Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #1

Slide cycle life expectancy

After watching this forum for over a year now, I have seen many posts on peoples slide outs not working. It seems like it's not IF you are going to have a problem with your slide but WHEN.
Does anyone have any idea how many cycles you can expect to get out of a slide before it has serious problems?
Old 12-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

It probably depends on the type of slide, the size, and how well it's cared for.

I know my camper is a 2008 and it's still working strong. No issues.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree... just too many factors to give an accurate count.

I will say of those that fail, it seems they have issues sooner rather than later.

Many are from being installed incorrectly or out of square, others seem to be user related. (not understanding when to hold the button such as on Schwintek types and when to stop holding the button on Lippert through frame types)

Mine (non Schwintek) have been in/out hundreds of times. No issues... yet.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I agree... just too many factors to give an accurate count.

I will say of those that fail, it seems they have issues sooner rather than later.

Many are from being installed incorrectly or out of square, others seem to be user related. (not understanding when to hold the button such as on Schwintek types and when to stop holding the button on Lippert through frame types)

Mine (non Schwintek) have been in/out hundreds of times. No issues... yet.
I have the Lippert "Rack and Pinion" type slide on my trailer. Trailer's relatively new (starting 3rd season) but I use dry lube on the support slide mechanism to keep it sliding freely and don't hold the button down to let the clutch chatter when slide reaches end of travel (in or out).

I also keep my batteries charged so motor doesn't draw excessive current.

I figure if I do my part there's no reason that the slide shouldn't work for years and years. Kind of like the electric tongue hack and electric windows in one's car, etc. Don't abuse them and they won't "abuse you".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Thanks all. I've got the Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out for my dinette that is 87" wide.
If it were ever stuck in, it wouldn't be a problem because our trailer is wide enough to have it in and still be able to camp.
Only thing that concerns me is that there's no manual crank. I'd hate to be stuck out somewhere when it's time to leave.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky310 View Post
Thanks all. I've got the Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out for my dinette that is 87" wide.
If it were ever stuck in, it wouldn't be a problem because our trailer is wide enough to have it in and still be able to camp.
Only thing that concerns me is that there's no manual crank. I'd hate to be stuck out somewhere when it's time to leave.
Been there a couple of times and learned about how to disengage the motors from the tops of the drive rods so we were able to push the slide in manually. With motors disengaged it is essential to secure the slide in place before travelling.

There is lots of information about Schwintek slides on the internet which covers trouble shooting and fixes. A tech told me that its important to always run the slide fully out/in and hold the button for about 3 seconds once the slide has opened/closed fully. Apparently there is some sort of calibration that takes place and lets the system know the position of the slide. Running the slide in/out a few inches and stopping screws up the calibration. My slides always sounded like they were struggling and I never relaxed until they were out/in.

I changed my unit and now have hydraulic slides but I am always mindful of the weight I put in the slide. I generally load heavy stuff in the basement which keeps the centre of gravity low and reduces weight on the slide. When I get to my destination I move stuff from the basement to the slides.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #7

I have 4 slides ,when I push them out or close them up, the motor will stop 5 or 6 seconds then will start again while pushing the switch.It seems to happen when the biggest slide engages.I am not sure if they just need adjusting or if its something with the motor.My rv is a 2012.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:07 AM   #8

Good to know they use a clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have the Lippert "Rack and Pinion" type slide on my trailer. Trailer's relatively new (starting 3rd season) but I use dry lube on the support slide mechanism to keep it sliding freely and don't hold the button down to let the clutch chatter when slide reaches end of travel (in or out).

I also keep my batteries charged so motor doesn't draw excessive current.

I figure if I do my part there's no reason that the slide shouldn't work for years and years. Kind of like the electric tongue hack and electric windows in one's car, etc. Don't abuse them and they won't "abuse you".
I have no idea what brand slides are on our new 2860DS, but I was concerned that it was gear noise when the slide reached it's travel limit. It's good to know it's got a type of clutch. I'm guessing it's a dog type clutch that cams out to disengage, hence the noise.

The bedroom slide motor and gearbox are readily accessible under the bed. I'm not sure about the living room slide.
I too, am careful not to hold the switch once the slide is all the way in or out.
I know these things are built and sold on a narrow profit margin, but I would expect any decent piece of equipment to use limit switches instead of a mechanical limit.
I wonder if high end RVs are equipped as such.
n1acguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide