Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #1

slide backing a tad

It's me Again!
I have a slide on the left side, the big one that works on hydraulic. it doesn't seem to want to stay all the way in. the top of it is almost closed and the bottom is about an inch out. This is just the back side. I know I ran it all the way in. I thought they were suppsed to stay in place. is there a lock or something? All was was able to get from Forest River was a General Class A manual. nothing specific to the one I have. Does this one need some adjustment, and if so where. Oh yea, It did seem to be about a quart short so I added 1 yesterday.

Name:   side.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  48.3 KB

Old 03-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #2

I am not sure on your particular unit but there should be some sort of an adjustment to pull the slide in closer - this is one thing I would leave to the pro's though unless you have seen it done or done first hand - if you decide to adjust - do it small turns cause you dont want to mess things up. Just my .02 and will probably get someone else to chime in with a diffrent opinion.

My parents have a 40" Holiday Rambler endeavor and it has bolts you adjust on the underside of the slide - never tried adjusting and not exactly sure what it would take to adjust but I know it is there

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #3

how old is this trailer?
i have seen a procedure or a video on adjusting the slides but it may take me a couple of days before i can find it. it wouldn't be for this trailer but it should give u an idea.
i will have to look at mine and see if the top of the trailer hits first as it comes in. i'm thinking that once it rises up over the floor (to come in), it all strikes together. i don't know if adjusting the large bolt between the slide out and the hydrolic ram will take care of that.
i'll look on another computer and see if i can find it. i'm not able to find it on this one. i have never made this adjustment.
if ur hydrolic fluid was low, try running it in an out a couple of times and see if there may be air in the system. if so, u may be able to work it out and all would work ok. the other thing would be to look at the large bolt that pushes the slide out and see if one of the nuts backed off (not likely but it is worth a look). if u have a hydrolic leak, u should see some of the oil on the bottom enclosure. mine has had a small leak on it almost from day one. fittings were replaced 5 yrs ago that stopped the leak but they are back now. i have to add a cup every yr or so. not worth the effort to chase it for that amt.
when u add, i'm not sure if the slides are to be in or out. which ever it is, if u overfill the oil will run out of the resivor when move the slide. i'm going to take a guess and say the slides should be in when u fill. there would be more oil needed to push it out than in.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

this is a 2004 Georgetown Class A Motorhome. I made sure I ran it in all the way. and it backed out a bit on one side as in the picture. I'm going back out the evneing to rerun it in tight. and the wait I guess. Thanks for the help. the more I learn the better off I will be when I tackle it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #5

I just checked, that side is riding on the carpet some. It seems to be down about a half an inch. Well, the trim on the outside is down about a half an inch maybe that doesn'y mean anything.. I looked, but I don't see a way to get to the adjustments. I'm going to do this and when I do I'll take a few pictures to post after I get it figured out for myself!
When I ran it in, the floor of it picked up a little in the closed position.I don't know if that is normal or what. This is the first Coach I've had that had slides.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

it seems like mine tends to do the same thing when it is in (the slide out floor tends to rise a little when it pulls all the way in).
before u make any adjustments on the slide, try running it all the way out and all the way in a couple of times and see if it improves.
i will make it clear that i don't know anything abt them but it sounds like hydrolic system has air in it. another thought is that the hydrolic is leaking back thru the control valves (don't know if the system depends of pressure to hold the slide in or not).
one time, as soon as possible, listen to the near the hydrolic pump and see if u can hear pressure bleeding off.
try and exhaust all possibilities before changing any of the adjustments on the slide out. i'm thinking that the ram isn't likely to get out of adjustment.
when u said u added hydrolic oil, that raised a flag.
i haven't found the video yet; i'm thinking it may be abt 250 miles south of me on another computer.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #7

well, guess what, someone else has the manuel posted on another thread.
try this.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-11137.html
Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #8

I just checked, the slide is in where it is supoposed to be. It hasn't moved in 24 hours. It was a quart short on fluid. so maybe that was it. I still have the slide rubbing on carpet on the back track. the front one runs in and out just above the carpet just fine. That's still telling me that an adjustment is in order.