Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #1

schwintek slide outs issues and info / split thread

I know repairs will be made and we will be fat dumb and happy down the road in no time.
I have a couple questions:
Does anyone know man hours to replace motor slide on 3051S
Can slide out pantry retrofit be done at Goshen rally
Is double recliner option in place of dinette available, if so can be done at rally.
My dealer was saying 2-3 weeks for motor replacement depending on FR, which could be bad be a use in 24 days my 3051S is going to be our home, and if still at dealer we will be sleeping on sidewalk.
USNMM1VETERAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNMM1VETERAN View Post
I know repairs will be made and we will be fat dumb and happy down the road in no time.
I have a couple questions:
Does anyone know man hours to replace motor slide on 3051S
Can slide out pantry retrofit be done at Goshen rally
Is double recliner option in place of dinette available, if so can be done at rally.
My dealer was saying 2-3 weeks for motor replacement depending on FR, which could be bad be a use in 24 days my 3051S is going to be our home, and if still at dealer we will be sleeping on sidewalk.
Do you know who made your slide? Lippert or Dexter or someone else?

If it is a Lippert like mine, it should be a DIY job about 15 minutes after you drop the belly panel (20-30 screws) and the rear stabilizers (4 bolts).

If you're flexible and slide up the belly covering, you don't even need to take it all off (even the stabilizers can stay).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 024.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	56584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 023.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	56585  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #3

Well my manual says lipped but when on the phone with dealer trying to get it in the said another brand, can not remember brand but know it started with an S. An my back is all fused together so flexible diy projects are out.
E
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Well my manual says lipped but when on the phone with dealer trying to get it in the said another brand, can not remember brand but know it started with an S.
E
does it look like this on the slide?? if yes it is a 1/2 hr job to replace motors

http://www.lci1.com/schwintek-in-wall-slideout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scwhintek_application_2_Optimized.png
Views:	190
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	56607  

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #5

Yep I have 2 rails on both ends, an upper and and a lower. I am guessing there are 2 motors a front and rear and through a set of gears each motor drives both rails
Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

This is the confusing part the manual I have says it is a Leppert but the dealer says it is a schwintek, looks just like the picture. Why would the manual have the wrong motor and wrong troubleshooting guide. Is there a way to get a manual for the schwintek setup?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
This is the confusing part the manual I have says it is a Leppert but the dealer says it is a schwintek, looks just like the picture. Why would the manual have the wrong motor and wrong troubleshooting guide. Is there a way to get a manual for the schwintek setup?

and google is your friend

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #8

Ok so schwintek is a division of Lippert, got that straight, now what rail system is in the manual?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #9

Jevanb, GREAT VIDEO LOVE IT. Now I understand the mechanics behind it. What a simple system my first thought was how they over came the different torque on the upper and lower gear. You would think that with most of the weight of the slide down low that it would tend to have to work harder but I guess that aluminum extruder distributes the startup torque and and nullifies it. If not I would expect to a lot of motor problems and stripped gears problems.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Looks easy enough......Check out this thread I was following awhile ago. It can be a pain in the butt.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post614797

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Looks easy enough......Check out this thread I was following awhile ago. It can be a pain in the butt.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post614797
That's interesting post. I have a 2014 and I have the Schwintek slide on my bunk/bedroom slide. One time when bringing the slide in, one side got hung up on something my son left on the floor in the path of the slide. Now the ends of the slide were off timing - one side closer in than the other. Not knowing what to do and we were leaving from camping headed back home - I simply powered down the controller and pushed the slide in. I did worry about the slide working back out so I used the "blocks" that FR supplied.
One I got home I researched the controller and figured the powering down already reset the fault. So I powered back up, ran it in/out 3 times and never had a problem since. Now my top of the slide closes in tighter than the bottom but the dealer told me this is normal as the to and bottom track its "timed" within the frame.
Point is - even though I have a 2014 my slide was able to be pushed in or out with the motors still in the the assembly.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #12

For future failure with people with the schwintek, removing motor wires from controller will enable you to push in slide. Then reattach motor wires and slide will stay in. this worked with a code of 7 flashes, shorted wiring or motor, so should work with other electrical issues and possibly mechanical since having motors energized keeps them in either full extend or retract.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
For future failure with people with the schwintek, removing motor wires from controller will enable you to push in slide. Then reattach motor wires and slide will stay in. this worked with a code of 7 flashes, shorted wiring or motor, so should work with other electrical issues and possibly mechanical since having motors energized keeps them in either full extend or retract.
Did you actually push yours in/out using this method? If so your the first. Everything I've read on other sites say its impossible to move without disengaging motors unless its a very small lite weight slide. Curious, what size is your slide? Also, does this mean if your battery is dead or becomes disconnected somehow... the slide will fall out in a sharp curve if not energized?
Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #14

Tks this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Tks this thread!

Tks? Sorry?? Wtf!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF1945 View Post
Did you actually push yours in/out using this method? If so your the first. Everything I've read on other sites say its impossible to move without disengaging motors unless its a very small lite weight slide. Curious, what size is your slide? Also, does this mean if your battery is dead or becomes disconnected somehow... the slide will fall out in a sharp curve if not energized?
Thanks
I can confirm. I did with the schwintek on our bunk/bedroom slide (3171). It wasn't that bad even though it is a long slide.

http://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0260.pdf
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF1945 View Post
Tks? Sorry?? Wtf!

Good library info, they all break, more info the better.....

Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
I can confirm. I did with the schwintek on our bunk/bedroom slide (3171). It wasn't that bad even though it is a long slide.

http://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0260.pdf
Thanks bgilly, almost makes me want to disconnect mine on my toy hauler to see if it works for me. My slide is 9' long 36" deep and has 3 recliners stationed in it.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #19

Okay just out of curiosity I got up this morning stretched out, few push-ups (2) jumping jacks (1 1/2) getting ready for a mission. I disconnected both motors on my living slide as stated earlier, 9' × 36" deep and tried to push it closed. Boy was I surprised

It didn't move a fraction either side. What did I do wrong? I'm not the strongest guy in town but not the weakest either... thought it would have moved some or had a little play in it. NOT.

Thoughts
Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #20

May need help not long but heavy- must stay aligned.