Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

Schwintek slide out

After an exhaustive search on how to manually operate the Lippert Schwintek slide out system, it appears that the best method is to remove a set screw located on the outside of the trailer that holds the motors in place and then go to the inside of the trailer and lift the motors up away from the drive gears. However, gaining access to the set screw which is located behind the rubber molding is not easy. The molding is sealed in place with weatherproof caulking and cannot be slid up or down. So how does one access the set screw and where exactly is it located?
Has anyone actually manually operated the slide out using this system and can you provide detailed info on how to locate the set screw and how to move the rubber molding away from the set screw?
biker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Actually all you need to do is disconnect the battery. This will allow you to push closed or pull open the slide. Reconnect the battery to lock the slide in position as the motors have built in brakes. Do NOT move the camper with the battery disconnected.

Here are some useful manuals and company web site.

Schwintek - Slide-Outs - Customer Support

If you look on YouTube you will find some helpful videos made by Schwintek.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0272.pdf (878.3 KB, 928 views)
File Type: pdf Kitchen Slide Out 2.pdf (486.0 KB, 480 views)
File Type: pdf Kitchen Slide Out.pdf (398.4 KB, 350 views)
File Type: pdf Schwintek-operation-service.pdf (1.82 MB, 705 views)
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Always Learning

Les & Heide are right - this is what the Sabre factory folks told me.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

this is very helpful. I read the instructions with my kitchen slide that say to unplug the motors and I was going to do that on my next trip to make I know how in a pinch. Now I will just unplug the battery and give it a test.

So does this mean that if my battery is dead and no juice is coming from the truck, that my slide is not locked in any way and could potentially move during transit? Thats kind of scary....

Thanks

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
this is very helpful. I read the instructions with my kitchen slide that say to unplug the motors and I was going to do that on my next trip to make I know how in a pinch. Now I will just unplug the battery and give it a test.

So does this mean that if my battery is dead and no juice is coming from the truck, that my slide is not locked in any way and could potentially move during transit? Thats kind of scary....

Thanks
That's exactly what it means. You would have to use a wooden block on the inside of the camper to block the slide from moving out. It is shown in one of the videos on YouTube.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #6

The Lippert customer service tech said that manually moving the slide out (12'9") would be extremely difficult if just the power was disconnected. That is why he recommends removing the set screw and lifting the motors away from the drive gears. Locating the set screws behind the rubber molding that is weather sealed is my dilemma. Thanks all for your replies and links.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

I called Forest River today ref manual slide override on my 6504 Vibe.They emailed the instruction sheet in less than 2 minutes.It also refers you to YouTube.Look under Schwintek in wall slide system.It answered my questions.
geo m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Just out of curiosity I tried to move mine with the battery disconnected. It would barely budge. I then did as the manual said and disconnected from the motor controller....it would move but not easily. Definitely a two person job but it's not too bad. It seems the motor brake must not rely on battery power to opererate (maybe some kind of magnetic thing that just needs a closed loop ) which would make sense....wouldn't want a slide coming open if the battery died going down the road.

Really...the only reason you'd want to pull the set screw would be if a motor froze up and you couldn't move it any other way.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

Where is the motor controller located on the 6504?
Old 03-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #10

The whole idea of lifting the motors away from the drive gears is to make it easy to move the slide out. I have been successful in pulling the rubber molding away from one edge which has exposed a small screw at the very top of the slide out--unlike the video which says the screw is 2" above the rail. However once the set screw is removed from the outside of the slide out, there is no way that you can get access to the motors on the inside because the slide out is tight against the inner wall, thus making it impossible to get at the motors behind the rubber molding!! You would have to move the slide out in (some how) a little in order to get at the motors from the inside. Now reassembling the motors with the set screws would definitely be a two person job. God help you if you're alone. Seems to me it could have been a better designed system.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 AM   #11

Hi geo m. The control box on my Grey Wolf 28BH is under the hide-a-bed. Not really easily accessible.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #12

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question. We disconnected the motors this morning and we were able to push the slide in, it was not easy, but we were able to move it. We would not have know how to even begin this process if it were not for y'all. Many thanks.
nm2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #13

I just found the Slideout control panel on my 6504 vibe.It is located under the carpeted step at the queen bed.Four screws located in carpet on top of step.This has been a great thread!Thank you Biker2!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #14

By the way,would'd it be nice if the operators manuals were not so generic.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #15

Hi nm2322. Can you please provide details on how you disconnected the motors; ie. did you remove the set screws on the outside of the slide out and then how did you get access to the motors on the inside of the trailer with the slide out tight against the rubber molding?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #16

Behind the bottom board that travels out with the slide-out was a "Dual Motor Synchronous Velocity Slide Controller" module. (Part # 13398-C2) We unplugged the motors from the module which allowed us to move the slide-out. It is very hard to move and you had to be careful no move it in evenly. Our controller module was bad, we replaced it and now our slide is working as it should.
nm2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
10x

Interesting
Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #18

Last year I lost all DC power in my XLR (from a shorted wire but that's another story). Nothing DC would work regardless of what I did as the DC bus was shorting out. I couldn't get a dealer to send a repairman as I was in the boonies so I had to bring all 3 of my slides in manually.

Only one of my slides was a Schwintek and luckily, it was the smallest bedroom slide. I had to cut the silicone sealant and pull the rubber boot down from the outside on both sides of the slide to expose the set screw. Then I remove both set screws and used a slot screwdriver to gently raise the motor a half inch or so. AT THIS POINT, TRY TO PUT BOTH SET SCREWS BACK IN. You want to hold that motor in place. When done on both sides, the slide could be pushed in easily.

Once the slide was in, use something to wedge it in as it can freely come back out again. I was able to put a block of wood on top of the slide from the inside.

The rest of the story for us: The dealer fixed the short (factory defect), but when he extended the Schwintek, I had not put the set screw back in and the motor on one side slipped off and was destroyed. The dealer replaced that motor and we were back in business!

Good luck!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #19

OK. I'm assuming that the motors are visible from the outside once the rubber boot is removed. However the video shows that you access the motors on the "inside" of the trailer. How complicated can things get?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #20

I believe in order to take the motors out, it has to be done from the inside. With the slide out you couldn't access it anyway due to the molding on the inside. From the outside you can't really see much of the motor...just enough to push them out of the way and reinstall the screw to hold them up. From the inside, the motor supports are much more open. You'd normally only want to get at the motors from inside if you were messing with wiring or replacing them.

Tags
slide, slide out