Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #1

Slide floor construction

Hello,
Just joined the group. Hoping to learn lots on our first travel trailer.

2016 Salem 29BHDS

Bought it used. Everything works as it should.

So my issue is:

I have to replace a piece of the wood in the rear bunk slideout. How is the floor constructed? Is it a single piece of plywood, or is it a sandwich construction. I was hoping to just cut the affected area out and put in a replacement piece of plywood.

Thanks

John D.
69firefowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
Lowandslow

Hi John,
I just cut an access panel in my slide, it is a steel frame with approximately 5/8 inch plywood on top, filled with a white foam type substance, and the bottom side is fiberglass. My rig is a 2006 however it’s probably about the same. I set my Skil saw for approximately three-quarter inch and cut a nice square through it to access the slide electric motor and gear box to replace a roll pin.
Eagleslink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #3

re

Yours might be the heated underbelly. Mine is not. I have a feeling that my floor is one piece of wood.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #4

Mine is a 2006 and the slide floor is a single sheet of OSB. Not sure of the thickness yet, but I have some water damage that I am going to cut out and piece back in.
tvengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #5

So I was able to dig into the slide issue some more. Seems like water is coming in from the window area. It was only wet in the stud area to the left of the window handle Marked in red on the last picture. I think I caught it in time. Floor has some water marks and so does the wall footer board. I left a fan run all night blowing on it. Seems to be pretty dry. My plans are to BIN 123 primer it really good. As far as the water issue, would it be wiser to caulk around it or pull it? Below are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2226.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	172209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	172210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	172212  
Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

found the leak, there was a gap in the window caulk on the top of the window outside. sealed it up. painted the floor tonight with BIN 123 primer. WOW, the fumes were horrific.

Now time to reassemble.

Will post pictures.

Tags
floor, slide