Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Beth,

I wish things work out for you. I would like to say that once the situation is in the hands of your camper's warranty division we have done all we can really be expected to do.

F.R.O.G. Bob is the head honcho of the Forest River Owners Group and is as "On Your Side" as we are BUT he is not the "decider" in your situation; the division's warranty manager is (who you are already in touch with directly).

Trying to "litigate" your situation in the forum is a violation of the posting rules but I totally understand your frustration. Has your dealer given you any feedback they may have received regarding FR participation?
Not as of yet Herk, he tried to get some information regarding what we could get done but they havent gotten back to him...I will handle it without commenting here for now and just let everyone know if and when something gets solved. thanks again for your help ...its greatly appreciated. Beth.
kant160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #62

Exclamation Is that your FINAL answer?

SO far I have gotten requests to get letters from RV dealer stating the collapse of the rear slide was a mfg defect and it was the aluminum frame that was responsible for the collapse....I complied with 2 letters and extra photos....they STILL are saying it was the wafer board that became wet (from OVER EXTENDING) which it shouldnt do in the first place AND they do not even make them anymore....Hmmmmm I WONDER WHY? I am giving EVERYONE w/a rear slide a heads up! IF the water that got in due to the over extension of the rear slide IS the cause then BEWARE of your slide they will ALL FALL OUT...I ONLY hope a child or pet is NOT!!! UNDER It when it does! NO slide should fall out from MINOR water damage to WAFER BOARD!!!! IF IF IF it happens to ANYONE contact me I will be the FIRST one to go to court with you! Im serious ALL I have asked is to find out HOW this could happen and fix it so it doesnt happen to anyone else!!! Forest RIver NEVER to date has even sent a rep to visually inspect this DISASTER! Im serious if I died or got seriously injured this would have been taken care of already ...Im saddened and upset that being honest has only hurt us in the long run!
Old 11-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #63

Kant 160,I think you meant (a child is NOT under it,when it falls)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #64

Whew! Kant- How frustrating.. I think there is still room for court proceedings but that's up to you. There is a major liability and lack of customer service going on. I don't blame you for being 110% livid. If your child had been in the unit when that occurred would you be treating it differently? Treat it the same. I'd be calling daily with follow up (polite but stern) emails. I am not trying to rock the boat but having been in the legal field for years I think taking the laid back, patient approach will get you nowhere. Good luck and keep us posted if (doubtfully) anything changes.
ApexBunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #65

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Kant 160,I think you meant (a child is NOT under it,when it falls)! Youroo!!
yes sorry typing with emotion and fast....NOT UNDER IT !
Old 11-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
Whew! Kant- How frustrating.. I think there is still room for court proceedings but that's up to you. There is a major liability and lack of customer service going on. I don't blame you for being 110% livid. If your child had been in the unit when that occurred would you be treating it differently? Treat it the same. I'd be calling daily with follow up (polite but stern) emails. I am not trying to rock the boat but having been in the legal field for years I think taking the laid back, patient approach will get you nowhere. Good luck and keep us posted if (doubtfully) anything changes.
hi I think you may be right and I am looking into getting a lawyer now, just wanted to avoid that but apparently they dont want to work with me at all..they said if I can tow it there (Indiana from RI and back!) they will fix it at a discount ...what? its going to cost at least $3,000. just to get it there and back...and they wont tell me what type of discount ..they just want me to go away !
Old 11-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #67
Retired Electronic Tech

If you haven't already, might contact the Attorney General's Office and BBB before contacting an attorney. Sometimes they won't touch it if it's in litigation. Would be a lot cheaper if they can do something. We haven't used them with Forest River, but have had great results with other disputes.
1995 Cobra Monterey MH; 2000 Monaco-HR MH;
2006 Montana Mountaineer FW;
2016/2019 Flagstaff Micro Lite TT; 2010 Chevy 1500
retiredtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #68

Two thoughts...

1- Isn't the factory in Elkhart, IN? I would tow it there and leave it out front with a sign (you can tell them via email if you don't have a resolution you'll be there in x amount of days) to show their customers what type of product and customer service to expect

2- Retiredtechnician is right: If possible, pull out all the stops before filing lawsuits against them. BBB and Attorney generals office is a great place to start. They will shut down all communication after you threaten a lawsuit, though I'm surprised they don't already expect one. BUT if they don't do what needs to be done, pursue an attorney. Heck, I'd talk to one anyways but don't tell them that.
ApexBunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #69
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kant160 View Post
hi I think you may be right and I am looking into getting a lawyer now, just wanted to avoid that but apparently they dont want to work with me at all..they said if I can tow it there (Indiana from RI and back!) they will fix it at a discount ...what? its going to cost at least $3,000. just to get it there and back...and they wont tell me what type of discount ..they just want me to go away !
Beth, I am sorry this appears not to have resolved to your satisfaction.

