taking them off and seal the side of the floor to protect it from a water. The reason I keep thinking they are breaking is that the white 1" outer strip that covers the top edge holding it tight but the plastic rips at that point of the 90 because of the 3" of plastic moving on the bottom and that creates the cuts then there is nothing holding it the bottom but staples or tape now then they get loose and once they catch it rips it to all hell. There just has to be a better way. I'll give this a shot. It the same thickness but it solid and won't give. On the bedroom slide I have the rollers, no strips at all, but a roller will not fit or work in that area. I can only try. I hate tiring to reinvent the wheel. But replacing them yearly is really not an option but a must being a pour design for the weight. I understand this might not work but it's not the cost of the plastic it's the cost of the labor to repair them. I will find out and let you know. I can only hope it works. You need to take the white outer strip off first, Then open it until it just lifts up inside then slip the strip on from inside to out because of the 45 degree cut on the edge inside that fits in the tray.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
WFD

gljurczyk: just to make sure I understand correctly..when you say to open the slide just till it starts to lift...do you mean that the slide will be open very little and most work will be done from inside? It looked to me like I would open it "almost" all the way, stopping it just before the slide seems to drop into place. That seemed to give the best access to be able slide the plastic edge from the inside and have space above the plastic glide that is attached to the floor.
I get what you mean about the 45 degree cut in the plastic strip, so know that it has to be put in place from the inside out.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
gljurczyk: just to make sure I understand correctly..when you say to open the slide just till it starts to lift...do you mean that the slide will be open very little and most work will be done from inside? It looked to me like I would open it "almost" all the way, stopping it just before the slide seems to drop into place. That seemed to give the best access to be able slide the plastic edge from the inside and have space above the plastic glide that is attached to the floor.
I get what you mean about the 45 degree cut in the plastic strip, so know that it has to be put in place from the inside out.
The slide has to be in the up position (rocked back) It is a bear to get it in because of the trim. If you wait until next week I'll tell you how they exactly installed it. They are going to do it Tuesday. I will get back to you...

Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Wfd, They replaced the plastic with the stainless steel. They had to jack the side up to get them in place. They would still need to do that with the plastic. It's not the cost of plastic glide strip it's the labor to do it at $90.00 per hr. is what my dealer charges. I have 4 brand new ones I paid 46.00 for from FR. If you want them I'll sell them to you and you pay shipping. Pm me if you want them. But I also suggest that you get some made out of 18ga. Stainless and end your problem.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Wfd, They replaced the plastic with the stainless steel. They had to jack the side up to get them in place. They would still need to do that with the plastic. It's not the cost of plastic glide strip it's the labor to do it at $90.00 per hr. is what my dealer charges. I have 4 brand new ones I paid 46.00 for from FR. If you want them I'll sell them to you and you pay shipping. Pm me if you want them. But I also suggest that you get some made out of 18ga. Stainless and end your problem.
Are you able to post a picture of these strips with the slide out? How wide are they?
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Are you able to post a picture of these strips with the slide out? How wide are they?
They are 3" wide the same exact ones that they put on all rockwoods and I think Flagstaff. There is a post with a picture of both on line. I'll try and find the post and get back to you.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #15

here it is under Plastic slide strips Date 10/08/2014 has picture attached I tried to include in this post that I copied but it didn't work.
I have gotten tired of replacing glide strips on my unit. FR did make a change they now use a 2 glue strip or 2 sided tape. Before they just stapled them to the bottom of the slide floor. The staples move and get caught as they work out and rip the plastic strip. Also as the slide moves in and out below the side metal strip that overs the outside edge cuts the plastic like a box knife that can let water in contact with the wood floor before it will break apart. Every year this happens to at least 2 of them. So I bought 4 from FR to replace them all. Then I decided to take it a local metal fab. and had stainless steel made. They made an exact copy. I have to take it in to have them put on but I hope this will end my yearly trip and expense to have them repaired. I'll let you know how it works out or if it can be done but I don't see a reason why it will not work. I got the Idea from the member in Australia that had it done 2 years ago, and said his problem is now gone .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: glide strips 009.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 255.3 KB
ID: 64370

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Revolution sidewinder
W/ 4 point Level UP System Hydraulic
gljurczyk is online now Report Post e it is.,...

Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #16
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Thanks for getting back. The reason I asked is because my Wildcat doesn't have any and I'm seeing now a little fray of the fabric in one corner. I'm thinkin of duplicating your strips out of some .125" stainless I got laying around. Can't hurt.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #17

Was going do the same thing but out of aluminum, but my friend that works at fab shop said his boss tried to do the same and his motor burned up on slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #18
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstell2 View Post
Was going do the same thing but out of aluminum, but my friend that works at fab shop said his boss tried to do the same and his motor burned up on slide.

I'm fully hydraulic so there's no worry for me.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstell2 View Post

I don't doubt that he has said that, but I kinda find it hard to Believe that they burnt his motor up unless his slide wasn't adjusted correctly. The side picks up as it comes in and go's out the only place barely touches is over the neoprene bar. It sure couldn't be from weight and in fact the stainless is slicker going across then the plastic. If you use alum. you going to get black on your carpets. On the inside I put down slide slickers but even that isn't necessary. I here no strain at all and work the same as plastic but better protection. I have 4 new plastic ones for sale $46.00 what I paid FR for them....Haven't had a problem yet and must have ran it in and out 50 times. Also trevor from Australia did the same thing 2 years ago out of stainless and his motors are just find. but when the slide comes in the weight sits on the plastic and cracks them let alone the staples getting caught and ripping them. Look at your bar you will see what the drag is doing to them. hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #20
Site Team

When I was looking for slide wear strips I looked at many units at shows and dealers.
At that time the Rockwoods used a thin flimsy wear strip and was not a good choice, for me anyway.
The double sided tape needs to be watched close. One of mine strips has started to pull / give way from the darco. Think possibly from being open all the time at the seasonal camp site.
The plastic wear strips I have in combo with 303 aerospace are very slick.

Zelda the campin dog

Tags
slide