Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #1

Slide creeps while traveling

I have 2015 Cedar Creek with three slides and the all three creep out while traveling. Lippert says it’s probably a cylinder that is leaking internally but i’ve Had them checked and they are ok. Anyone had a similar experience?
wtblakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtblakeman View Post
I have 2015 Cedar Creek with three slides and the all three creep out while traveling. Lippert says it’s probably a cylinder that is leaking internally but i’ve Had them checked and they are ok. Anyone had a similar experience?
How did you check an internal seal leak? There will be no outside indication of oil leakage.
If all three are creeping out, I would suspect the valve close to the pump. Sometime I will exercise the valve manually (hex key) to ensure it is fully seated and free of debris. Go to the Lippert site and find the manual for your system and it will give instructions for this.
Do they creep out all the time, even while stored?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #3

I removed the cylinders and took them to a local hydraulic repair shop to have them checked. The slides do no creep while stored, only when moving down the road. I have talked with Lippert and they say the problem is likely the cylinders, but if not they have no explaination
Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #4

Ah. Good way to check the cylinders for internal leakage! Interesting. If it was only one slide, I would think cylinder, but all of them? Might try your luck with a different Lippert tech or call an independent RV service only shop. They might be of some help.
Let us know if you find out anything. Would be beneficial to the rest of us to know what the solution is.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

Some Amish techs checked my front two cylinders for internal leakage at the Goshen rally two years ago. They did it by attaching gauges and pressurizing. I had them check things out because my 5er would settle, nose down, over a few days. Just a couple degrees but I would have to re-level at least once a week. They replaced one of the front cylinders that they said was showing a very small internal leak, which fixed the issue.

In your case, I suspect a leaky solenoid instead of cylinders. If the solenoid doesn't seal well. pressure can leak by to the entire system that the solenoid controls.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

When your slides retract fluid is all moved back into the reservoir (except a small bit in each cylinder and the hoses of course)

This is when your reservoir level is at its highest.

Make a mark on the outside at that highest level.

When you see the slides have extended, check the level. Im betting it is lower because fluid is leaking past the solenoid valve.

Being the anal retentive maintenance guy Id most likely buy a solenoid valve and change it without even doing the above.

Another thing most dont think about is the condition of their hydraulic fluid. Like all fluids in your vehicles contaminates sometimes get into it and are only removed by changing the fluid.

I know I know there is no scheduled change period and no drain valve in the reservoir.

I change mine every couple years, using ATF. This tool helps make it a snap by sucking the old fluid out of the top:

https://harborfreight.com/brake-flui...der-92924.html
Old 06-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #7

That’s a refreshing new idea. I’ll give it a try. There is a number of things that could be causing the problem and you can spend a fortune trying things.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

We had the same issue on our '07 Cardinal. Turns out that the check valves at the front pump/reservoir had loosened ever so slightly over the years of rolling down the road. After tightening each one up, have not had an issue until this past week - but that is a different story all together! Not hijack the OP, our slides creeped out after sitting in storage for a couple weeks. I'm starting a new post for ideas/thoughts. Happy travels!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #9

Spent almost my first two years chasing same issue. Dealer 'fixed' it. Independent tech, two of them, "fixed" it. None of that fixed it. Even had an actual Lippert tech meet me at a campsite in Missouri, and he said "It's the ALTA board, not my issue". That board is up front and is the control board for the remote. Slide wiring goes through there, whether you use remote or not. He cut some wires, rerouted stuff, and left. It was a huge mess, and he made it worse than ever.

Then Amish Family Services fixed it. However, admittedly they had a hard time diagnosing it. They replaced the pump, twice. Then replaced the valves. Then two of the Rams (3 slides total). Stayed fixed about a week. Took it back and in frustration they replaced the pump again, still creeped out. So they replaced the two Rams from first time, again.........and then they replaced the one ram (kitchen slide) that no one had replaced. Voila, fixed. No issue since.

It was leaking.......and I had THREE bad rams from factory. But leaks can occur at pump, valves, rams, etc. My leak was so small that the reservoir never looked any lower. But it caused the system to have no pressure when slides closed. So they crept out driving down the road. Scary. But finally all fixed.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #10

Thanks, i’m Looking for any ideas at this point

Tags
slide, travel