Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Slide Cable Replacement

I was out doing some maintenance on my Berkshire 390bh when I looked up at the wardrobe/bunk slide out and noticed that the top front cable was broken. I emailed Forest River and they referred me to the cable maker (NORCO) whose customer service rep (yeah, right) said that the cables have no warranty at all. I then emailed the Forest River warranty rep and he said that they wouldn't consider this a warranty item so I had to pay for a cable repair kit which I ordered.

My question is, has anyone replaced a cable on their slide? If so, is it a big job? I think that the slide mechanism is behind the trim that is around the inside of the slide out. If so, how is that trim removed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #2

Yikes!
How could a broken cable in a new $150,000+ motorhome under warranty not be considered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty?
I want to buy a 390BH but would go ballistic if I was nickel-and-dimed on the warranty.
7kidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #3

Tom,

Click here and scroll down to page 9 (Cable Replacement).

You'll need a cable repair/replacement kit # 23305.

Also, wathch the " Cable Replacement Video"

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

They make it sound real easy in the write up. They also have a video on their website showing how to replace the cable but it is on a coach that is not finished inside and the mechanism is not enclosed in any way. It took me about 9 hours to try to get the cable around the pulley that is inside. I have bunk beds over which the cable system is installed. I was working through an opening that is approx. 10" wide and the length of the bunk. I could barely get my head and arm into the area. Trying to get the cable around the pulley was impossible so I had to devise a leader made up of a drinking straw and nylon sleeve that they provide. Once that was accomplished, I could finish the install. I am waiting to see if I can find a cable cutter somewhere to cut off the excess. I didn't have a crimper so I bought a cable clamp to use. Hopefully this won't happen again!!! The cable cutter and crimper are 2 tools which are required. I don't know of very many who will have these readily available.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote