Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 01:38 AM   #121
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Schwintek system has to be the worst possible slide system out there, My brother in law had one on his lance and two years broke 3 times, He sold it back to the dealer for a loss, he just couldn't depend on it anymore. He bought a new trailer without slides.
I've prepared my wife- if the same slide stops working again, I'm done with this camper. I'll buy something that doesn't have Schwintek slides.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:48 AM   #122

Six months at the dealer, they have replaced every single part of the system. motor, harness, controller, bearing blocks, and columns. Added a bracket to help with the flex. This is just a little bed slide. Rear end of the slide only goes about three inches and then binds and stops, in or out. The dealer measured the slide out unit and it's about an inch wider at the top, FR doesn't think that has anything to do with it. Wish it would burn down on the dealer lot so I could just get a check and be done with FR and Poulsbo RV. Nightmare.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #123

Here is my schwintec slide story. I removed and rebuilt my slide on my sunseeker 3170 last march it is 11 feet long and holds the bedroom wardrobe and 2 bunk beds and imo the schwintec slide problems are more a result of poor instillation rather than a poor product. the rails on the slide walls need to be absolutely parallel to each other and the assembly needs to be mounted square to the walls of the camper. Another key to this is that no part of the schwintec slide mechanism is designed to carry the weight of the room it is a guide only. The weight of the room is carried by rollers under the room. After rebuilding my schwintec i can now push by myself with the motors unhooked the slide in and out very easily and I can tell the motors sound like they are not working as hard as before. We have used this with no problems all summer and i have watched it like a hawk and it preforms correctly now.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
Here is my schwintec slide story. I removed and rebuilt my slide on my sunseeker 3170 last march it is 11 feet long and holds the bedroom wardrobe and 2 bunk beds and imo the schwintec slide problems are more a result of poor instillation rather than a poor product. the rails on the slide walls need to be absolutely parallel to each other and the assembly needs to be mounted square to the walls of the camper. Another key to this is that no part of the schwintec slide mechanism is designed to carry the weight of the room it is a guide only. The weight of the room is carried by rollers under the room. After rebuilding my schwintec i can now push by myself with the motors unhooked the slide in and out very easily and I can tell the motors sound like they are not working as hard as before. We have used this with no problems all summer and i have watched it like a hawk and it preforms correctly now.
FR has told the dealership to remove the rollers, my unit was small enough to not need them.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by uralman View Post
What finally fixed mine was again replacing the motor. Now seems fine. Lip pert says there is nothing wrong with the old motor and refused the warranty claim. This slide uses the high torque motors. I always lubed mine. It is a big heavy kitchen slide.
no nothing wrong with motors . That's why they went form a 300 to1 to a 500 to 1 motor . they kept burning them up . along with the fact that the motor mount is a plastic that wears over time .the bigger the slide the more issues they have . have worked on a few and it's always a large slide that cause the issues
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
Here is my schwintec slide story. I removed and rebuilt my slide on my sunseeker 3170 last march it is 11 feet long and holds the bedroom wardrobe and 2 bunk beds and imo the schwintec slide problems are more a result of poor installation rather than a poor product. the rails on the slide walls need to be absolutely parallel to each other and the assembly needs to be mounted square to the walls of the camper. Another key to this is that no part of the schwintec slide mechanism is designed to carry the weight of the room it is a guide only. The weight of the room is carried by rollers under the room. After rebuilding my schwintec i can now push by myself with the motors unhooked the slide in and out very easily and I can tell the motors sound like they are not working as hard as before. We have used this with no problems all summer and i have watched it like a hawk and it preforms correctly now.
That does not surprise me one bit. All you need to do is look at the great amount of care taken to install other items and components. Does any worker in the RV industry know how to install a screw straight? Did they ever hear of pre-drill? How about plumb, level, and square? Straight can be a good thing.

I have not had a schwintek slide, but it looks like I am getting ready to have one. From what I have seen of them on other peoples units I can see how if they are not installed correctly you could have huge issues. The system looks to have some tight tolerances. Screwing the porch light or range hood vent on crooked is one thing, installing a slide out of alignment is something all together different?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #127

the motor bracket , and gear assy is only held in place by the inner and outer plates getting these set correctly will help a great deal . one thing for sure the quality of install , from FR and even dealer techs is lacking pride in workmanship .
Old 11-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
the motor bracket , and gear assy is only held in place by the inner and outer plates getting these set correctly will help a great deal . one thing for sure the quality of install , from FR and even dealer techs is lacking pride in workmanship .
Now look what you have done.

