Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Shamrock 233s Slide has trouble starting

Hello! New to the world of power slideouts, having just acquired our 2011 Shamrock 233S. When I press the button to extend, it does not budge - just makes the racheting noise. I have to give it a little push to start moving, then will travel all the way out. Same thing on retract, although it's more difficult - I need a helper to press the button while I push in from the outside. Once again, once moving, it will continue all the way. Suggestions? I've searched through tons of posts here regarding slideouts, but no one seems to have this particular problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide!

Brody
2014 Chevy Express 3500
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Site Team

we had a similar problem with our 23SS's slideout.

came to find out that because we didn't have a slide topper installed, camping in the woods allowed pine sap, debris and other woodsy stuff, to get on the slideout seals and act like a glue to the side of the trailer.
i had to get a butter knife and use it to pry the seals away from the trailer's side, from the inside and outside.

if you don't have a slide topper, get one and then clean off the slideout seals and the side of the trailer that they press against.
since we got the topper installed, we've never had this issue again.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Dan. I do have the slide topper, but will try cleaning and waxing the slide. Also saw somewhere on youtube a recommendation to spray the seals with silicone to protect them - might lubricate them as well? I'll give it a shot and report back.
2014 Chevy Express 3500
Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Always Learning

Problem is, it sounds like it has trouble starting when it's fully out, too.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Try to spray some dry lube on it, such as white lithium grease spray your spocket and rails all four sides with a good coating, but it has to be dry not like wd40. Run it in and out about 4 times and your problem will be over.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Try to spray some dry lube on it, such as white lithium grease spray your spocket and rails all four sides with a good coating, but it has to be dry not like wd40. Run it in and out about 4 times and your problem will be over.
Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up a can of white lithium grease, and sprayed the sprocket and rail thoroughly. Runs like a dream now!

Brody
2014 Chevy Express 3500

Tags
233, 233s, shamrock, slide