FR and ApexBunk's idea of a tow to the factory is not a bad one.
Call and make an appointment if you can.

I would like to remind you that should you decide to pursue a resolution via the legal system you should not post anymore regarding this issue as any settlement will surely require you to remove all comments made in open forums as part of that settlement. This happens all too often and in some cases involves hours of volunteer work tracking down posts all over the database. If you have posted in other forums you will need to track those down as well.

This is why we have prohibitions regarding "litigating via forum".

I, and the staff I am sure, wish you the very best, but we have done all we can be expected to do to help you with your problem.

Lou
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #70

I have not written on any other forums.......Im just very upset and keep thinking it will happen again to someone else and that makes me even more upset...it could be so much worse .
Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #71

I think you should take them (F.R.) up on the offer to take it to the factory and let them repair it at a discounted price. That's a more than fair offer. If your engine explodes on a 2009 pickup truck out of warranty no manufacturer is going to split the cost of the rebuild with you.

The trailer has been out of warranty for 5 years or better. It's going to be tough if not impossible to prove it failed due to a manufacturing defect. Rockwood made rear slides for around 10 years, and this is the first time I have ever seen or heard about one falling clear off the trailer. I have heard of some sagging but falling off? I belong to a number of RV and camping forums and this was a first. They made who knows how many rear slide trailers in those 10 years, and to my knowledge they had no huge amount of slide issues so trying to prove a manufacturing defect will not be easy.

Do not take this the wrong way. From looking at your picture of the massive water damage below the slide out, that could very well be the reason it failed. That damage did not happen overnight, you had water intrusion for quite awhile. Despite the slide being supported by a frame its design was dependent on being supported by the structure below. The lower structure apparently failed. The welds of the slide out frame could of failed due to stress caused by the weakened structure below.

Are you really going to attempt to engage in litigation for a trailer that at the most is worth about 9K? You're going to need to do that out of state, and that gets expensive in a hurry. Not to mention as soon as you do that's the end of any help from F.R. If it was I, I'd be towing it to Indiana ASAP.

If you take them up on the offer you have a repaired trailer worth 9K to 11K so says the book, and what could be the most it costs you out of pocket? $2000 for the split of repairs and travel expenses?
Go the other route and you have a trailer worth nothing, you'll be paying out a ton of legal fees as I don't see anyone taking it on the you don't pay unless we win model, and you'll be taking on a corporation with billions in revenue?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #72
Canadian Member

Kant160, I don't know what FR has offered you in terms of a discount on the repair but I can tell you of my experience.

We bought our previous 2010 Roo used from a private seller in February 2011. By the end of 2012 there was significant delamination visible on both bunk doors. FR offered to send me new door "cores" at their cost and I paid for the labour at a local dealer to switch the door cores. Yes, the Roo was only 2 years old and the delamination should not have happened so quickly, but considering the HTT was beyond the warranty period and I was not the original owner, I felt their offer was more than fair. They could have refused to do anything. Fortunately, the repairs could be done locally.

I'm sorry that this happened to you and hope that FR will be equally fair with you. If the repairs are too big for your local dealer I, too, would take it back to the factory for repairs. Try to be patient and keep working with them.

Good luck!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #73

"If you take them up on the offer you have a repaired trailer worth 9K to 11K so says the book, and what could be the most it costs you out of pocket? $2000 for the split of repairs and travel expenses?"

I live in RI and it would cost me at least 1500. ONE way to get it there, another 1500 to get it back and they never said what the discount would be...I truly believe they just said that to get me to go away :/
Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #74

Rockwood made rear slides for around 10 years, and this is the first time I have ever seen or heard about one falling clear off the trailer. I have heard of some sagging but falling off? I belong to a number of RV and camping forums and this was a first. .

EXACTLY my point!!!!!!! JUST from this forum alone I have read about all the over extended rear slides that people have had to patch in the corners! Dont you think they would have fallen too???? WHY didnt they? because their frames were structurally sound or they would ALL FALL OUT....if I am the ONLY one so far doesnt that say the frame wasnt strong enough to support it ...when I tell you the owner (one only...previously) was so meticulous with this trailer! They special ordered it from the factory and it is in other while impeccable condition...I really do think this particular case is different and wasnt properly welded from factory (I even have letters from people that have seen the frame and are RV repair shops) if I am the ONLY ONE... JMO
Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #75

Thats the problem they have not even told me what the discount would be and I have asked .... they just want me to go away
Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #76
Always Learning

