Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Schwintek Slide-out Motor Replacement Long Post

I have a 2012 FR Forester with two slides, one of which is a bedroom wall slide. This thing has given me fits since I've owned it. The motors would scream when operating; it would get off balance from side to side, it wouldn't move at times; it was so unreliable. Enough!

I called a local RV dealer here in town to get an estimate to replace the motors....$1,000. Uh I don't think so.

So I called Camping World and they wanted $265 EACH just for the motors. Uh I don't think so.

So I found Lippert brand motors exactly like the ones removed, online for $142 each and installed them myself. It's not that hard at all.

I moved the BR slide out halfway, which gave good access to the inside and outside.

Pull back the weatherstripping on the outside at the top and there is a screw near the top that locks the motors into place. Remove the screw.

If the motors have been in a while (like mine) they won't simply lift out like the YouTube video shows. I pried up a bit from the bottom and they popped up and out of the coupler.

Inside, pull back both sets of weather stripping to reveal the motors and disconnect the wire plug.

Push the motor up the rest of the way from the coupler and remove.

Install the new motor, paying particular attention to the small hole that the set screw goes into from the outside. This needs to be pointing outward.
I made a pencil mark exactly 180 degrees to use as reference to position the new motors.

Slide new motor down into the coupler. Now here's the important part.

IF you haven't moved the slide, they should drop back into the same position. If the slide did move, you will need to hold the motor so that the setscrew hole is facing outward and move one side of the slide (slightly) back & forth. This will align the D shaped motor shaft to the coupler. Once that is done, the motor will drop into position.

Here's the second important part. Go back outside and use an awl or pointed tool to ensure that the set screw hole in the motor is aligned with the setscrew hole on the outside of the coach. If it is, put set screw back to secure the motor in place. If not, turn the motor slightly back and fourth until the awl falls into the hole. Replace the setscrews.

Once you do this on both sides, reconnect the motor wires, reinstall the weatherstripping, and cycle motors.

You will need to cycle them closed, then open about 6 inches, then closed again. Do this 3-4 times. Same thing on the open cycle. This establishes a zero position for the controller.

So, for less than $300, I replaced what the dealer wanted over $1000, AND they are so smooth and quiet!!

Next is carpet replacement, which I had a quote to do for $1600. Uh I don't think so
__________________

__________________
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach428 View Post
I have a 2012 FR Forester with two slides, one of which is a bedroom wall slide. This thing has given me fits since I've owned it. The motors would scream when operating; it would get off balance from side to side, it wouldn't move at times; it was so unreliable. Enough!

I called a local RV dealer here in town to get an estimate to replace the motors....$1,000. Uh I don't think so.

So I called Camping World and they wanted $265 EACH just for the motors. Uh I don't think so.

So I found Lippert brand motors exactly like the ones removed, online for $142 each and installed them myself. It's not that hard at all.

I moved the BR slide out halfway, which gave good access to the inside and outside.

Pull back the weatherstripping on the outside at the top and there is a screw near the top that locks the motors into place. Remove the screw.

If the motors have been in a while (like mine) they won't simply lift out like the YouTube video shows. I pried up a bit from the bottom and they popped up and out of the coupler.

Inside, pull back both sets of weather stripping to reveal the motors and disconnect the wire plug.

Push the motor up the rest of the way from the coupler and remove.

Install the new motor, paying particular attention to the small hole that the set screw goes into from the outside. This needs to be pointing outward.
I made a pencil mark exactly 180 degrees to use as reference to position the new motors.

Slide new motor down into the coupler. Now here's the important part.

IF you haven't moved the slide, they should drop back into the same position. If the slide did move, you will need to hold the motor so that the set screw hole is facing outward and move one side of the slide (slightly) back & forth. This will align the D shaped motor shaft the the coupler. Once that is done, the motor will drop into position.

