Old 04-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

Recharging battery with truck

I just purchased a FR R Pod 179, 2019. I am in total panic that my battery will run low while dry camping and I will not be able to retract my slide out.
I would like to avoid buying a generator. In order to keep my battery charged I know I can plug my R Pod into the truck and start the truck. My question. Why don't more people do that? What's the point of the generator when I have a truck right on site?
Thanks
Ric

trekkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

Don't expect much current getting to your battery from your truck. The wires are thin and the distance is great. If you want maximum charging from your truck try using jumper cables from battery to battery. I added 4 gauge wire from my power distribution box under the hood of the truck to the trailer battery. I have not found my amp meter to see how much power I am getting.
You truck will provide enough power to run you slides in (I think.)

BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkerman View Post
I just purchased a FR R Pod 179, 2019. I am in total panic that my battery will run low while dry camping and I will not be able to retract my slide out.
I would like to avoid buying a generator. In order to keep my battery charged I know I can plug my R Pod into the truck and start the truck. My question. Why don't more people do that? What's the point of the generator when I have a truck right on site?
Thanks
Ric
first you'll go through a lot of gas running your truck to try and charge the batteries . the best way is as mentionned in the other post to hook up jumper cables and run the truck but still to charge a dead battery would cost you gallons of gas . a generator maybe a pint of gas and do it better . plus it's not good for a gas truck engine to idle that long
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Site Team

As mentioned you will get some charging from the truck while towing but usually only enough to cover small usage. You will accomplish nothing ( but wasting gas) by plugging in to the truck and letting the engine idle for a while. You can get a small inverter generator for a few hundred dollars. Even then you may need to run it for a few hours every morning and evening.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #5

What type of truck? My ram has factory a/c current plug. Battery charger and extension cord. Get a jumper box, my craftmans jumper box, also does my tt tires, charges phones etc.
Lots of ways to due things.
Congrats on the tt.

I use a honda gen though.

2018 Rockwood 2606
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummings
Semper Fi
Pillboxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #6

Due to line loss the power coming from the generator travels thru so much small wire the end result is the tv alternator does little more than provide a trickle charge. Will recharge the battery in days.

If you really boondock a lot you will need a generator. Or 110 outlet. Or solar and sunny days.

Or more batteries. Donít run the furnace. A power hog.

A voltmeter to tell you where you are on power is a good plan

Run the battery down more than 50% and the battery will die early.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #7

I dont think the OP's main concern or question was to charge the battery with the TV. I think that was a small side question. His MAIN question if I am not mistaken is if hooking the TV up to trailer will provide enough juice to pull the slide in. I literally had this exact same concern myself. I just picked up my 2018 Wolf Pup 18TO Yesterday. I asked the technician while they were giving us the run down on the TT, if the truck could supply enough juice to pull the slide in. He did say the truck should supply enough juice to retract the slide but would NOT charge the battery very fast. I have yet to test this out or not, but that did make me feel more comfortable about dry camping. I was extremely worried about dry camping then being stuck with a slide out and not being able to go anywhere. So OP, I think you will be able to retract the slide if battery dies while boon-docking with your TV. As for charging up while boon-docking, I agree with everyone else in that the TV is more of a trickle charger. Again, I have to test either of these, but both do make sense. I hope these answer your questions OP?
J8manski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #8

Not sure about the slide outs. Don’t the electric ones have a handle to move them without power.

I think all rv’s should have a voltmeter. Batteries last longer. My hydraulic slides can be run with a battery operated drill in a pinch.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #9

The hydraulic ones use a cordless drive because you are turning the pump. As for electric I have no idea yet. I just parked the trailer in my driveway last night and haven't had a chance to look more in depth to it. I asked about the slide getting stuck out due to battery being dead and was told the TV could supply enough to slide in. I h
Do want to look into ho to access my specific slide motor though.
J8manski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
TGR

I think you are right in planning ahead for battery or electric motor failure.

The electric slide-outs on my 5th wheel each have a way to extend or retract them with a battery-powered electric drill or manual crank. I'll bet there is a similar way in your trailer.

During warranty work, the dealer left my battery connected for several weeks, which discharged the battery enough that there wasn't enough power to raise and lower my trailer's landing gear to attach my 5th to the trailer. I connected my running truck to the trailer and within 5 minutes I had enough power to raise and lower the landing gear. Here again, I could have used an electric drill to power the landing gear externally.

Be sure to check if your tow vericle sends power to your trailer. Some won't unless a fuse, relay or both are installed.

Tags
battery, charging, truck