Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #1

Rubber Seal Under Slide

So far our G'town 280DS has been pretty much flawless but recently we noticed that the seal/gasket that runs the length of the large slide has become twisted at one end. It's behind the rollers and has sticky goo which is supposed to keep it stuck to the slide but instead it sticks to the seal.

It doesn't seem to interfere with the movement of the slide but of course will want to get it fixed. We're in Utah right now and won't be home for another 2.5 weeks. I wondered what is involved in fixing it and if it's critical enough to try to find a repair shop. It's still under warranty but finding a dealer in the middle of Utah might be difficult. We're in Torrey but moving to Escalante today then onto Bryce & Zion next week.

Thoughts would be appreciated!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I see no one got back to you.

Without a picture I am flying blind, but I think you should be able to untwist the seal by hand and attempt to "re-stick" it. How isthe remainder of the seal attached? Is it stapled along the bottom or something?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #3

IF it stops raining here in the desert, I'll get a pic!

We did try to unwind it but the sticky stuff sticks really well to itself and we can't get fingers/hands under the slide far enough to work on it. It is picking up bits of carpet from the inside when the slide is retracted. This is on the underside of the slide and I think is supposed to adhere to what the slide slides into. Everytime we retract and extend the slide it twists up more.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Anacortesians

My feeling is that the seals underneath the slides aren't as critical as those on top, since precipitation comes down. I think the only thing to worry about is keeping wild critters out when the slide is deployed.

On our GT 325, the lower blade seal on the bedroom slide has rolled over for about 6" of it length at one end. Unlike yours, ours is fixed to the sill of the opening in the body wall and the slide-out moves over it. My plan is to get some dry-lube (graphite or moly) and spread it along the underside of the slider box. I'll probaly try to straighten it out with the awning rod first.