Old 01-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #1

Replacing Hydraulic system

I have a 2005 model year Lippert pump assembly that has an internal bypass leak that makes things slowly move on their own. It runs 2 slides and the jacks(7 rams). I am a retired mechanic/machinist and have found the problem and have been making my own "O" ring washers to Band-Aid the problem. Lippert says no service parts are available. They also said this pump was discontinued and I need to replace the whole pump assembly, complete wiring harness and controls. They also said I could not do this myself because they have no support for DYI installers (no paper work or diagrams to show). Has anyone had to do this conversion.

estott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Head Rambler

This should be a simple DIY project for a mechanic/machinist that has electrically operated hydraulic systems experience. The hydraulic systems on an RV's are pretty simple systems as far as hydraulic systems go.

Replacing it with a home grown system would require a little work, but it wouldn't be a complex system.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #3

I agree it should be relatively easy, but since they say its a totally redesigned system and offer no wiring diagram it would make me nervous. They said they would sell me the parts but could not offer any guidance for installing. Also the controls for the slides are aft while the jacks controller are on the dash.
It just seems I cant be the only one with this failure.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

A hydraulic repair shop could rebuild it for less than you could buy one from Lippert. If you find the right shop they could make a new shuttle (the internal part that changes the flow direction of the oil) if the original is damaged.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #5

My pump must be the older style that actually reverses motor direction for in and out and up and down. I have "O" ring washer seals failing that are not available.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
A hydraulic repair shop could rebuild it for less than you could buy one from Lippert. If you find the right shop they could make a new shuttle (the internal part that changes the flow direction of the oil) if the original is damaged.
A good hydraulic shop should be able to repair your pump unless its cracked. See if you can find a shop that does a lot of military work, their specs and QC are really tight.

Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 31 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic