Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #1

Sagging Slideout topper

Hello, I just recently purchased a 2017 Flagstaff 26RLWS and noticed that twice when it has rained, I have standing water on top of the large slide out topper. Currently, I pull the slide in then back out to get rid of it.

Is there a way to adjust the tension on the topper so that it sheds the water? Prior to this I had a jayco with a slide and never had the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.
woodsman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

This seems to be a common complaint on toppers, especially if they are on a long slide.
There is also a fine line on how much tension should be 'rolled' into the springs that hold the topper awning fabric tight.

Too much tension and it could create stress issues on the top corners of the slide where the topper attaches. And possibly even slide deployment/alignment issues if wound really tight.

Too little tension and the awning sags (especially with water) and rolls up wrinkled.

I'm in the camp of... if it is snug on deployment when setting up, I don't worry about it sagging and touching the top of the slide after a huge rain.

As long as it protects the slide from debris and protects/sheds the water off the seal areas, I'm happy. Even sagging, I'd rather the water be on the topper instead of the slide and it is easily dumped if you choose to but I see no reason to do so.

Many folks use some sort of device to support the awning fabric.
Inflatable beach balls and PVC support stands are popular but need to be put in and removed each time the slide is moved.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

My only word of caution is to insure that all windows and doors are closed. No one is standing near a slide with a topper with water on top of it when the slide is closed otherwise someone or some thing is going to get wet.

Our three slide toppers always fill up with water when it rains and I leave the water on the topper until we leave with no problems for the topper. Although my wife has gotten wet once or twice when she brings the slides in and we have forgotten about the water on top.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the information, it is the longer slide that has the issue. I have noticed on the main awning it seem to be wrinkled when I roll it in and not too concerned about that since I can tilt it for rain.

I have read some posts about putting things like 4 "noodles to shed to water and that's ok if you stay for a while, but it is a hassle. I see your point about over tightening but still would like to get it snug to try and prevent it.
woodsman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

I have the same occurrence with my toppers and I don't think its a problem to get concerned about. After looking at other RVs with toppers, the water collection seems to relate to the incline of the topper. Toppers that are attached to the RV a few inches above the slide do not collect water whereas mine are horizontal to the slide and collect water.
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
si camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:47 PM   #6

I recently had my rig in for service on this issue. They installed a bracket in the middle of the slide to give the slide topper roller some support. Will see how this fix works on next trip
ktrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 03:40 PM   #7

Slide Out Topper Sag

I read on the forum, somewhere, that to counter the sag place a small (12"+/- diameter) inflated beach ball and it will lift the topper enough to allow the rainwater to drain off. I have done this on my rig and it seems to work. Amazon sells beach balls this size and in a variety of colors to match your topper or slide out color scheme.
jrschneider99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out