Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Sealant Tape Bubbles on Slide Roof

I was doing a roof inspection and saw air bubbles in the Eternabond tape on the slide roof. There doesn’t appear to be any leakage. I’m wondering if this is a cause for concern, and if so, how to repair this. The tape seems to be well adhered in most places. The photo shows the bubbles after I pushed them down with my fingers. The tape extends to that dirty looking line that looks smudged. Any ideas on what to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	772B7C97-0898-4FFB-BEFD-25B8E6442403.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	167084  

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #2

Wow, that looks almost exactly like the outer edge on top of my slide. I noticed the tape on mine looked that way three days after purchasing new. Being as the selling dealer is 90 miles away I called the service department, talked to a lady who actually knew what I was talking about, she asked for photos of the area in question. They looked just like the photo "spudston" posted. She called back later and assured me that the tape came that way from the factory and that she had personally (I wonder) went out to look at a couple of new units sitting on the lot then stated that they were all that way. I have two slide like this and I keep an eye on the area. I do a close inspection to assure that there is no leakage. IF, and only IF, I ever see any other problem with this tape I will rip it all off, clean all surfaces thoroughly, and apply the tape myself.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Thurman. I would rip it off too but it's really a pita to do. Plus my experience with Eternabond is that it usually tents over screwheads like that so new tape may look exactly the same way. I called a local RV repair shop and they say there should be sealant there instead so I'm not too impressed with their knowledge in the subject. Maybe I'll do like you suggest and keep an eye on it over the summer. If it's not leaking I guess it's good.
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, seal, slide