The very first thing I will probably do when my Roo 23WS arrives is tear the entire Schwintek assembly apart, even if it works fine. Thank you.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #129

We have a Sunseeker 2500T 2014, with Schwintek slides. We have issues with our slides making noise, grinding, sound awful. We too lube. Our back slide is now stuck out, waiting for mobile RV repair! This happened with our couch slide (fixed, at least not happening), wardrobe slide, not working correctly. The dealer and service man showed us how to reset the box to override. Push switch 6 times, wait for flashing light, supposed to override. Of course, it worked for them, it will not work for us. We have it plugged in and level! Of course it is out of warranty if it is major. We have from the get go! I did briefly talk to our FR warranty contact. He was nice, but said it was out of warranty, but I might try again because this is getting costly (not that this is unusual with an RV!)
UK Cards Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Cards Fan View Post
We have a Sunseeker 2500T 2014, with Schwintek slides. We have issues with our slides making noise, grinding, sound awful. We too lube. Our back slide is now stuck out, waiting for mobile RV repair! This happened with our couch slide (fixed, at least not happening), wardrobe slide, not working correctly. The dealer and service man showed us how to reset the box to override. Push switch 6 times, wait for flashing light, supposed to override. Of course, it worked for them, it will not work for us. We have it plugged in and level! Of course it is out of warranty if it is major. We have from the get go! I did briefly talk to our FR warranty contact. He was nice, but said it was out of warranty, but I might try again because this is getting costly (not that this is unusual with an RV!)
they should not grind . you may look at the rollers under the slide . if the over ride will not work you can push in manually first disconnect the motors at the control box . push slide in then re hook up the motors . sound's like you may have a broken bracket on the motor mount . but can't tell with out seeing it
Old 03-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #131

Thanks. I may have overstated the "grinding" but it doesn't sound pleasant. I understand advise to get it in, and will keep this in mind so we aren't stranded. But we have to have it fixed for our travels home later in the month. We don't need for this to keep happening!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #132

Quote:
The slide may be out of sync and not be able to come back in because it has 'counted' the number of turns and it believes that it is in. Reset the controller and then see if you can run the slide OUT all the way, then try to run it in about a foot and then back out and in and out the same amount (about a foot), it will then know the most outward length. you should then be able to run the slide in. The owners manual says that to slide the slide 'manually' you need to lift up the motors out of the slide and then it should be able to move. why the motors need to be moved up out of the gear is that the 12volt current puts a Brake on the motor. I found that it is easier to 'remove the Brake' is to remove the 12v power. ie... unhook the battery power and make sure it is not plugged up to shore power. When pushed back in (if needed) hook the power back up and the motor Brake will engage to hold the slide in place.

As a side comment... the 300-1 motors and assembly were to weak and brittle for my main slide and it is aluminum. I ended up spending some big bucks and replace the main slide with the upgraded steel assembly and 500-1 motors. Motors and assembly's do make a lot of noise at the gears. the slide pushes out fine by itself, but I stand out side and gently push it in as the wife pushes the button. not please with the slide issues and other issues, but will keep the camper for a while longer.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #133

Thanks. I did forget to say, the small amount it does come in, it slides in crooked so we stopped. Just thinking we may cause more damage. We did try the reset with the in and out as suggested by dealer. But crooked. It is throwing a fault of 8 blinks. We think it is a motor.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #134

Quote:
Thanks. I did forget to say, the small amount it does come in, it slides in crooked so we stopped. Just thinking we may cause more damage. We did try the reset with the in and out as suggested by dealer. But crooked. It is throwing a fault of 8 blinks. We think it is a motor.

disconnect all power to the camper (battery and land line) and see if the motors will 'release' the brakes and then see if you can push it in manually. then reconnect the power so the 'brake' will be back on.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #135

Thanks
Old 03-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #136

First trip out. Slide didn't come back in (all the way). Synchronize/Power wire didn't get secured properly out of the way and the slide ran it over Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2412.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	133081
CSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:57 AM   #137

My take on the Schwintek system is .......

#1- It was a great system until they were acquired by LCI who then did what LCI does so well. That is cheapen everything up and increase the price of repair parts exponentially.

#2- The system was not designed originally to be used on these 16' long and heavy slides that project 42" when extended.

#3- Most failures / problems are caused by the system / slide not being installed and aligned correctly when it's all assembled at the factory.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #138

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
My take on the Schwintek system is .......

#1- It was a great system until they were acquired by LCI who then did what LCI does so well. That is cheapen everything up and increase the price of repair parts exponentially.

#2- The system was not designed originally to be used on these 16' long and heavy slides that project 42" when extended.

#3- Most failures / problems are caused by the system / slide not being installed and aligned correctly when it's all assembled at the factory.

I agree on many points and add these.

If the slide, no matter what sizes is not square it will fail. I had that happen.

If there is any mechanical binding the Schwintek motors can not pull the slide in or out. Had that happen 1st trip on a Super Slide.

Wiring harness are junk.

Mounting the controller buried behind a door you can not get to when the slide is stuck in is poor planning.

The gear driver racks installed with flat head wood screws and move back and forth.

We just bought a Heartland Bighorn. On my new trailer no schwintek slides to be seen.

Great idea. The motors could be a bit bigger. Implementation on small slides are good idea if installed correctly.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #139

Don't forget about those shoes that go on the bearing blocks..sooo easy to break them
lozki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozki View Post
Don't forget about those shoes that go on the bearing blocks..sooo easy to break them
Not sure on what you are talking about? shoes?

Tags
slide