Old 08-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Question Should we replace both motors?

We have a 2012 grey wolf 28bh. When I went to close the slide last week it wouldn't go all the way in one side was in more than the other. We took it to the dealer and there are 2 motors one for each side and 1 is gone. My question is......will the other one go soon too, or is it anybody's guess, should we have both done at the same time? This is not an easy job and it may save us some money and aggravation down the road.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #2

No ideas?

Does no one have any experience with this. I would love some input.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

I haven't experienced this "pleasure" yet. In my way of thinking, have both motors replaced at the same time. The "good" motor has been operating as much as the "bad" motor. A chain is as strong as it's weakest link. Save the "good" motor as a backup spare. But cost would be the main item to consider (1 motor vs 2 motors). This is solely my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of my boss (the wife).

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

Should we replace both motors?

If both sides went in and it it just that one did not go all the way in the motor sounds like it is OK. Did you try to resync the motors. There is a video on the lippert site. Were there any errors on the controller?

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

why did the one motor go 'bad'....? Was there some kind of binding on that side of the slide to put more stress on that motor.Is there a side to side binding or binding from the top to bottom? Your 'good' motor may never go 'out' and the one that just 'went bad' may go 'bad' in a short time again because you never 'fixed' the reason that it went 'bad' to begin with. Replace the 'bad' one and keep it and see how it works outside of the wall, it may be 'weak' but still good. Adjust the slide and make sure that it goes in and out smoothly. my 'main' slide seems to bind all of the time and it has been 'adjusted' 5-6 times and I 'still' need someone to gentle push the slide in and out for it to go smoothly.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
I haven't experienced this "pleasure" yet. In my way of thinking, have both motors replaced at the same time. The "good" motor has been operating as much as the "bad" motor. A chain is as strong as it's weakest link. Save the "good" motor as a backup spare. But cost would be the main item to consider (1 motor vs 2 motors). This is solely my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of my boss (the wife).

Bob
X2
Blue-Ox Sway Pro WDH
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #7

Ok

I talked to the guy fixing it and he had already checked out the other motor he was one step ahead of me, he says it's fine he wouldn't replace it.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #8

No hand cranking

We're all fixed and little lighter in the pockets.

I have a question still.....they say there is no way to do our slide by hand if we have a problem again, the motors are in the wall, he had to take it apart to get at them. Anyone else ever had that?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post
We're all fixed and little lighter in the pockets.

I have a question still.....they say there is no way to do our slide by hand if we have a problem again, the motors are in the wall, he had to take it apart to get at them. Anyone else ever had that?
some time or another 'everyone' will 'have this' of a motor going out. My unit is at a repair place right now getting beefier motors and both rail assembly's replaced. I have had 'motor' problems on my big slide from day one. Dealer has tinkered with it for the last three years. Final solution was to push the slide in and out by hand. two people pushing and one on the button. Have not worked out all the details yet, but the motors and assembly is to sub par to move the slide easily in and out.

If the slide is in and the motors do not work right. all power to the unit must be disconnected and then the slide is pushed in or out by hand.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #10

Should we replace both motors?

Go on line and look at the videos and read the owners manuals. If the slide is out you have to disconnect the motors in the wall (one screw and you lift them out) it is best to look at the video and then locate them on your unit so if the slide won't go in you know what to do. Les has a different slide mechanism just removing the power will not work on your slide. The motors on the schwintek slides are computer controlled. You need to know were the controller is because it will give you error codes to help you trouble shoot the problem. There is also a way to override the controller. It sounds like the tech you have working on it is not very familiar with the schwintek.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote