Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
bakken, you are correct as soon as you hear that it is in all the way in and let off the switch, or you will wear it out.....
Thanks for the confirmation. My garage door opener made a similar sound, just before it chewed itself to shreds!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

I think there are different types. Some don't have clutches in which case any clicking noise is bad. But I believe this one has a built in clutch which means that it doesn't "stop" when the slider gets to the end of the run. Instead the clutch clicks a couple of times before you can let go of the button.

Even with a clutch I know you don't want to grind the clutch away, but there is no way to get the slider to the end without a few clicks of the clutch. Even the technician at the dealership clicked the clutch a few times on this one when he was showing us how to use the slider. So either it has a clutch or the mechanism was in a sad state when we picked it up a couple months ago :-).

Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #13

Well, I extended the bed out and then tried to use the manual override to crank it in or out a little more. It's REALLY hard to move. It seems like something must be wrong or they never really intended the manual to work. I can almost make it move in, but I'm putting so much torque on the system it looks like I'm going to rip the motor out of the wall (where it is just screwed in with a couple of screws - not very secure). It really seems like something must be wrong, but it seems fully aligned. Maybe the mechanism is allowing it to sag too much which means when it's coming in it's not just sliding the heavy room but pulling it up hill as well.

There are only two places within an hour drive of my house that do RV repair and one place have had issues with previously. I called the place I wanted to take it but they are booked out for weeks and I have a couple of other trips planned still. So I think I'll have to wait until after the camping season to leave it with them for extended periods.

I guess I'll just have a head rush and keep pushing on the slider to get it working for a while.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #14

If you can see a bar with teeth in it, try and lub that with can of white greese spray type and also spray the wheel gears that it go's through try that.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #15

This setup has two U-shaped bars which support each side of the bed. Each bar has 2 paris of metal wheels which are located in the cabinet at the foot of the bed spaced so the bars are forced to stay mostly horizontal. There is a little play in these because the bed extends 5' or so but the wheel pairs or only 6-8" appart, so the end of the bed probably drops 3-4" or so unless the mechanism is fully extended so that the upper frame of the bed pushes against the frame in the trailer enough to force it to be more "level".

In the middle of each of these "U" shaped tracks there is a toothed piece that is moved by a gear located between the wheel pairs and joined with a long shaft back to the middle of the cabinet where there is a motor and gear box. (one of the links I put in above has a great diagram of this)

I've considered adding lube to this whole assembly, but it really didn't seem like it would make much difference. Metal rollowing wheels against the metal "U" shaped bars shouldn't add much in the way of friction. The gear connection shouldn't have much friction either. The instruction manual specifically states to not add lubrication and I assume that is because dirt and crud will stick to the lube and wear things out faster. It's currently very clean and I can't see why it would be so difficult to move other than fighting gravity as it is pulling this heavy room up hill. Maybe the wheel's are too loose and let the whole thing flop too much?

I guess I could try adding some lube and then try to clean it off if it doesn't help. Anyone else experienced with these rear sliding bed mechanism?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrageek View Post
This setup has two U-shaped bars which support each side of the bed. Each bar has 2 paris of metal wheels which are located in the cabinet at the foot of the bed spaced so the bars are forced to stay mostly horizontal. There is a little play in these because the bed extends 5' or so but the wheel pairs or only 6-8" appart, so the end of the bed probably drops 3-4" or so unless the mechanism is fully extended so that the upper frame of the bed pushes against the frame in the trailer enough to force it to be more "level".

In the middle of each of these "U" shaped tracks there is a toothed piece that is moved by a gear located between the wheel pairs and joined with a long shaft back to the middle of the cabinet where there is a motor and gear box. (one of the links I put in above has a great diagram of this)

I've considered adding lube to this whole assembly, but it really didn't seem like it would make much difference. Metal rollowing wheels against the metal "U" shaped bars shouldn't add much in the way of friction. The gear connection shouldn't have much friction either. The instruction manual specifically states to not add lubrication and I assume that is because dirt and crud will stick to the lube and wear things out faster. It's currently very clean and I can't see why it would be so difficult to move other than fighting gravity as it is pulling this heavy room up hill. Maybe the wheel's are too loose and let the whole thing flop too much?

I guess I could try adding some lube and then try to clean it off if it doesn't help. Anyone else experienced with these rear sliding bed mechanism?
Absolutely you should not use a grease, but you can used a "dry-lube such as Moly plate or graphite based spray applied. Gears have tremendous friction when dry and so do steel wheels against a tract. In high power apps they would "cook" in seconds without lube. Lippert doesn't want sticky persistant lubes to attract dirt as you mentioned. Even paraffin (candle wax) will go on thin and is a very good lube.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Absolutely you should not use a grease, but you can used a "dry-lube such as Moly plate or graphite based spray applied. Gears have tremendous friction when dry and so do steel wheels against a tract. In high power apps they would "cook" in seconds without lube. Lippert doesn't want sticky persistant lubes to attract dirt as you mentioned. Even paraffin (candle wax) will go on thin and is a very good lube.
Mine required that I put a non sticking lub like lithium base it will not attract dirt, it has to have a lube, or graphite base will work, but I know I was told by my dealer to use lithium base on the sprocket and roller area. After I did that it quit skipping gears I spayed the hell out of it anything that moved and never had a problem again..
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #18

Fascinating. That may be exactly what I need then. Maybe that will solve my problem without a trip to the dealer. Is this what you had in mind:

Amazon.com: Permatex 81981 White Lithium Grease, 10.75 oz. Aerosol Can: Automotive

Are you sure it won't collect dirt and crud? Seems like an easy option if you guys say this is the right stuff. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrageek View Post
Fascinating. That may be exactly what I need then. Maybe that will solve my problem without a trip to the dealer. Is this what you had in mind:

Amazon.com: Permatex 81981 White Lithium Grease, 10.75 oz. Aerosol Can: Automotive

Are you sure it won't collect dirt and crud? Seems like an easy option if you guys say this is the right stuff. Thanks!
Yes That is the stuff it WILL NOT attract dirt, also you can get it at any auto parts store, I wouldn't buy from Amazon .com I been using it for years and it is recommended for all parts.(Napa has it or any other auto parts store) I would try it first. .......And do not be afraid to really put it on, then run in and out and do it again then at least once a year......... Also buy a tube of the paste to apply to your hitch, makes things a lot easier to hook up and unhook. I promise it will not attract dirt and grim. My door handle was all most impossible to open and close I sprayed that inside my locks and door handles and it's like butter now. It can not hurt to try first.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #20

Did you mean "will NOT attract dirt"?
Why wouldn't you buy it from Amazon? I find that they usually get it directly to my door before I have a chance to get to a store.