Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2018, 04:45 AM   #1

Roo 23SS slide rotted

New to slides, didn't know what to look for. Bought the camper on Craigslist from a re-seller that got it from Flagg RV, it was a trade in. We were told no leaks and everything worked fine. It had actually been on Flagg's website a few days earlier for $7,999 and then marked as sold. We got it for $6,000.
After getting it home we realized opening and closing slide was starting to struggle.
I'll try to explain best I can and get pictures to add.The wood in the slide wall under the couch and kitchen is rotted, obviously a leak we must find. It's the beam that the motor and both slide rails are bolted to. The slide is sagging and damaging the outer bottom wall as is goes in and out, the motor is hanging down and touching the floor causing it to be torqued and leaving a dent in the floor. After inspection it's clear to see the rails and motor have been re attached at some point probably to move from the rot.
Anyone ever fixed this themselves?
I'm so upset about this, we even brought it to the local RV sales and service place after we bought it to have it checked and $300.00 later they told us all was fine other than some de-laminating. Turns out most of the "de-lamination" is actually the wall studs showing because of the stress of the slide.
High School Spanish teacher
smalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalt View Post
New to slides, didn't know what to look for. Bought the camper on Craigslist from a re-seller that got it from Flagg RV, it was a trade in. We were told no leaks and everything worked fine. It had actually been on Flagg's website a few days earlier for $7,999 and then marked as sold. We got it for $6,000.

After getting it home we realized opening and closing slide was starting to struggle.

I'll try to explain best I can and get pictures to add.The wood in the slide wall under the couch and kitchen is rotted, obviously a leak we must find. It's the beam that the motor and both slide rails are bolted to. The slide is sagging and damaging the outer bottom wall as is goes in and out, the motor is hanging down and touching the floor causing it to be torqued and leaving a dent in the floor. After inspection it's clear to see the rails and motor have been re attached at some point probably to move from the rot.

Anyone ever fixed this themselves?

I'm so upset about this, we even brought it to the local RV sales and service place after we bought it to have it checked and $300.00 later they told us all was fine other than some de-laminating. Turns out most of the "de-lamination" is actually the wall studs showing because of the stress of the slide.

My floor is dry rotted on 23ss! Motor also fell out touching floor . Hope my walls are ok?? Was told a maintenance issue on my part????? F.R. will not help you I’ve tried
gtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:13 AM   #3

So far slide and motor mounts are secure in the floor, definitely not in the wall though. We have an appt. end of June to get repair estimate, it's not something we can handle. Slide still goes in and out but acts like it's going ove a speed bump, my husband stay outside and tries to hold it up as it goes in and out. My husband put pvc pipe under one rail suport bu it didn't make much difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3141.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	173633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	173634  
Old 05-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Site Team

No RV manufacturer is going to repair a 13 year old RV not owned by the original owner, for free.

They might repair it for a price, if you took it to the factory.
They've done it before.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

I don't expect it for free! I'm just hoping the quote from the rv repair shop will be manageable. We paid 6k for the camper so I'm hoping for under 2k. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I don't expect it for free! I'm just hoping the quote from the rv repair shop will be manageable. We paid 6k for the camper so I'm hoping for under 2k. Fingers crossed.
I was only saying that many will pay the factory to repair the issue.
Nearly all are very happy with the results and often, FR will throw in some upgrades.

Wouldn't be worth it for us on the West Coast.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Gotcha. I didn't even think to ask the factory, but I'm sure it's too old. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Gotcha. I didn't even think to ask the factory, but I'm sure it's too old. Thanks!

Age is really of no consequence, give them a call. FR's factory repairs tend to be much more complete and much less money than having an independent shop do repairs.

Don't just assume they won't fix it, give them a call. It will likely be time (and money) well spent.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #9

Will do, thanks!! We really love the camper, and would love to have it fixed.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #10

Slideout rot

Quote:
Will do, thanks!! We really love the camper, and would love to have it fixed.
Hard to find slideout floor plans for 2010 23ss Roo. Will start taking inside apart for dry rot. Just brought home from inside storage for 8 months. Looking on line all winter for many suggestions how to. No camping this year - keep posting for updates.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtemp View Post
Hard to find slideout floor plans for 2010 23ss Roo.
Not sure what you mean by the 23SS slideout floor plan is hard to find.
Do you mean a detailed blueprint of the slideout
Old 06-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not sure what you mean by the 23SS slideout floor plan is hard to find.
Do you mean a detailed blueprint of the slideout
Yes. Just wondering what thickness I’ll be dealing with and what is involved where it meets the outer slide wall . Slide is sinking over the weak floor.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Never seen anyone get something like that, on any brand/model of RV.

Tags
23ss, roo, slide