Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Schwintek slides

Hi, don't own a Forestriver product but am interested in some of their 5th wheels. Just wondering if Forestriver is using the new Schwintek slide mechanism? I've been reading over on the RV.net site and some guys are having trouble with it. It's a new product and may have some teething problems, but some of the problems are taking weeks to fix by dealers.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

They use it on my bedroom slide on my Columbus 320RS.
The standard mounting frame uses screws placed about 6" apart on the outside of the trailer. Columbus added a screw between the factory ones so now they're placed about 3" apart on my frame. Works well, so far.
Don't know what they're doing on the production line, but I imagine they would go with what works best.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #3

All is well with my 2011 270ret Crusader. I have the Schwintek on two of my three slides. Have not yet had a problem.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #4

I have a Schwintek slide. It has had problems since I bought it. They are replacing a motor now. I don't have much confidence in it. It struggles to go out and takes several attempts to get it out. I think there is a problem with the controller because it doesn't synchronize when going out. Very frustrating now that my warranty is running out.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #5

Am having a problem with my bedroom slide as we speak. It is a 2012 Sabre with the schwintek, the slide goes a little over half way out then it goes sideways, you can push on it and it will reengage and go back in. I have an appointment Jan 3 to get it worked on, they think it is the motor.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Here's an odd fact.......some of the Columbus have Schwintek in the bedrooms, and some don't.

Our most recent in stock units do not have them, they have the actuators and rollers.

Don't know if its a running change or an experiment......

Might be a good question for Chris Columbus.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS0816 View Post
Am having a problem with my bedroom slide as we speak. It is a 2012 Sabre with the schwintek, the slide goes a little over half way out then it goes sideways, you can push on it and it will reengage and go back in. I have an appointment Jan 3 to get it worked on, they think it is the motor.
You may have a loose wire for one of the drive motors. You will have to locate the Circuit
board for the Schwintek system. Check each connection point on the curuit board. I had the same problem with mine. Only one side of the slide was working, causing the slide to come in sideways. The wire came loose most likely from the road bounce. My curcuit board was under the stove drawer. The curcuit board was mounted to the floor of the trailer. I reattached the wire and all was well.
http://www.primetimerv.com/default.a...ideo=schwintek
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
You may have a loose wire for one of the drive motors. You will have to locate the Circuit
board for the Schwintek system. Check each connection point on the curuit board. I had the same problem with mine. Only one side of the slide was working, causing the slide to come in sideways. The wire came loose most likely from the road bounce. My curcuit board was under the stove drawer. The curcuit board was mounted to the floor of the trailer. I reattached the wire and all was well.
Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
Thanks for the info...But it still under warranty and I am going to have them take care of it and a few other minor problems. I will keep the info for future problems if it ever arises again.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #9

Forward slide will move only a few inches at a time during extend or retract. I took it to a repair facility and they have informed me that the rollers on the bottom are coming out, thus dropping the slide down and causing it to jam up. When the rollers were installed they were installed improperly and the screws are pulling out. Bought in august 2011. Since I have owned this trailer I have had the roof replaced, front repaired for water leak, new tires put on it when it failed safety inspection for rotted tires, I am getting discouraged. Sorry about the rant, does anybody else been having slide problems or is this a isolated event?
Davie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

This past Sept we bought our new trailer, days before we picked up they replaced the controller, on our walk thru the master failed to open correctly, took a week to get higher amp motors installed, been ok since.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #11

Yes the slide, I just got my trailer back after 4 months in the shop fixing the slide. They replaced 9 motors, new harness and the latest controller. They had over 40
billable hours to Jayco and I think the company that bought Schwintek payed for it all. It surprised me because on the Schwintek website they mentioned the new controller does not work with the old motors. Just glad I didn't have to pay the bill.
It does seem to work fine now and am happy to have the latest version of their equipment.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

We have a Salem Himsphere. The main slide that has a Schwintek type has not worked properley since we owned it. It is in for service right now. It seems to get out of sync. I will half to jog it back and forth in and out. Some times I need to push one side in to make it go in straight. The dealer has had it for 2 weeks to repair it again. I am very disipointed in our new camper. So far a leak in the roof, Replaced refridge, Jensen dvd player has been replaced, I some times wish I would have kept my old motor home.
rrcomand is offline   Reply With Quote