Here's the second important part. Go back outside and use an awl or pointed tool to ensure that the set screw hole in the motor is aligned with the set screw hole on the outside of the coach. If it is, put set screw back to secure the motor in place. If not, turn the motor slightly back and fourth until the awl falls into the hole.

Once you do this on both sides, reconnect the motor wires, reinstall the weatherstripping, and cycle motors.

You will need to cycle them closed, then open about 6 inches, then closed again. Do this 3-4 times. Same thing on the open cycle. This establishes a zero position for the controller.

So, for less than $300, I replaced what the dealer wanted over $1000, AND they are so smooth and quiet!!

Next is carpet replacement, which I had a quote to do for $1600. Uh I don't think so

Thanks for the info. Why did you replace both motors? Did they both die at same time?
__________________

__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
I replaced both because they both were screaming. Also, they have both ran an equal amount of time and I didn't want to replace one only to have the other fail
__________________
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,156
Now, lube them regularly- I try to do mine about every 2 months can tell a marked improvement when I forget.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,953
Maybe you have this info already, but if not, here it is.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
Novice Travel Trailer Guy
 
benchmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Now, lube them regularly- I try to do mine about every 2 months can tell a marked improvement when I forget.


How does one know if you should lube the motor? I have read there are some you do and donít. Is this true? My thought is if it moves lubricate, but on the flip side heard that this can also attract dirt and create the problems. Dunno.
__________________


2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
benchmarks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,156
Schwintek Slide-out Motor Replacement Long Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
How does one know if you should lube the motor? I have read there are some you do and donít. Is this true? My thought is if it moves lubricate, but on the flip side heard that this can also attract dirt and create the problems. Dunno.

Lippert has videos on YouTube for how to do it and even recommends specific lube. IMO, it should be done (and I absolutely can tell you they work better after lubing).

I also lube the carp out of the rollers under the slides. I want to keep them rolling nicely.

At my last full slide replacement repair (4th in 4 years), I had the repair shop add aluminum runners to the bottom of my slide. As the slide failed each time, it dug more and more into the under side of the slide and gouged the wood.

Gouges:
https://flic.kr/p/LBrzWR
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
Novice Travel Trailer Guy
 
benchmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Lippert has videos on YouTube for how to do it and even recommends specific lube. IMO, it should be done (and I absolutely can tell you they work better after lubing).

I also lube the carp out of the rollers under the slides. I want to keep them rolling nicely.

At my last full slide replacement repair (4th in 4 years), I had the repair shop add aluminum runners to the bottom of my slide. As the slide failed each time, it dug more and more into the under side of the slide and gouged the wood.

Gouges:
https://flic.kr/p/LBrzWR


Thanks. Could it have been that damage was due to something that got stuck underneath and continuously kept dragging? Is a ďfull slide replacement repairĒ a common ordeal on slide outs?
__________________


2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
benchmarks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Thanks. Could it have been that damage was due to something that got stuck underneath and continuously kept dragging? Is a ďfull slide replacement repairĒ a common ordeal on slide outs?

No- each time it was almost like the slide track or slide out itself shifted and made it drag on the roller. It happened almost yearly, so it didnít seem like anything we were specifically doing.

The Schwinteks are funny. I think design/theory-wise, theyíre a decent system but require a fairly precise install. As we all know, these manufacturers are anything but. For instance, my motors are so tight that it takes me hours to remove them and Iíve always just paid someone to reinstall them.

And when the motor does start significantly slipping, it starts to damage the rack (the set of tracks mounted to the slide wall). These are about $1,500 for a slide and take 3 weeks to get from Lippert. I actually drove to a Lippert factory in Indiana to pick mine up to save a week of shipping time. Ironically, my buddy needed the exact same thing and I picked his up at the same time.

IMO, Schwintek slides are problematic. Iíll avoid them in the future if I can.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:43 PM   #10
Novice Travel Trailer Guy
 
benchmarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 417
Bummer. Thanks for the insight.
__________________

__________________


2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT
benchmarks is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide, replacement

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.