Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #1

Rear Bed Slide Out Repair

The last two times we have been camping, the rear slide would get caught,
And not want to retract. We would have to give it a upward push from the
outside, and then it would retract. I could not figure out where the problem was.
In preparation for our next trip, I had the slide deployed on Saturday.
I found a roller on the floor, and knew there was an issue. I looked under the gasket
on the curb side and was able to see that the caps that hold the roller spindle on were
missing.

The only way to access the roller with enough space to work on it is to remove the
top section of the interior trim. The corner rosettes pop off (brad nails), this allows
access to the screws that hold the corner blocks on. Once the blocks are removed, then
the center trim pops out (brad nails), allowing access to the screws that hold the trim base
on. Once that’s removed, I had to pull the roofing material loose that was stapled to the
board. The last part was to remove this board to gain access to the roller assembly.

I supported the slid from the outside and backed the set screw off (top center) to release the tension.
I then replaced the roller, using a bolt with a lock nut. I then reset the tension on the roller.

Here is what the unrepaired street side roller looks like. I checked it and it seemed to be OK.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

Replaced the “base board” and reattached the roofing material overlap.

All the trim put back on, pin nailed as needed. This repair took about four hours, start to finish, and cost $2.00 in parts.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #3

Nice work. It pays, in lost trailer use time and aggravation, to be a little handy

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
The last two times we have been camping, the rear slide would get caught,
And not want to retract. We would have to give it a upward push from the
outside, and then it would retract. I could not figure out where the problem was.
In preparation for our next trip, I had the slide deployed on Saturday.
I found a roller on the floor, and knew there was an issue. I looked under the gasket
on the curb side and was able to see that the caps that hold the roller spindle on were
missing.

The only way to access the roller with enough space to work on it is to remove the
top section of the interior trim. The corner rosettes pop off (brad nails), this allows
access to the screws that hold the corner blocks on. Once the blocks are removed, then
the center trim pops out (brad nails), allowing access to the screws that hold the trim base
on. Once that’s removed, I had to pull the roofing material loose that was stapled to the
board. The last part was to remove this board to gain access to the roller assembly.

I supported the slid from the outside and backed the set screw off (top center) to release the tension.
I then replaced the roller, using a bolt with a lock nut. I then reset the tension on the roller.

Here is what the unrepaired street side roller looks like. I checked it and it seemed to be OK.
I've been concerned with my slide on my 235 rks. It does not make contact with the top of the slide at all, there is 1/4" between the roller and the slide roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6142_2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	6293  
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
I've been concerned with my slide on my 235 rks. It does not make contact with the top of the slide at all, there is 1/4" between the roller and the slide roof.
On the top/center, behind the "V", is the tension adjustmet. You can take a wrench and turn the nut on the threaded rod to push the roller down tight to the top of the slide out.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

We have a 2008 255rks and are having issues with the bottom of the slide. The bracket holding the roller on the left side is catching on the bottom of the slide. It appears to be bent. We cannot move the slide in or out without a second person guiding it. Any thoughts on how to repair?
khriesik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #7

Mine did the exact same thing once. The bracket was not bent, but the nut/cap on the end of the roller pin had come off and the roller had fallen down. When the slide went out, it was sliding on the corner of the bracket, not the roller. I made a 2x4 "T" brace and postioned it under the bed with the slide in the out position. I put a car jack under the "T" brace and jacket up that side of the bed. I was able to reach the roller and replace the cap from the wall cubby cutout under the bed on the inside. No issue since.

If the bracket is bent, I do not see any option but to replace it. I don't think that can be done unless the slide out is removed to gain access to the area. Not something that is impossible to do yourself, but requires a whole lot of the right equipment, none of wicich I or most anyone would have. Sounds like a trip to the reapir shop may be needed.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Tags
bed