REAR SLIDE FELL OUT WHILE IN IT..rockwood roo

Quote:
I live in RI and it would cost me at least 1500. ONE way to get it there, another 1500 to get it back and they never said what the discount would be...I truly believe they just said that to get me to go away :/

If you take it yourself, it shouldn't be that expensive... It appears to be about 850 miles from Rhode Island to Elkhart, IN. At $2.50 for gas and getting 10 mpg, you're talking just over $200 for fuel. (Fuel calc: http://towingplanner.com/TripPlanner...&ppg=2.5&m=850) Figure that is a 2-day drive and you'll have to hotel it for a night, add another $100. Say another $100 in food. That brings you a total of $400.

I know that the cost of time off of work isn't included nor is the time spent there waiting for it. But it is a far cry from $1,500 each way.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #77

Quote:
Thats the problem they have not even told me what the discount would be and I have asked .... they just want me to go away
Until they see the damage in person how can they know what it is going to cost? I'd bet its not going to cost anywhere near what you think it would be, and who knows... maybe they would not charge you anything. Sounds like you have already convinced yourself that litigation is the best course of action............Its not.

Good luck regardless.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #78

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I think you should take them (F.R.) up on the offer to take it to the factory and let them repair it at a discounted price. That's a more than fair offer. If your engine explodes on a 2009 pickup truck out of warranty no manufacturer is going to split the cost of the rebuild with you.

The trailer has been out of warranty for 5 years or better. It's going to be tough if not impossible to prove it failed due to a manufacturing defect. Rockwood made rear slides for around 10 years, and this is the first time I have ever seen or heard about one falling clear off the trailer. I have heard of some sagging but falling off? I belong to a number of RV and camping forums and this was a first. They made who knows how many rear slide trailers in those 10 years, and to my knowledge they had no huge amount of slide issues so trying to prove a manufacturing defect will not be easy.

Do not take this the wrong way. From looking at your picture of the massive water damage below the slide out, that could very well be the reason it failed. That damage did not happen overnight, you had water intrusion for quite awhile. Despite the slide being supported by a frame its design was dependent on being supported by the structure below. The lower structure apparently failed. The welds of the slide out frame could of failed due to stress caused by the weakened structure below.

Are you really going to attempt to engage in litigation for a trailer that at the most is worth about 9K? You're going to need to do that out of state, and that gets expensive in a hurry. Not to mention as soon as you do that's the end of any help from F.R. If it was I, I'd be towing it to Indiana ASAP.

If you take them up on the offer you have a repaired trailer worth 9K to 11K so says the book, and what could be the most it costs you out of pocket? $2000 for the split of repairs and travel expenses?
Go the other route and you have a trailer worth nothing, you'll be paying out a ton of legal fees as I don't see anyone taking it on the you don't pay unless we win model, and you'll be taking on a corporation with billions in revenue?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Kant160, I don't know what FR has offered you in terms of a discount on the repair but I can tell you of my experience.

We bought our previous 2010 Roo used from a private seller in February 2011. By the end of 2012 there was significant delamination visible on both bunk doors. FR offered to send me new door "cores" at their cost and I paid for the labour at a local dealer to switch the door cores. Yes, the Roo was only 2 years old and the delamination should not have happened so quickly, but considering the HTT was beyond the warranty period and I was not the original owner, I felt their offer was more than fair. They could have refused to do anything. Fortunately, the repairs could be done locally.

I'm sorry that this happened to you and hope that FR will be equally fair with you. If the repairs are too big for your local dealer I, too, would take it back to the factory for repairs. Try to be patient and keep working with them.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Until they see the damage in person how can they know what it is going to cost? I'd bet its not going to cost anywhere near what you think it would be, and who knows... maybe they would not charge you anything. Sounds like you have already convinced yourself that litigation is the best course of action............Its not.

Good luck regardless.
WHY on earth would I think litigation would be best...its been months of emails and you are right how do they know if they never sent a rep out? to SEE the damage so how can they even say its NOT structural ? I DO NOT want to take anyone to court I have been so patient and HONEST beyond the avg person and its gotten me no where....please do not ASSume.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #79
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Take it to forest river and go from there.

This thread is now running in circles and has no true value now.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #80
Site Team - Lou

I hope you have not gotten yourself so wrapped up in your ideal solution that a compromise is impossible. If so your disappointment will only deepen.

I know of no one who got work done at the factory and came away nothing short of amazed at the value. Once there, the tendency is to exceed your expectations.

Forgive me but it seems you may not be able to take "yes" as an answer.

Good luck Beth and happy camping.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care, customer service, family, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo, safety, slide, trailer