Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #41

Truly sorry but I would never profess to be as smart as an aircraft mechanic. Actually, if I had not tried everything suggested by Lippert tech when I had the pleasure of speaking to their more knowledgeable people, and if I didn't have decades of experience with similar problems, I would defer to anyone in whom I could feel assured demonstrated an obvious understanding of the mechanics of these devices, if such a person made an intelligent observation of the situation and made a plausible suggestion. The hole will never be seen after the trim piece that I removed from the mitered corner of the alum. trim to drill it is reattached. I will put a plug in the hole just for grins and thanks for that offer of same from jevanb, but I keep some on hand in my business as a custom metal fabricator also. Rest assured, all recommended procedures were either performed as suggested by factory or summarily rejected if they obviously did not apply. As for "walking it out" I am including a pic of the body shop rod jack I used to move the slide out to a point where weight distribution was more favorable and it was all it could do to budge it using a 12" handle, AFTClick image for larger version

Name:	100_1302.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	588.2 KB
ID:	58877ER disengaging motor brakes and even after releasing motors from couplers.
Fasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #42

Update on Schwintek slide.

Finally got the new motor installed and everything back together. I never did get anyone from Lippert or Forest River to answer my question of how to get the motor released when slide is disabled in the "IN" position. Woops! That's possible? As for advice from dealer, I was told by service mgr. that Forest River doesn't provide service manuals for repairs of this type and in the shop they just have to start trying to disassemble carefully to investigate a problem. I am currently waiting for factory customer support to tell me if they have locations of wall studs,frame members, etc. so I can tell where to mount a couple of light shelves in the garage area. I really don't expect a useable response since they seem to be detached from their customer base after the dealer gets one sold. I would like to let someone there know about the problem of set screw accessibility but no one at factory seems to want to be enlightened by a mere "consumer". I even had to remove the top and right facia from the slide to gain access to the problem motor since my arms won't fit through a 1-1/2 " space. That means I had to use camouflage for the screws to re-attach them as the fasteners they use get covered by the glued center strip. Slide works better than ever with lube even tho it's not suggested anywhere but a Winnebago Schwintek video I noticed on the same you tube page as the ones for F. R. videos. If anyone needs answers I might be able to provide about this, I'll be glad to help any way I can. Wasn't looking for the experience but have it now.
Fasteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide