Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Slide leaking from bottom

I have a 2006 Wildcat R27 with a 12 ft slide. The wife and I did some towing with it in an all day rain storm. When we settled in for the night, we noticed that the floor above the tires was very wet, apparently leaking in from the tire spray. The slide carpet was dry, but the carpet underneath and into the cab was wet. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I did notice that from underneath, there is a 2" x 2" steel frame on the camper main frame, and another 2" x 2" steel frame bar on the slide, but when the slide is closed, there is a 2" separation between the two. A flat, thin (1/6") piece of rubber seal in glued on one of them, but nothing on the other. Did something fall out?
The Zogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Could you post a picture of what you're describing? Does the slide fit tight to the sidewall when fully retracted and is the seal/wiper across the bottom in proper position?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #3

I tried to attach an image, but I don't think this is working for me. I don't see where there is any seal on the bottom. Could be it fell off!!!?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that there should be some type of seal arrangement on the bottom...bulb and wiper similar to the sides and top.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You should have a rubber seal on all four sides that fit tight. I will attach some pics from my slides to show you at we are talking about. Keep in mind the seals on my slides are malfunctioning and are rolled in instead of sealing tight. The picture of the top seal shows the seal half rolled up and half correct. (Mine is at the dealership getting these issues fixed). The section that is flat is correct and sold fit like that the whole way around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33lcf84.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	75344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	75345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	75346  
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zogs View Post
I tried to attach an image, but I don't think this is working for me. I don't see where there is any seal on the bottom. Could be it fell off!!!?
To post pictures on the forum. you need to go to the advanced posting option, then scroll down below the text box to additional options and click on manage attachments. Then click on choose file. Click on the picture on your computer you want to upload. You can do multiple pictures. Then click upload. Once they are uploaded, scroll to the bottom and click on close window button. Finish your text and click submit. Pictures should show up for you.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zogs View Post
I have a 2006 Wildcat R27 with a 12 ft slide. The wife and I did some towing with it in an all day rain storm. When we settled in for the night, we noticed that the floor above the tires was very wet, apparently leaking in from the tire spray. The slide carpet was dry, but the carpet underneath and into the cab was wet. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I did notice that from underneath, there is a 2" x 2" steel frame on the camper main frame, and another 2" x 2" steel frame bar on the slide, but when the slide is closed, there is a 2" separation between the two. A flat, thin (1/6") piece of rubber seal in glued on one of them, but nothing on the other. Did something fall out?
I had the same problem as you. I bought a two piece of aluminum L channel 2X2 at my local hardware store and after I went to the RV dealer they were kind enough to let me their warehouse and I picked the right seal and pushed it on the aluminum channel and screwed on to the bottom of the slide with self tapping stainless steel crews. I would send you picture but I sold my FW. Oh wait I might have it own my phone. Here it is. I hope this will help you.
Cheers
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #8

Here it is
Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

I hope this time will go through
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140921_173600.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	75404   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140921_173607.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	75405   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140921_173629.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	75406  
Old 04-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
When your slide is closed check underneath. the rubber gasket should be tight against the wall. Our Wildcat was missing the gasket & water thrown up by the wheels was getting inside.Good luck.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #11

I went to Home depot and got household spray foam used to seal etc. and can of gray spray paint and solved my problem..

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #12

Mine was not missing a sweeper underneath but as we pulled in the slide the slide tips over and comes up about 2-3 inches and the result is about 2.5 inch. The rubber seal was protecting it when it was out but when we pulled in the slide created a huge gap. I could see light inside my FW under the slide when it was in travel mode slides in. The road rain as the tire spinning brought the rain water through the gap under the slide and ended up on my kitchen floor. It was a bad design and the factory overlooked this problem. I fixed numerous things like lose moldings, kinked pipes, insulation in the underbelly the list is too long. Ones I fixed all that than we traded it in for a MH. Now I'm fixing everything on that. I always find a way to make something better.

There is no standards in the RV business so the RV MF can sell any junk for a big bucks. The dealers will not fix anything which was not originally included in the RV. I'm sure most of you know all this already. No RV is perfect.
Happy camping.
Cheers
Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtony2 View Post
I went to Home depot and got household spray foam used to seal etc. and can of gray spray paint and solved my problem..

gtony2
the slide has to move inside out how did you manage to seal it solid and close it or open it again?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #14

water on rug under slide from wheel splash

I had the same problem with water splashed up from the tires, I found by accident when lubing the slide mechanism, that the carrier that holds the elect, hoses, cables between the main body and slide, when closed one of the hoses/cables was loose and laid up on the seal letting it leak. seeing your pics reminded me of that .so check it out it might be your situation to. good luck
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The issue you saw in my pics is similAr to what is described above. We can easily slide a hand through the gaps. Our dealership's repair plan includes moving the location of the bottom strip to allow it to seal better.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
The issue you saw in my pics is similAr to what is described above. We can easily slide a hand through the gaps. Our dealership's repair plan includes moving the location of the bottom strip to allow it to seal better.
I hope they can do it for you. My seal was not wide enough for that. As the slide moves in also lifts the bottom of the slide higher the seal is not wide enough to compensate for a huge gap. If they move it higher it will interfere with the slide when it's fully extended out. That flap seal is not enough to keep the water out even if they can make it work and raise it higher. That's only protecting the bottom of the slide when it's out., The constant pressure from the turning wheels the water will get under the slide . They should have two seals installed one for the outer side also. This is just my 2 cents worth. My FW was also a Forest River product. Make sure you check it before you pick it up and take it.
Happy camping
Old 04-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #17

Looks like the same thing I am seeing on mine. I went to Home Depot and fond a garage door trim seal that I mounted on one side and it overlaps the second when closed. Hope this does the trick. Thanks for all the input.

Tags
leak, slide