Old 07-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Dallas Texas

Slide Hydr Pump

I've got a minor leak from the pump of which I'm still narrowing down its location. At this time I think its coming from between the pump housing and reservoir. Based on how much RTV was squeezed out when they originally connected the two I'm wondering if there's not an O ring between them.

Has anyone ever disassembled one? What did you find?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump&Motor.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	16555  

Old 07-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

I have not disassembled one of those Lippert units, but have worked on many which look similar, so - -
Drive motor to the left, distribution block in the middle, reservoir to the right. The motor is reversible so that means the control valve assembly is built into the distribution block. Depending on which way the motor is running the distribution block will route the hydraulic fluid in the direction it should go.
From my experience: There should be at least two (2), or maybe more, "O-rings" between the reservoir and the distribution block. Any one, or more, of these O-rings can/will develop a tiny leak. Fluid should be visible between the reservoir and the distribution block. These O-rings are most likely common sizes and probably can be found at any decent auto parts store. DO NOT lubricate with Vaseline. Vaseline will actually deteriorate the black looking (Buna-N) O-rings. Get a tube of hydraulic O-ring lube, common name: "Lub-a-cyl".
Be sure if you do tear this apart to put the distribution block back in the exact way it came out, or it won't work. Ask me how I learned.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Dallas Texas

Thanks for the info. From the looks of it I would think they have at least one o ring but with all the sealant they added I thought maybe it was a flush with sealant seal only. Similar to oil pans and rear end covers on many cars these days.

I'll add this to my to do list and post pics of what I find.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Dallas Texas

Well, I finally got some time to work on my leak. Below are a few pictures thus far.
The first pic Iím siphoning the hyd oil out of the reservoir (hose running down). Notice the black sealant between the pump body and reservoir that had oozed out when it was assembled.
Second pic is with the reservoir removed showing the O-ring covered in the black sealant. You can also see the PU tube with a screen filter on it.
Third shows a bunch of gook that was on a magnet stuck to the PU tube.
And finally Iíve got the sealant removed. Now Iím waiting for a response from Lippert on the PN for the O-ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02393.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	18767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02395.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	18768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02394.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	18769   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02396.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	18770  
Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Dallas Texas

I found out the pump was made by Haldex. I never got a response from Lippert so I called them. They said Forest River used Haldex for one year then they went out of business. Absolutely no parts are available. There is a $1200 pump offered for a permanent solution.

They recommended putting the O-ring in with a good coating of high temp sealant. And, build a base for the reservoir to prevent it from heavy vibration during transport. That is the cause for it leaking. In other words, a design flaw.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #6

My Cedar Creek looks like the same unit. I removed the reservoir and the O-ring. I spiral wrapped the O-ring in teflon tape and reassembled. That fixed the leak at that location; there is a small seep nearest the motor. If it gets worse, I will do that side also.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Dallas Texas

Got the reservoir back in. Found the pump base was only secured on one side. Per Dometic the seal typically failed due to vibration during travel. I drilled a hole on the back side and added a 3/8 bolt. It's nice a tight now. You can see the new bolt on in the center towards the back.

I also added a temporary brace for the reservoir cut from a piece of styrofoam I had laying around. I made it to fit snug but not too much pressure on the tank. This will have to do into I get piece or wood cut.

I think most of the vibration came from the back side not being secured.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02414.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	19110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02415.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	19111